Sponsored by: APR

What did you do to your GT4 today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 08:05 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,487 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by orthodx2000
Hello, been a long time since I posted but I am guessing I have one of the highest mileage GT4's in the world.
Actually getting ready to go 77777 in under a thousand miles.
Tracked her at MSR Cresson last month and she ran great.

Car has been wonderful. Only work on the car has been routine maintenance other than road incidents.
By that I mean I hit some old exhaust material on the road in poor visibility who cost me a new front nose and then last November, again in poor visibility, hit a nearly intact deer carcass going 75MPH which is the posted speed.
That also took out the front nose but also the front trunk and with various other Porsche parts turned out to be fairly expensive. Luckily no frame or suspension damage. I was without her for about 3 months total since the trunk has to be flown in from Germany and then the front repainted.

So quickly why so many miles??? when I bought her, I lived 6 miles from work, then got a great job which is 200 miles roundtrip at least 4 days/week and sometimes 5 times. My daily driver failed on me, bought a second home, and just never got around to getting another vehicle. I cringe at the depreciation on the car but it is a great daily driver for me. What I have lost in the value in the car is less than I would have paid for a second car of comparable personal pleasure so I don't really think about it.
I drive 3 miles to the highway on ramp, drive 85 miles of highway and then another 5 or so to get to work in Oklahoma. No traffic so average commute time is about 1:20 although it can vary.
I switched to 19" rims to get a cheaper 3 season tire but I use RE71's for track days. only other mods are a harness cage, bits to alter the suspension and a track seat 5way harness.
The plan is to drive this to 150-200k and then get a GT3 when I retire and move.

Looked at the resale market and I couldn't find a GT4 with over 20k.
Anyone else close to my mileage?
Loved reading your story! Thanks for sharing! So you have not had a third gear failure? There is hope!!
Congrats on enjoying the miles. BRAVO!!! If you’ve gotta commute that type of distance, might as well make it FUN and enjoy every moment!
Old 07-19-2018, 10:05 AM
benben01
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Bravo Ortho! Love seeing owners such as yourself who prioritizes enjoyment and pleasure of ownership over "re-sale" or collectibility... Keep racking up the miles and check in periodically.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:48 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 539 Posts

Congratulations on putting miles on your car. My guess is there are not too many GT4s in the 20k plus miles range.

I'm taking a 3 day drive next weekend and should pass 20k before I get back. Nothing close to you.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:04 PM
OpenWheelFan
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats, indeed. Mine just turned over the 15k mark, most of which were posted by the original owner. Life is a highway, so enjoy the drive.

Onward.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:42 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Almost 18k here....
Old 07-21-2018, 11:34 PM
benben01
Rennlist Member

Just crossed 11K this week. Swapped out the stainless steel GT3 muffler in favor of the titanium one from the RS... Lighter is better ya?
Old 07-22-2018, 01:37 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by benben01
Just crossed 11K this week. Swapped out the stainless steel GT3 muffler in favor of the titanium one from the RS... Lighter is better ya?
Sweet! Did you notice any difference in sound? I have the RS titanium one and have been wondering if the stainless version would drone less....
Old 07-22-2018, 03:19 PM
benben01
Rennlist Member

I actually like the Titanium muffler better as it is less "tinny" sounding than the stainless one... My setup has never drone since I have the Dundon headers which had an extra runner to cancel out drone.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:28 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by benben01
I actually like the Titanium muffler better as it is less "tinny" sounding than the stainless one... My setup has never drone since I have the Dundon headers which had an extra runner to cancel out drone.
Thanks for the input! Good to know, I also have the DMS race headers and get some serious drone from about in the 2k-3k rpm range with the GT3 center (was drone free with the stock GT4 exhaust). How is your exhaust mounted? I think I have a 997 cup mount and maybe I need to find a rubber intermediary mount or something to isolate the connection between the exhaust and chassis a bit to reduce drone. Sound is awesome though and yeah, the RS box sounds meaty, not tinny at all.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:36 PM
benben01
Rennlist Member

I bolted the TPC bracket directly to back of the transmission case with no rubber bushings or insulators.. I may lean towards that in the future. Maybe I am so used to loud exhaust systems in the past few years that I am immuned to drone... I drove with the AC on, windows up and exhaust flaps closed this pass week in that 2-3K range on the highway and no issues with drone. Even had a very long phone call in the car and no complaints from the caller.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:47 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

Hello, been a long time since I posted but I am guessing I have one of the highest mileage GT4's in the world.
Actually getting ready to go 77777 in under a thousand miles.
Tracked her at MSR Cresson last month and she ran great.

Car has been wonderful. Only work on the car has been routine maintenance other than road incidents.
By that I mean I hit some old exhaust material on the road in poor visibility who cost me a new front nose and then last November, again in poor visibility, hit a nearly intact deer carcass going 75MPH which is the posted speed.
That also took out the front nose but also the front trunk and with various other Porsche parts turned out to be fairly expensive. Luckily no frame or suspension damage. I was without her for about 3 months total since the trunk has to be flown in from Germany and then the front repainted.

So quickly why so many miles??? when I bought her, I lived 6 miles from work, then got a great job which is 200 miles roundtrip at least 4 days/week and sometimes 5 times. My daily driver failed on me, bought a second home, and just never got around to getting another vehicle. I cringe at the depreciation on the car but it is a great daily driver for me. What I have lost in the value in the car is less than I would have paid for a second car of comparable personal pleasure so I don't really think about it.
I drive 3 miles to the highway on ramp, drive 85 miles of highway and then another 5 or so to get to work in Oklahoma. No traffic so average commute time is about 1:20 although it can vary.
I switched to 19" rims to get a cheaper 3 season tire but I use RE71's for track days. only other mods are a harness cage, bits to alter the suspension and a track seat 5way harness.
The plan is to drive this to 150-200k and then get a GT3 when I retire and move.

Looked at the resale market and I couldn't find a GT4 with over 20k.
Anyone else close to my mileage?
You haven't lost a thing. You've gotten good use out of the vehicle for the money you plopped down versus the garage queens that were bought over sticker and still trying to be sold over sticker after 2 years. I applaud your efforts.
The following users liked this post:
Spike Spiegel (01-04-2020)
Old 07-26-2018, 01:31 AM
NephroC4S
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ortho that’s awesome man! Love your story. Hope to see you again at Hallett sometime.

I had a nice detail inside and out today.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:16 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 238 Posts

All those six's and playing The Stone's Sympathy for the Devil? Nice catch! Surprised 3rd gear didn't blow right then just because of this dark alignment.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:59 PM
yeaayouu
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 07-27-2018, 02:35 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 971 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by yeaayouu
I like this. I like this a lot.

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GT4 today?