GT4 Clubsport info from Tech Tactics West

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 11:47 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,051 Likes on 2,850 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
This one is simple. If it is DOT approved, it's a street tire. Porsche can't reject a street tire. A Hoosier is a street tire.
Agree and while I have no direct experience with either on the GT4, I would guess the Michelin racing slicks made for the CS are significantly faster than R7's.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:48 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

The words in Porsche's mouth is not to use racing tires--they say nothing of DOT or street tires. Hoosiers are sold for racing, that is how Hoosier describes them and warns against their use on public roads.

Use Hoosiers at your own risk. It may be a risk you are willing to take, but recognize it as the risk it is.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:06 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
The words in Porsche's mouth is not to use racing tires--they say nothing of DOT or street tires. Hoosiers are sold for racing, that is how Hoosier describes them and warns against their use on public roads.

Use Hoosiers at your own risk. It may be a risk you are willing to take, but recognize it as the risk it is.
I understand your concern, Chris. But remember the manual specifically mentions "Slicks" in the context of "Racing Tires" and both OEM tires are also associated with Racing in their marketing (and the Dunlops even have "Race" in the model name).

I think one way to clearly distinguish Racing Slicks from the allowable Track tires is that they don't even share the same sizing conventions. For instance, the Michelin Slick on the Clubsport use the sizes 25/64-18 and 27/68-18. Pretty different from the 265/35/19 and 295/30/19 nomenclature on the Hoosiers (same convention used for road tires), for instance.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:19 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
If more oil isn't a problem for the GT4 CS, why not just program the GT4 engine to allow more oil?
My guess is that overfilling the sump, while providing protection against oil starvation at high Gs, will also create more windage that reduces efficiency (i.e. mileage). To me it's more interesting (and puzzling) that the manual recommends that optimum oil level for the track is one bar down.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:26 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,414 Likes on 2,509 Posts

To throw more data (and confusion) into the mix, here's the website for the OEM Cup 2 tire:

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tir...rt-cup-2.html#

And here are some quotes from the website (bold added):
"Bi-Compound Technology utilizes an endurance racing compound in the outer tread and a rigid elastomer in the inner tread."

"Tread compounds of the same family as Porsche Cup N2 racing slick tires."
So where do we draw the line between R-comp versus slick, street versus racing tire?
Old 11-24-2015, 01:31 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
So where do we draw the line between R-comp versus slick, street versus racing tire?
See my post above (#48) - if it uses "Street Sizing and is DOT approved" then it's ok.

If it uses "Racing Slick" sizing and is not DOT approved, it's not ok.

It's possible that Porsche could disclaim a warranty repair if one is using Hoosiers, but I think the customer would have a very strong case if one chose to fight that decision. Certainly the safest thing to do is use one of the 2 OEM tires in OEM sizes on OEM rims, but I don't think using other DOT tires is very risky (unless Porsche clarifies their warranty coverage to the contrary).
Old 11-24-2015, 05:11 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One other question, do you think the Porsche track app will be available for retro fit without the addition of the sports chrono? They mention in the video that this is the best and simplest way to get data. I did notice that the GT4 clubsport did not have the sports chrono. I want to be hopeful that this is possible.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:07 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
My guess is that overfilling the sump, while providing protection against oil starvation at high Gs, will also create more windage that reduces efficiency (i.e. mileage). To me it's more interesting (and puzzling) that the manual recommends that optimum oil level for the track is one bar down.
Space left for when the oil gets hot i.e. about .5L
Old 11-25-2015, 08:43 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 602 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ML///
One thing that stood out to me was the mention of different wheel bearings. I'm wondering if this is a potential weak point of the street car. Thanks for the slides! These are very helpful.
I think it's more because the uprights are radically different and therefore the bearings are. The strut style suspension puts more stress on bearings. The new uprights and bearings should have a long and useful life.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:22 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 390 Posts

Nobody seems to have picked up on a big change on the CS no seen on the street GT4

The whole front clip is from a 991Cup including twin master cylinders and then added adjustable racing ABS not seen on the Cup cars
Old 11-25-2015, 06:09 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,414 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Personally, I see the GT4 CS as having only moderate similarity to the regular GT4 (just as I see the GT4 having only moderate similarity to the other street Caymans). The CS and GT4 share essentially the same engine, but most everything else is quite different - suspension, brakes, transmission, wheels, tires, etc. It's track-only race car versus combo street/track car - different machines for different purposes.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:20 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Nobody seems to have picked up on a big change on the CS no seen on the street GT4

The whole front clip is from a 991Cup including twin master cylinders and then added adjustable racing ABS not seen on the Cup cars
It can be optioned either way, the larger fuel cell requires the balance bar braking system
Old 11-25-2015, 11:32 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Old 11-26-2015, 10:03 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
It can be optioned either way, the larger fuel cell requires the balance bar braking system
yes there are 2 fuel cell sizes but the front clip is the same w/ either. You get twin masters and balance bar from the 991Cup either way.

For some reason they call it "2-circle brake system"

The cabin air seems to be simplified too.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:19 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Another video (hopefully not a repost)

Quick Reply: GT4 Clubsport info from Tech Tactics West