Thanks for all the effort in getting these videos posted on YouTube so
that we could see them here at Rennlist. That is a really helpful thing
to do! I urge others to follow this example and take videos of these
imformative talks by Porsche staff at public events such as Tech Tactics,
Rennsport, PCA Parade, etc and post them here on Rennlist. I video-
taped part of Andreas Preuninger's talk at the PCA hospitality tent at
Rennsport V two months ago & it took me hours to transcribe the
words captured in that video!

Rennsport V Report...Let's start with the talk of Andreas Preuninger!
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...reuninger.html

Posting the actual video via YouTube, then in this forum is a much
better way to go!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 11-22-2015, 05:49 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I've been dealing with a very sick pet, who spent the day in the ICU while I was at tech tactics, so I haven't been able to review the videos, I think the sound is OK.

I do have one more goody from the day, they provided us with copies of the powerpoint slides. Not sure how to share those on here?
Old 11-22-2015, 05:51 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

totally awesome. we were hoping AP would sign our cars so we picked up a paint pen, didn't know who Matthias was at the time. While it would have been great to meet AP, Matthias made up for it big time. Pretty awesome to have him sign her GT4 and now looking back on it I am a little bummed that I didn't have him sign my GT3!

Old 11-22-2015, 07:03 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hope your pet gets well soon. Sorry to hear the news.
As for getting the car signed--well done! I met AP, Walliser, and a few others at RRV, but didn't drive down so no chance for that. Fortunately, I had brought my owner's manual along and got that signed instead. They seemed very accommodating and were happy to make my day with the gesture. I'm so glad to see these guys from PAG are connecting personally with their customer base, particularly enthusiasts like you.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:11 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,270 Likes on 619 Posts

Not that it's a huge factor, but the lap times mentioned in the slide deck compare very favorably with road cars even on stickiest tires.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:17 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 76 Posts

So if the clubsport also uses integrated dry sump just like the road car, I wonder why why the warning against using slicks on the road car... just CYA against warranty claims?

ps. Thanks bigraig for sharing, hope your pet gets well soon.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:10 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ I'm wondering if it's the strength of the suspension that does not allow for full slicks.

Bigkraig - the videos were great! I love all the little technical details you heard in the video. Plus I had no idea how strict they are on getting a new race chassis.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:28 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Thanks bud for all the effort !!!

Awesome
Hope the pet is OK

Best regards
Ed
Old 11-22-2015, 10:58 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
So if the clubsport also uses integrated dry sump just like the road car, I wonder why why the warning against using slicks on the road car... just CYA against warranty claims?

ps. Thanks bigraig for sharing, hope your pet gets well soon.
Originally Posted by ML///
^ I'm wondering if it's the strength of the suspension that does not allow for full slicks.

Bigkraig - the videos were great! I love all the little technical details you heard in the video. Plus I had no idea how strict they are on getting a new race chassis.
Yes first off BIG thanks to Kraig and Eduardo and any others taking the time and considerable effort to film and upload - first principles rule!

The first post above is spot on - handbook says slicks are not suggested despite 5 oil pumps and Integrated dry sump ... Not related to suspension though it's a fair point too ... Still puzzled unless it just means P avoiding warrantying GT4 racers on slicks in road cars

... But warranty aside this detail from the CS shows our road cars have real GT type engines - ie bulletproof - despite them being just C2S
Agreed?
Old 11-22-2015, 11:40 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Sorry, for my omission on thanking Eduardo
Thanks for doing that too !!!
Regards
Ed
Old 11-22-2015, 11:48 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,907 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
Yesterdays Tech Tactics was probably the best one yet. Andreas Preuninger was scheduled to give a talk about the new GT4 Clubsport but a few days before was changed to Matthias Scholz. Matthias is the project manager for the 918, the cup car, and now the clubsport. Super nice guy, incredibly friendly, and seemed to be excited to be there with us as we were with him. I've recorded the video of his talk and the QA with him and Jens Walther, it's uploading to YouTube now.
Great stuff. Thanks for taking the time to share and post.

Originally Posted by HiWind
The first post above is spot on - handbook says slicks are not suggested despite 5 oil pumps and Integrated dry sump ... Not related to suspension though it's a fair point too ... Still puzzled unless it just means P avoiding warrantying GT4 racers on slicks in road cars
Slides on front and rear suspension changes certainly seem to provide insight as to why they want to exclude use of slicks on the non-Clubsport Cayman.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:09 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 53 Posts

This is great stuff ,,looking forward to seeing these in action ,,,,,so glad Porsche is developing this car ,I think it has been long over due ,,,it can only further enhance, the Porsche brand name even more and encourage more potential performance gains for the GT4 ...........Awesome
Old 11-23-2015, 08:38 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Slides on front and rear suspension changes certainly seem to provide insight as to why they want to exclude use of slicks on the non-Clubsport Cayman.
thanks for highlighting that Nizer - will review them again but my comment based on this excerpt below from GT4 road car owner's manual

.. but likely they're saying no slicks for a variety of reasons, inc the suspension as you say

ps - interestingly they mention the 2 mules being tested, one with manual and one with pdk - those were the vids we saw 3-4 months back with the white car with black bumper etc... from the italian youtuber
Old 11-23-2015, 10:18 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

A quick video summary form PCA

Old 11-23-2015, 01:14 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,326 Likes on 617 Posts

It was a great weekend, and really informative. Matthias was tops, and so were the OP and his SO.

Re: slicks: The GT4 Clubsport gets another liter (or quart, or something very close to it) of oil, and its computer has been reprogrammed to recognize new values in order to not throw an "overfill" code. In speaking with Matthias, it seems that part of their testing suggested the Clubsport was able to develop enough lateral acceleration to challenge the oil supply in certain corners—hence the additional oil, which they say solved the problem.

The production GT4, on slicks, would potentially be susceptible to the same failure, it seems. Question is whether we'll see someone reprogram its computer for new oil level settings so people can start running slicks on the street cars...

Quick Reply: GT4 Clubsport info from Tech Tactics West