Sponsored by: APR

4 Post Lift

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 04:39 PM
b46
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sonorous
I am using an older version of this one: https://amzn.com/B00NOSCDPA I like it because it is relatively quiet and I don't have air tools or higher CFM needs. It might not be enough for the rolling jack however.

Please post your opinion of the rolling jack after you get a chance to use it. I was thinking about adding one at some point...
I was looking at that air compressor - supposed to be super quiet. I'll post how the rolling jack is once I try it.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:32 PM
thigos
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 210 Posts

How much height clearance is required for a lift to clear with two sports cars? I really would like to get one but only have 9'3" ceilings in my garage.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:43 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by thigos
How much height clearance is required for a lift to clear with two sports cars? I really would like to get one but only have 9'3" ceilings in my garage.
The rule of thumb I was told by a Bendpak dealer was to add the height of both vehicles plus 10" and that will be the total min ceiling height that will work.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:56 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,362 Likes on 829 Posts

The rule of thumb I was told by a Bendpak dealer was to add the height of both vehicles plus 10" and that will be the total min ceiling height that will work.

There are way to many factors involved for a simple answer; regardless of who gives it - manufacturer's reply, etc, etc

1) What cars are you trying to stack?
2) Did you verify their height?
3) What is your height measurement from garage floor to bottom of open door?
4) Do you want access to all 4 sides of the cars?

These are just some of the basics you will need to look at and possibly modify to accommodate your wishes/dreams.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:22 PM
thigos
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 210 Posts

Crap, probably too tight. Thanks

Originally Posted by ExMB

There are way to many factors involved for a simple answer; regardless of who gives it - manufacturer's reply, etc, etc

1) What cars are you trying to stack?
2) Did you verify their height?
3) What is your height measurement from garage floor to bottom of open door?
4) Do you want access to all 4 sides of the cars?

These are just some of the basics you will need to look at and possibly modify to accommodate your wishes/dreams.

Gt4 and an e30 or '16 wrx.

Doesn't seem feasible. I guess it's time to sell my house.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:53 PM
loungin
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry L
I made do with one, not two, by lifting one end of the car at a time and supporting it with jack stands, then moving to the other end.
What lift points do you use with the bridge jack to raise one end and support it with jack stands? Do the jack stands sit on the runways?
Old 07-25-2016, 11:40 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by loungin
What lift points do you use with the bridge jack to raise one end and support it with jack stands? Do the jack stands sit on the runways?
I used the jack points to lift the car, then supported it on different points of the body or rear subframe. IIRC, on my GT3 I used places in the front underbody where the steel made corners. In the rear, I used the flat places under the main suspension sub frames. Look for places where the load is transmitted straight up and there is nothing to bend. I have also jacked up the engine from under the case where it flattened out. You will need at least one jack stand tray, but that usually comes with the lift.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:21 PM
loungin
Pro

Thanks, got my directlift pp8s this week. Looks great. Shimmed the ramp side 2" and still it's not level by 1/2" but it's probably ok. I put a 2x12 under the ramp lip to support them.

Tried backing in a lowered e36 on it and the bottom of the car couldn't clear the cross beam of the lift. Going to see if stacking another 2x12 will help for a total of 3". That car has about the ground clearance of the incoming GT4.

Tried backing on a stock e90 m3 and it cleared no problem but I had a heck of a time getting the car straight, not to fall off the runways. I felt like I was backing in blind.

How do you deal with backing the car up on the lift and making sure it's lined up properly with the runways?
Old 07-31-2016, 11:08 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by loungin
How do you deal with backing the car up on the lift and making sure it's lined up properly with the runways?
Thats the hard part I hate. I can drive forward and fast well but not worth a crap backwards. My 911 C2 is pretty narrow, so it is easier. I hope to be able to raise my garage door rails closer to the ceiling so I can pull straight in. Otherwise, I back up carefully and have to get out to check. I am going to keep a wheel block on the ramp where the rear wheel will back to so I know when to stop.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:08 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
Ordered my lift today. Install date of 8/17. Excited to get all four cars in the garage and get rid of my monthly car storage fee.

What air compressor did you all choose? Bendpak requires 125psi for operation.
So where did you buy from and who's doing the install?
Old 08-01-2016, 03:04 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
So where did you buy from and who's doing the install?
Becks Automotive lift Service is handling the install and I went with their recommended supplier- Workshop Depot.

Everything will be shipped to Becks and then brought here for install. Workshop Depot did give me a discount for a cash purchase which was significantly lower than any advertised price I've seen.

I'll let you know how the install goes in a couple weeks.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:15 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
Becks Automotive lift Service is handling the install and I went with their recommended supplier- Workshop Depot.

Everything will be shipped to Becks and then brought here for install. Workshop Depot did give me a discount for a cash purchase which was significantly lower than any advertised price I've seen.

I'll let you know how the install goes in a couple weeks.
Thanks. Looking at a similar set up.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:04 PM
loungin
Pro

Originally Posted by fishing
Thats the hard part I hate. I can drive forward and fast well but not worth a crap backwards. My 911 C2 is pretty narrow, so it is easier. I hope to be able to raise my garage door rails closer to the ceiling so I can pull straight in. Otherwise, I back up carefully and have to get out to check. I am going to keep a wheel block on the ramp where the rear wheel will back to so I know when to stop.
I'm thinking of painting lines extending from the outer edges of the runways all the way down my driveway to give me a visual reference to align to as I back in. It'll be ugly as heck but priorities lol. Safety first.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:13 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

A few months ago I did pretty extensive research and have a s/s put together across a dozen or so manufacturers/offerings (ACL, Bendpack, Backyard Buddy, Rotary, Mohawk, Challenger, Greg Smith, Eagle Equipment, Targetlifts, etc.) Happy to share it.

I nixed the idea as I need a longer term solution (warehouse) than just one lift, but had I pulled the trigger it likely would have been the Voyager Lift from American Custom Lifts - a company I would recommend (FWIW, Mitt Romney did his elaborate underground lift system from them). Second was the BendPack HD9.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:05 AM
GTS4TP
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have 2 porsches, i am pretty sure you will be okay with your ceiling height.
I have 9' 6" ceilings and can fit a 991 over a gt4 with a little over 3 inches of clearance to spare above each car.
In addition to the height of both cars, you only need an additional 6 inches of height (4 inch height of the platform and 2 inches of height needed to unlock the safety latch).
I have a Backyard Buddy, and they can custom make the lock point heights to fit your desired height. Definitely happy with my lift and, Matt from Backyard Buddy is very helpfu.

Quick Reply: 4 Post Lift