Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder Picture Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 12:06 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Friends,

What a perfect two days, I'll add my impressions as I know before receiving my car, that no matter how many people's words I read, I always wanted more. If this post is redundant.. Skip it.. It's just so much fun to share new toy sensations.

So... I Put 300 miles on it since picking up yesterday AM. I have done gentle excursions to 5000rpm to hear that incredible baritone brassy howl, and I can't wait for 1000 miles to be here. I have soundly scrubbed in the tires however with 10+ trips in the twisties from Skyline drive in Santa Cruz mountains down to the pacific coast and hwy1. The Pzeros were slippery when new, but appropriately grippy for the road now that they have a few miles under them. The car feels planted but powerful enough to get squirrelly in tight switchbacks.

..., the suspension.. From road use, seems superb. The x73 is firm but compliant, nothing new there. I'd say perfect. Car scrapes, I cannot imagine having a gt4 lip on it.. This is the limit for NorCal roads IMO.. As detailed in another thread, i can't get the car into my garage.. It's a mess I'm trying to solve. It's low.. Not insanely so.. But it would have been amazing with a front lift kit, at least in San Francisco where I live.

The balance... Found a little damp patch on 2-3 safe uphill switchbacks on 84 from Woodside, and experimented with the squiggly button off and a small amount of power oversteer and it felt GLORIOUS... Anna loved it and she said she felt like we were on top gear.. Haha.. Not sure if it's a compliment or not. I'm in love either way (with her and the car both)

Sound and looks..
Most surprising thing to me and also to mySA is the sound.. Very loud, very brassy, like a trumpet orchestra.. A-mazing sound. Driving between skyscrapers downtown I'm almost embarrassed at how it echoes... And the downshift crackles scare people on the sidewalk.. I have to turn of sport exhaust off downtown. Under accelerate and downshifts with PSE on, this car has an exhaust which I can't believe is legal. So loud with a high quality very exotic sound. Dealer said its one of the best sounding Porsche's next to a carrera gt he's heard. I agree.. It's got that multi-tonal... Complex sound. From a low rpm growl, to a trumpet orchestra high rpm howl. A 911 DOES NOT sound like this, it's got a throaty growl.. This thing SINGS! Not sure how they did it, but I'm almost scared to mess with the purity of it with any kind of aftermarket exhaust mods.

Power....
Power is adequate, I'm not disappointed, I'm not impressed. Yea gears are very long, yea torque in midrange isn't impressive. You have to rev it to make it go, so after breakin is finished I'm sure I'll be more impressed.

Brakes are great, steering feel is good, light and direct, not very communicative.

LWB....
The seating IS great. I am SO SO happy about the LWB. Even if they were not so comfortable I would probably be happy on the uber-exotic looks alone. Red leather with carbon with that thin look... Beautiful beautiful. The position, for my 175lb 5.10 frame is perfect... That's all I can say. Getting in and out is tough without rubbing bolsters, but I have technique down now and I told Anna to "think like a hummingbird and gently levitate over them and lightly sink in to the them.".. She gets it, she loves them too. The car is also so cocooning that I didn't miss seat heaters. definitely get these seats, the small amount of recline won't be missed. The seating position is full racecar.. High wheel, in your face, perfect recline.. Makes you feel like a champ!

INTERIOR OPTIONS...
Red steering column looks fantastic.. Gives a very finished look and matches the top of the dash.. I saw some without it and the black plastic in the middle of all that alcantara and leather was jarring. Red leather sun visors I also like, but more of a preference. To me they are beautiful and feel very nice to the touch.. I wanted as much red leather as possible, and least items to touch that were not leather or alcantara. I would not leave the visors standard, either red leather or gray alcantara.. I got the inner door sills in leather hoping they were red, but they are black with black stitching. Not worth it as I can't see them, save your money there. I really really like my leather edged floor mats.. Look really nice and finish out the bottom of the interior. Lastly.. I'm very happy with my silver belts.. Matches very well with silver trim and exterior and contrasts with seats. I also really like the leather dash surround.. no stitching but looks really luxurious and i'm staring at it the whole time. lastly the emblem on center console i also enjoy.. my suggestion is if you're getting the red interior, skip the inner leather door sills. if you're getting black with contrast stitching, then get those as well.

Synthesis...
This thing is a baby Carrera GT... Pete Stout called me on Friday and told me this same thing.. And now I feel it.. Or at least I want to believe it. Something about the cohesion between streamers on the trunk, lower body treatment, extended spoiler, wheels.. It's amazing... Amazing. The silver polished wheels are so much better in person than pics where they seem washed out.. I couldn't be happier.

One last thought.. Get your clearbra on. I drove two days, stayed away from other vehicles and somehow STILL ended up with a small chip on the hood. **** me!!!! Anyway... Cindy Crawford's mole and all that jazz....

Hope this helps, I'll post detailed pics tomorrow if anyone wants them but this car is same as everyone else's basically. Hope to meet other NorCal guys soon. Thank you everyone for sharing these special months of waiting together.. as big as the anticipation was, the reality is even bigger. I LOVE this car.. Love love love LOVE it. It's very special..
Attached Images         

Last edited by CAlexio; 02-01-2016 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:13 AM
porschemeister
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 981 Spyder Picture Thread

nice write up! fully agree with you, let's organize a Spyder get together in SF
Old 02-01-2016, 02:25 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by porschemeister
nice write up! fully agree with you, let's organize a Spyder get together in SF
I wish you would have thought this up a month ago I would have driven mine up there...
Old 02-01-2016, 02:29 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I wish you would have thought this up a month ago I would have driven mine up there...
let us know when you're in town.. we'll do a multi-day Nor-Cal event.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:52 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me in. Clear bra this week!
Old 02-01-2016, 06:40 AM
AlpineR
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

Love to join in boys, but alas, it's just too far! Enjoy!
Old 02-01-2016, 07:31 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Awesome write up CAlexio. You expressed it better than I could. My favorite part is the sound of the exhaust. My SA tells me that the only 911 which comes close to this exhaust sound is the GTS version. I enjoy seeing the looks on the faces of folks when I let off the exhaust when it's high in the rev range. Also when stopped at an intersection, it's cool seeing people swivel their heads to keep looking as they pass by.

One common thing is for people driving much faster than me on a freeway slowing to ride right next to me for a while, then finally resuming the faster speed. One guy the other day did this for a solid couple minutes and finally rolled down the passenger side window, and gave me a hand signal directing me to launch ahead of him so he could see the car perform. I downshifted a couple gears and humored him for a few seconds, quickly getting way down the road ahead of him. I then resumed my sensible speed, and he shortly thereafter passed me by, satisfied by the entertainment.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:18 AM
RWR
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for posting the picks and the summary of your impressions, CAlexio. Very nice.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:24 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Good review, CAlexio. Can't wait to experience all that myself; spring can't come soon enough!

I am probably second-guessing my decision on skipping LWBS! Still, the fixed-back might be an issue for me, as I prefer just a bit more lean back. I love a good sound; so, glad to hear the engine/exhaust note is kick ***!

Wish I were in Bay Area for the Spyder ride!
Old 02-01-2016, 12:34 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the review CAlexio. You're right about not being able to read enough from owners while you're waiting.

You have had/still have a 991 GT3 don't you? I'd be really interested to hear how you think they compare. I'm trading my 991 GT3 for a Spyder and I'm still not sure that's a good idea!!! (I have deposit on a future GT3 to help me rectify the situation if I don't like it!)
Old 02-01-2016, 12:42 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Default Bay Area Spyder Ride.

I made a post in the 981 section about this.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...l#post12977141

lets see what develops.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:09 PM
981spyder
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CALExio !!! it get better and smoother as you put miles on it!!!
Old 02-01-2016, 02:32 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Congratulations to all of you receiving your beautiful 981 Spyders at this
time, in particular my friend Ian:

and Alessandro:

Enjoy it in good health!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 02-01-2016, 04:42 PM
Mechanic
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

CAlexcio: You mentioned one thing in your post that I keyed on: The fact that you can't get your Spyder into your garage. I had (and probably still have) an opportunity to buy a Spyder, but I know I'll have the same issue. My driveway is flat as a board, but getting into it involves climbing a rounded three-inch curb. Even with a ramp of some sort to change the angle of approach, it's going to be an issue, I'm sure.

If you are so inclined (no pun intended), how about take a minute when you get a chance and discuss how you plan to deal with this. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:15 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechanic
CAlexcio: ........My driveway is flat as a board, but getting into it involves climbing a rounded three-inch curb. Even with a ramp of some sort to change the angle of approach, it's going to be an issue, I'm sure.

I am sure you have tried this approach; let me ask anyway. Have you tried taking it at an extreme angle? I live in an apartment building. The underground parking's ramp drops in steep. In the S2000, I take it at an aggressive angle, almost by 45 degrees or higher. Only twice I have taken the Spyder through the ramp, following the same aggressive entry/exit. Haven't scrapped it.

You could try patching the entry point, if possible. Some cities don't allow that though.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder Picture Thread