Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 final drive discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 10:10 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,661 Likes on 772 Posts

I can't properly compare a GT4 to my 997GT3's that all had more or less custom LSD that I liked. The new 991 GT3 (RS) has the electronic diff so I guess that's a whole other can of worms but from driving it hard I don't think the RS needs a LSD change / reprogram.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:12 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I can't properly compare a GT4 to my 997GT3's that all had more or less custom LSD that I liked. The new 991 GT3 (RS) has the electronic diff so I guess that's a whole other can of worms but from driving it hard I don't think the RS needs a LSD change / reprogram.
The PTV+ e-LSD in the 991 GT3s is an engineering marvel. I don't think you will need to replace it. Having seen them first hand and reviewing how they function we currently have no plans to make one or offer parts for them. It's just that good.

PTV LSDs are another story. The GT4 is a PTV car and as people start driving them hard and finding the limits they will decide they want an LSD, especially since it will have the same hot rear brakes problem that the 987s have suffered from.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:35 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched some reviews on the new GT350/R and apparently it also has received some complaints of excessively tall gearing. I suppose this is pretty typically for CAFE these days or perhaps the gearing is meant more for less shifting on the track. Apparently 1st is good for 50-something MPH and 2nd will get your license yanked.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:46 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 602 Likes on 269 Posts

I think that i am in the mintority on this one. I spent more time with the car over the weekend than I have since its arrival. I don't mind the gearing one bit. I find myself skipping gears or rolling around in the taller one because I don't like having to shift all the time. I have no problem driving the car around town in 3rd and skipping from 1st to 3rd to 5th. Shorter gears, despite giving me a more street friendly 3rd, would contribute to this nuisance for around town driving; the fact that i can't get out of 2nd gear on the street contributes to my having a license and dissuades me from running the thing all the way to the rev limit. For the 1st time ever we have a Cayman that can roll from a dead stop in 2nd or 3rd and doesn't require a downshift out of 6th gear on the highway at 75mph.

I think that if the car had more torque, the gearing wouldn't be as big of a concern. I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer and maybe I've been in these cars too long but I don't find gearing as the car's largest need. On the race track where you don't go 191 mph i could see the shorter 3-4-5-6 being awesome, but for around town cruising, i think it's perfectly adequate. My last post opened up my eyes though to how many street driving folks want shorter gearing, so i am not refuting this. I just have gotten a lot of emails from folks wanting feedback and I am going to put myself in the camp that isn't as disappointed with the offered gearing.

John

P.S. The revised OBD port is actually no better now that i realize it's near impossible to use the clutch while you're logging data!
Old 11-16-2015, 12:55 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
The PTV+ e-LSD in the 991 GT3s is an engineering marvel. I don't think you will need to replace it. Having seen them first hand and reviewing how they function we currently have no plans to make one or offer parts for them. It's just that good.

PTV LSDs are another story. The GT4 is a PTV car and as people start driving them hard and finding the limits they will decide they want an LSD, especially since it will have the same hot rear brakes problem that the 987s have suffered from.
Thanks Matt, it's adjustable if a go to the track with John?

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I think that i am in the mintority on this one. I spent more time with the car over the weekend than I have since its arrival. I don't mind the gearing one bit. I find myself skipping gears or rolling around in the taller one because I don't like having to shift all the time. I have no problem driving the car around town in 3rd and skipping from 1st to 3rd to 5th. Shorter gears, despite giving me a more street friendly 3rd, would contribute to this nuisance for around town driving; the fact that i can't get out of 2nd gear on the street contributes to my having a license and dissuades me from running the thing all the way to the rev limit. For the 1st time ever we have a Cayman that can roll from a dead stop in 2nd or 3rd and doesn't require a downshift out of 6th gear on the highway at 75mph.

I think that when I give you more torque, the gearing wouldn't be as big of a concern. I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer and maybe I've been in these cars too long but I don't find gearing as the car's largest need. On the race track where you don't go 191 mph i could see the shorter 3-4-5-6 being awesome, but for around town cruising, i think it's perfectly adequate. My last post opened up my eyes though to how many street driving folks want shorter gearing, so i am not refuting this. I just have gotten a lot of emails from folks wanting feedback and I am going to put myself in the camp that isn't as disappointed with the offered gearing.

John

P.S. The revised OBD port is actually no better now that i realize it's near impossible to use the clutch while you're logging data!
Fixed it.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:52 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Hello Peter,

Yes, all our LSDs are quite tunable, offering two set ramp options on each set of pressure rings, as well as the ability to adjust preload and stack height to suit. Given that John and BGB have been racing on them since pretty much the beginning, they can absolutely retune it to suit. Though to be honest, most of the teams currently running IMSA with our LSDS don't change things from what I deliver. We've got set up on them pretty much dialed at this point where you don't need to change anything once installed.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:55 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Nice, thanks Matt, should work fine than.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:01 PM
Spyder Man
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IMOA
OK, I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about 'sunday drive' roads, not suburban streets. My point was that on those sunday drive roads where on other cars you were using 3rd for a lot of corners that on the GT4 you're using 2nd so you actually end up changing gears more often, this has certainly been my experience on the roads I emntioned.

However on the sorts of suburban streets you're talking about to be honest I'm not real interested in redlining at all to be honest, I typically bumble about in th 2-3000rpm range. And to be honest, there isn't a car you can redline in 2nd in those 50/60/80kmh roads and even short geared cars like the toyobaru I mentioned earlier redline in 2nd at 100kmh.

I am wondering though, before saying that a GT4 was no fun on the street, have you actually driven one?

Yeah, whatever I guess. I drive my GT4 on the street an enjoy it immensely, thats why I was so surprised that Spyder Man said you couldn't have any fun in a GT4 on the street. I do think that it's irresponsible to push the limits of a GT4 on public roads though as that would be just way too fast. However that's nothing to do with gearing, thats due to the huge grip it has. If you do want to push the limits of a car in a public setting something like an MX5 or a toyobaru 86 would be a more responsible choice imo. That said, I do think that if you really are pushing the limits you should be off the street and on a track. This has nothing to do with dick measuring, it's about enjoying our hobby in a safe environment.

And finally, in regards to 'drive like IMOA', all I've said is that with the gearing corners that with the GT4's gearing 1st and 2nd gear become usable in far more circumstances than with shorter geared cars.
You make a lot of assumptions and accusations out of the blue.

Have a look at the torque curve...most of the time on the street GT4 is cruising at its lowest a torque level which also dip downwards from 2k-3k. This is not fun on the street.

Frankly nobody cares about what you think about how to drive the car or your self perception about its gearing because who are you?

This guy doesn't like the gearing

This guy has a problem with the gearing

These guys said something about the gearing
http://www.caranddriver.com/porsche/cayman-gt4

These guys noticed long gearings even on a fast circuit
http://www.evomagazine.com.au/review...he-cayman-gt4/

These guys believed the gearing can be improved
http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/p...dr/first-drive
Old 11-16-2015, 08:13 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyder Man
You make a lot of assumptions and accusations out of the blue.

Have a look at the torque curve...most of the time on the street GT4 is cruising at its lowest a torque level which also dip downwards from 2k-3k. This is not fun on the street.

Frankly nobody cares about what you think about how to drive the car or your self perception about its gearing because who are you?

This guy doesn't like the gearing
' 2015 Porsche Cayman GT4 ' Test Drive & Review - TheGetawayer - YouTube

This guy has a problem with the gearing
Chris Harris on Cars - Porsche Cayman GT4 full test - YouTube

These guys said something about the gearing
http://www.caranddriver.com/porsche/cayman-gt4

These guys noticed long gearings even on a fast circuit
http://www.evomagazine.com.au/review...he-cayman-gt4/

These guys believed the gearing can be improved
http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/p...dr/first-drive
Sorry, I don't have the time to figure out who the **** spyder man is, but between BGB spydy and general opinion we seem to need either gearing or Torq.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:41 PM
hadokenny
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Sorry, I don't have the time to figure out who the **** spyder man is, but between BGB spydy and general opinion we seem to need either gearing or Torq.
Torque issue is being addressed by BGB and fabspeed it seems with their bolt ons and software

Now if we can just get some gearing
Old 11-16-2015, 08:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

I understand spending time on Rennlist means a lot of bench racing,but the discussion about gearing is just a tiny bit blown out of proportion.
I can't give a definitive answer on gearing,having had 700 miles with the car,because I haven't revved it past 4200 RPM just yet,but it doesn't seem to be a big issue for now.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:16 PM
IMOA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder Man
I'm Greg, a guy who owns a GT4 and really enjoys driving it on the street. As I've said multiple times on this thread, I think the spacing of gears 3-4-5 is too wide however I find your assertion that the gearing makes a GT4 no fun on the street to be quite absurd. And I've asked you twice whether you have actually driven a GT4 and where you had found it no fun. And you've dodged the question twice. Third time lucky so we can have a constructive conversation about real experiences rather than posting 6 month old videos and bench racing?
Old 11-16-2015, 09:40 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by hadokenny
Torque issue is being addressed by BGB and fabspeed it seems with their bolt ons and software

Now if we can just get some gearing
I think we have the gearing available - GT has developed and offered gearing packages for 3-6 - on the shelf ready to go. They also offered to do a main shaft for a new 1-2 gear package - they just need 10 people to put up a $2,500 deposit and with that commitment they would develop the 1-2 main shaft. They posted pricing expectations - so it is all out there for us on the gearing front.

Now it is time to put on our big boy pants and step up to the plate and get to it on all fronts!

The GT4 with GT Gears, BGB power enhancements and your favorite exhaust will be one outstanding package on the street or track. We are lucky to have multiple providers developing great stuff for us to choose from.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Spyder Man
Instructor

Originally Posted by IMOA
I'm Greg, a guy who owns a GT4 and really enjoys driving it on the street. As I've said multiple times on this thread, I think the spacing of gears 3-4-5 is too wide however I find your assertion that the gearing makes a GT4 no fun on the street to be quite absurd. And I've asked you twice whether you have actually driven a GT4 and where you had found it no fun. And you've dodged the question twice. Third time lucky so we can have a constructive conversation about real experiences rather than posting 6 month old videos and bench racing?
I don't need to tell you whether I have driven it or NOT. Yes I have driven it and I find it no fun, would you believe? What's next, you want prove?

The only issue here is that you take stance against people who has a different view than you and try to lecture people how to drive and how to enjoy the car.

And Greg...I still don't know who you are!
Old 11-16-2015, 10:02 PM
Spyder Man
Instructor

Originally Posted by supercup
I think we have the gearing available - GT has developed and offered gearing packages for 3-6 - on the shelf ready to go. They also offered to do a main shaft for a new 1-2 gear package - they just need 10 people to put up a $2,500 deposit and with that commitment they would develop the 1-2 main shaft. They posted pricing expectations - so it is all out there for us on the gearing front.

Now it is time to put on our big boy pants and step up to the plate and get to it on all fronts!

The GT4 with GT Gears, BGB power enhancements and your favorite exhaust will be one outstanding package on the street or track. We are lucky to have multiple providers developing great stuff for us to choose from.
Good to hear

Quick Reply: GT4 final drive discussion