it's not much noisier

short third gear feels like turbo. it just jumps

oem gear I'm 4th
at t2. I drove LS with both gear sets
Old 07-27-2016, 10:52 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,477 Likes on 918 Posts

Any news on this final drive mod? Maybe the manufacturer?
Old 07-27-2016, 11:41 AM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
With 4.5 Final Drive:
1st - 42mph
2nd - 71mph
3rd - 98mph
4th - 122mph
5th - 145mph
6th - 171mph
I like the looks of that!

I'm even more convinced than ever that the car deserves shorter gearing. The shifting action and sound is just so sweet I wish I had an excuse to do it more often and with more thrust (off track).
Old 07-27-2016, 02:58 PM
electronspeeder
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Accel Junky
I like the looks of that!

I'm even more convinced than ever that the car deserves shorter gearing. The shifting action and sound is just so sweet I wish I had an excuse to do it more often and with more thrust (off track).

This. Anybody find out who the manufacturer is yet?
Old 07-28-2016, 01:55 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
What that doesn't address is rpm drops. Everyone is fixating on mph in gear and shifting more often, because that is seen as driving pleasure. But if you talk about max acceleration changing the individual ratios will get you up to speed faster. It just doesn't currently solve the 2nd gear top speed complaint.
Sorry, I should have said the speed in gears looked similar. I changed out the gears not the R&P.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:46 AM
Gilou Panizzi
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Guys, back from holidays I discover this thread. Although I'm still in my break in period (1200 km) and flirting with 6000 rpm, I'm starting to understand what all of you mean by long gearing. Beside mine is only dedicated to mountain road use. sometimes I feel like I'll never be able to go over 3rd gear in some sections if I must go full throttle at 7800 rpm .

so I think this might be a good reflexion for my after warranty period

I d'ont really care about max high speed, because I'll never go over 250 km/h in huge illegal conditions ehehe. On the opposite side, I feel totally concerned by acceleration improvement and driving pleasure.

Just for the story, I was lucky to pay myself a coaching session (I don't know the correct translation) on a circuit in France. This heppened on an afternoon in a ... GT4 CLUBSPORT (sorry I had the choice between a 991 GT3 and a 981 cayman S).

Acceleration with PDK ratios is WAY FASTER. This was on a small circuit and I could barely go over 6800 RPM with my beginner level . Anyway I felt like I was driving a 50+ HP car.

I really want to discover my car as slow as possible to enjoy every moments, but I know myself... If I'm not interesting in adding some power, gearing is a most on twisty roads .

Thanks to all those who share their experiences!
Old 07-28-2016, 12:56 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilou Panizzi
...I'm starting to understand what all of you mean by long gearing....

I d'ont really care about max high speed, because I'll never go over 250 km/h... On the opposite side, I feel totally concerned by acceleration improvement and driving pleasure.

...in a GT4 CLUBSPORT... Acceleration with PDK ratios is WAY FASTER... Anyway I felt like I was driving a 50+ HP car.
+1

Said it before, and will say it again: I think the perfect setup would be the base Cayman PDK's 1st through 5th and then 7th (skipping the U.S.-useless PDK 6th gear). Suspect the GT4 would post noticeable gains in pleasure and actual pace—in most situations, anyway.

Whether that can be achieved in the GT4 gearbox—and at what price point—are two entirely different matters. Six new gears? New mainshaft(s)? Or new R&P with a custom super tall sixth (if that will even fit inside the case)? Add a better diff and one could have $10-15k in the gearbox alone, I suspect. How many have that appetite? Suspect such a car with TB, exhaust, and remap would be monster quick and a lot of fun. However, the car is a system and I hear the GT4's driveshafts to the wheels may be at or approaching their upper limit for longevity (probably when torture tested) with stock power and mapping—so it will be interesting to see how modded GT4s live.

I suspect BGB can shed more light on the driveshafts than just about anyone, as it has been building big-power Caymans for a while now.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:32 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 602 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
+1 Said it before, and will say it again: I think the perfect setup would be the base Cayman PDK's 1st through 5th and then 7th (skipping the U.S.-useless PDK 6th gear). Suspect the GT4 would post noticeable gains in pleasure and actual pace—in most situations, anyway. Whether that can be achieved in the GT4 gearbox—and at what price point—are two entirely different matters. Six new gears? New mainshaft(s)? Or new R&P with a custom super tall sixth (if that will even fit inside the case)? Add a better diff and one could have $10-15k in the gearbox alone, I suspect. How many have that appetite? Suspect such a car with TB, exhaust, and remap would be monster quick and a lot of fun. However, the car is a system and I hear the GT4's driveshafts to the wheels may be at or approaching their upper limit for longevity (probably when torture tested) with stock power and mapping—so it will be interesting to see how modded GT4s live. I suspect BGB can shed more light on the driveshafts than just about anyone, as it has been building big-power Caymans for a while now.
The driveshafts aren't a concern unless you stretch your car 3" wider by adding ginormous hub centric spacers and increasing camber and then lower it beyond 3". We spent :28 min in the garage at the 24 hour changing a RR driveshaft and it hurt us as it was the only mechanical of the entire race. Actually the clutch lasted 22 hours and when the aluminum throw out bearing went it took out the clutch disc. The beefy synchros withstood 2 hours of clutchless shifting without issue. All of the widening and lowering took the plunge from the axles which generated too much heat in the CVs. I had my machinist make a 10mm donut spacer for me for the driveshaft flange and axle life went from 12 hours to 6 races plus. We even added breather straws to the CVs in early testing to release heat and that bought us 4 times the longevity. Before this the axles literally had a life of :90. The parts from Porsche via GKN are solid pieces. They failed because i stretched the track too far in the rear and slammed the car. A PDK trans sits a little higher and yields better "angle of the dangle!"
Old 08-01-2016, 06:47 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 133 Likes on 72 Posts

Response from Ehresmann about their final drive -

Hi

by group buy we could offer the following prices for the ring and pinion option:

3 Set‘s = 3000 € / Set
5 Set‘s = 2500 € / Set
10 Set‘s = 2000 € / Set

If we receive the gearbox the disassembling / assembling cost are 2000 € for each gearbox (12 hours of work)

Stock final drive ratio 9:35 (I 3,88)
Modified final drive ratio 8:36 (I 4,75)

All prices without 19% VAT and shipping.

With kind regards
Jens Ehresmann
Old 08-01-2016, 06:54 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,050 Likes on 2,850 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Not too bad if you get 10 people. 22.4% lower gearing is a huge change. I wonder how useless 1st will feel (will be a quick shift into 2nd) and how annoying 6th will feel on the highway?

2nd through 5th will feel great on the track and in the mountains though (and I guess someone could add a taller 6th gear)...

If I was considering this mod, I might look for a low-mileage 981 gearbox at a junk yard to install a Guard LSD and this R&P (and maybe a bigger cooler) and leave the stock gearbox in the basement for replacement into the car at a later time (for sale or reverting to street car).
Old 08-01-2016, 07:23 PM
electronspeeder
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice. I bet we could get more interest than that. Think we could get better group buy prices for bigger groups?

Also need to figure out the gear installing process.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:36 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,050 Likes on 2,850 Posts

Originally Posted by electronspeeder
Nice. I bet we could get more interest than that. Think we could get better group buy prices for bigger groups?

Also need to figure out the gear installing process.
I don't think there is any mystery about the install, but you do want a good shop doing this. This is not something you take to Jiffy Lube

But any good Porsche race shop should be able to help (around Denver, I think Cervelli would be a great choice).
Old 08-01-2016, 11:23 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn... I could justify 2000 euro plus shipping. Wonder if they could just sell the parts for a more local shop install...
Old 08-01-2016, 11:25 PM
Gilou Panizzi
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Accel Junky
Damn... I could justify 2000 euro plus shipping. Wonder if they could just sell the parts for a more local shop install...
At this price I'd really be interested ! But shipping costs to home are frightening and I can't trust any shop to well install it on my baby
Old 08-02-2016, 11:20 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
But any good Porsche race shop should be able to help (around Denver, I think Cervelli would be a great choice).
While Chris isn't just any good Porsche race shop, I disagree with this statement. This is not an easy gearbox to work on and I would t want mine to be the first one someone did. Both Bill Rader and Jerry Woods had to take their time to figure it out and fabricate their own special tools.

I reiterate for clarity, I would trust Chris to do this. I wouldn't trust the average race shop you've been using to look after your GT3 or spec Boxster prior to owning this car. That will likely end in tears.

Quick Reply: GT4 final drive discussion