Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 final drive discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016 | 03:55 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Why stop at the final drive ratio when you could do gears too and have the ultimate short ratio transmission? That should silence everyone's gearing concerns! I will ping the guys in Germany to see how it affects the auto blipper.
Because aftermarket gears are really noisy? Not a good choice for a car that is still driven on the street
Old 07-21-2016 | 04:14 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
Because aftermarket gears are really noisy? Not a good choice for a car that is still driven on the street
Is that true? I mean I know that racecars have noisy gearboxes, but I always figured that was due more to lack of sound deadening and maybe straight-cut gears that you definitely wouldn't want in a street car than something about the design of aftermarket helical-cut gears. Would be interested to hear GTGears' input on this and if it's true what's responsible for the difference in NVH and whether it's economical for him to offer gears in the desired ratios that maintain OEM-like NVH.
Old 07-22-2016 | 12:11 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by d00d
I hate when companies use FB as their site.
My GT4 may be wintering in FL with BGB then.
Here's what the change would be, thanks to P9/electronspeeder;
Stock Final Drive Gearing:
1st - 48mph
2nd - 82mph
3rd - 113mph
4th - 141mph
5th - 168mph
6th - 197mph
With 4.5 Final Drive:
1st - 42mph
2nd - 71mph
3rd - 98mph
4th - 122mph
5th - 145mph
6th - 171mph

third gear needs to go to 102 at least - to retain good 0-100 time
Old 07-22-2016 | 12:30 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by supercup
It would be much faster, even with another shift...
Old 07-22-2016 | 12:53 AM
electronspeeder
Instructor

Nah. Don't care about paper times, just want a more enjoyable experience.
Old 07-22-2016 | 04:21 AM
trebien
Racer

Only if you're magazine racing.
Old 07-22-2016 | 11:34 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Stock Final Drive Gearing:
1st - 48mph
2nd - 82mph
3rd - 113mph
4th - 141mph
5th - 168mph
6th - 197mph
With 4.5 Final Drive:
1st - 42mph
2nd - 71mph
3rd - 98mph
4th - 122mph
5th - 145mph
6th - 171mph
The 4.5 numbers look very close t what I ran in one of my 993s. That car was a lot of fun.
Old 07-22-2016 | 12:39 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jphughan
Is that true? I mean I know that racecars have noisy gearboxes, but I always figured that was due more to lack of sound deadening and maybe straight-cut gears that you definitely wouldn't want in a street car than something about the design of aftermarket helical-cut gears. Would be interested to hear GTGears' input on this and if it's true what's responsible for the difference in NVH and whether it's economical for him to offer gears in the desired ratios that maintain OEM-like NVH.
No, it's not wholly true. They make more noise than stock but they not "really noisy". We can make quiet gears. We will do it special order only. There aren't enough people who want them to warrant a full production run and we would be making them less durable and weaker if we made them oem quiet.

Ping Mooty. He has installed our gears in his GT4. Maybe he can chime in about how much noisier than stock they are.
Old 07-22-2016 | 12:49 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

I've used Guard gears in 3 cars. They make some noise but it's not annoying. If you leave the factory gear in 6th you'd be fine on the highway.
Old 07-22-2016 | 01:33 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I've used Guard gears in 3 cars. They make some noise but it's not annoying. If you leave the factory gear in 6th you'd be fine on the highway.
And two of the Cayman stacks we made were specifically designed that was. Way shorter then stock 3-4-5 with a top speed to suit DE and 6th still in place. We didn't completely ignore the DE crowd.
Old 07-22-2016 | 01:36 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alan C.
The 4.5 numbers look very close t what I ran in one of my 993s. That car was a lot of fun.
What that doesn't address is rpm drops. Everyone is fixating on mph in gear and shifting more often, because that is seen as driving pleasure. But if you talk about max acceleration changing the individual ratios will get you up to speed faster. It just doesn't currently solve the 2nd gear top speed complaint.
Old 07-22-2016 | 02:34 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GTgears
What that doesn't address is rpm drops. Everyone is fixating on mph in gear and shifting more often, because that is seen as driving pleasure. But if you talk about max acceleration changing the individual ratios will get you up to speed faster. It just doesn't currently solve the 2nd gear top speed complaint.
Good point.

Last edited by Beantown Kman; 07-22-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-22-2016 | 03:31 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

What that doesn't address is rpm drops. if you talk about max acceleration changing the individual ratios will get you up to speed faster.
This is what its all about - rev matching from gear to gear to drop you into the meat of the power band with each shift to generate maximum acceleration. Hence why the GT Gears offering for 3,4 & 5, while retaining 6 (for freeway driving) can offer a great increase in acceleration! This offers a great option at a reasonable cost $5,000 +/-.

For all those totally focused on 1st and 2nd, remember last year when all the gear talk started GT offered to develop an updated 1-2 gear stack - they just needed 10 people to deposit $2,500 to pay for the development and they would receive the first 10 stacks. If there were 9 other folks, then maybe GT would be being willing to do this now. At that point you would be looking to change 1-5 to optimize the car's performance and be spending $8,000 - $10,000 to develop an optimal gear box.

So it is not for the faint of heart and you can't be worried about warranty, you have to be able to pay for it and really want it! Once you get to this level you are now looking at developing your car to GT4RS standards.

To develop a GT4 RS, 6 speed will not be cheap, but would be really fun if fully developed. Here is an idea at what you are looking at:

BGB - Stage II - $29,800 (parts & Labor) - exhaust, flywheel, X51 package, 82mm throttle body, tune and guards LSD.

GT Transmission - $5,000 - $7,000 - depending on gears (what is available today)

Suspension & Set up - $4,000 ($2,850 tarett bits & swift springs - $1,150 labor)

Harness Bar - $3,500 installed (you pick the one for you)

You can throw in wheels, brake upgrades (SS lines, pads etc..) and before you know it you have spent $50k. So you are into your GT4 RS for $150k - at that point would you look around and say, I should have bought a GT3? Or will you be happy with an outstanding handling GT4 with added power and sleeper capabilities as you bump up against others?

Been down this road a few times before and the project is always super fun, but the downside is that like all highly modified cars it is a money pit when you decide to move it!

Sometimes it is best to just go out and drive what you have and enjoy it, then move on to the next great thing and enjoy that. But if you love a project, then there a plenty of great shops and vendors out there to help you build your dream machine.
Old 07-22-2016 | 04:04 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

No, it's not wholly true. They make more noise than stock but they not "really noisy". We can make quiet gears. We will do it special order only. There aren't enough people who want them to warrant a full production run and we would be making them less durable and weaker if we made them oem quiet.

Ping Mooty. He has installed our gears in his GT4. Maybe he can chime in about how much noisier than stock they are.
Hi Matt:

I watched Mooty shifting well past the bridge at Laguna monday in the final session. Was he hitting 5th?

2nd is fine there but a shorter 3rd would be nice IMHO.

Rich
Old 07-22-2016 | 05:03 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RDCR
Hi Matt:

I watched Mooty shifting well past the bridge at Laguna monday in the final session. Was he hitting 5th?

2nd is fine there but a shorter 3rd would be nice IMHO.

Rich
Mooty took them back out. He said some locals claimed he was cheating in the DE Cup. If it was last Monday they aren't in there. He took them out about 2 weeks ago.

To Kman's question he edited it out, I haven't answered it yet because such explanations require pictures. I'm usually here on my phone on lunch or other personal time and want to answer a technical question about gear design from my desk.

Quick Reply: GT4 final drive discussion