Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Oil Filter and Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 05:09 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MechE
Gmaki, you are at least one quart low. My car was level when I drained the oil, and it took exactly 8 quarts.

As far as checking the oil level, you need to get the car to FULL operating temperature, park, shut it off, wait one minute, and then check the level.

If the rear hatch was opened with a cold engine, the system will not report an oil level until the engine has reached full operating temperature. See page 165 of the manual.
What a pain. and yeah i figured I'd be a bout a quart low but I naively thought I could start checking the level there and just add until I got the right point.

Thanks for the input. I'll add another quart and then check it as you suggest. Kind of a PITA.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:29 PM
MechE
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, I miss having a dipstick. That said, your method works when the engine is warm. Once I had my car to full operating temperature, I was able to immediately see the addition of 0.2 quarts.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:29 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by gmaki
What a pain. and yeah i figured I'd be a bout a quart low but I naively thought I could start checking the level there and just add until I got the right point.

Thanks for the input. I'll add another quart and then check it as you suggest. Kind of a PITA.
I suggest you do not try to add 8 quarts at first fill. In many cases this will result in an over-fill situation as there will likely be some undrained oil remaining in the engine. Overfill is all bars full, and a PITA to remedy. Instead, I recommend you fill 6 quarts to start if you plan to have 2 empty bars (recommended track level), but 7 will usually get me up to full - which is 1 empty bar. Again, this is a variable and depends how much oil you get out (how long you let it drain).

The manual states an empty engine holds 7.5 Liters, which is 7.925 quarts. I feel 8 quarts is too many to blind fill.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:45 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
I suggest you do not try to add 8 quarts at first fill. In many cases this will result in an over-fill situation as there will likely be some undrained oil remaining in the engine. Overfill is all bars full, and a PITA to remedy. Instead, I recommend you fill 6 quarts to start if you plan to have 2 empty bars (recommended track level), but 7 will usually get me up to full - which is 1 empty bar. Again, this is a variable and depends how much oil you get out (how long you let it drain).

The manual states an empty engine holds 7.5 Liters, which is 7.925 quarts. I feel 8 quarts is too many to blind fill.
It holds 10.1L total. How much comes out if a function of how long you wait and how warm the oil is. When I changed mine, the oil was very warm, and after 20min about 8.5qts came out. Starting with 7qts and then warming it up to see how much you need to get it to the right level seems like the plan.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:48 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

I would like to suggest to all Rennlisters that you take samples at each oil change. It's like getting blood work for your car. There is a company called Blackstone who will send you the kits for free - http://blackstone-labs.com. They charge only $28 to give you a full report on the condition on your engine and alarm you to any immediate or building problems. I have ZERO affiliation with them for the record, but they provide great service at low cost. As the original owner of a GT4, I feel it is my responsibility to keep good records and oil sample logs. Here is a picture of an oil sample report. In 20 years you or perhaps the 5th owner will be glad you did!

Old 12-19-2015, 09:07 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
It holds 10.1L total. How much comes out if a function of how long you wait and how warm the oil is. When I changed mine, the oil was very warm, and after 20min about 8.5qts came out. Starting with 7qts and then warming it up to see how much you need to get it to the right level seems like the plan.
Hello Shake and Bake 'em,
The manual says "approx" fill capacity at oil change is 7.5 liters, which is 7.95 quarts. You might be able to get a full 8 in, but anything over that ain't happening.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:54 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Agree, that is exactly why I added 7 only. I just didn't realize I was going to have to drive it around with 7 to find out where I stood. At least I can see oil pressure so that I know I "enough" oil in there.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:22 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

OK I finally got a reading. It has probably been said already but how much does each bar equate to? in other words, how much do I need to add?

Old 12-20-2015, 02:34 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 508 Likes on 238 Posts

OK I finally got a reading. It has probably been said already but how much does each bar equate to? in other words, how much do I need to add?
The manual states 1.8 quarts (1.7L) from the min to the max mark. Since there are 4 segment between these marks, the amount for each bar should be 0.45 quarts.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:12 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

We measured how much oil drained when my car was done. Front raised slightly higher than rear, a bit more than 8 quarts came out after about 30 min. So we added 7 quarts initially and then added more slowly to reach 1 bar below max.

Matt,
It sounds like only 7 quarts are coming out of your car when you change. Probably not a big deal, but wonder why. Variance between cars? Oil not warm enough? Raising only the rear of the car?
Old 12-20-2015, 03:15 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

Agree, that is exactly why I added 7 only. I just didn't realize I was going to have to drive it around with 7 to find out where I stood. At least I can see oil pressure so that I know I "enough" oil in there.
Somehow I did not have to drive the car to get an oil reading after changing. It did have to idle for more than a few minutes, but it didn't take very long.

Looks like more than 7 quarts came out of your car as well. Now you now 7 quarts is a good place to start.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:28 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Hello Shake and Bake 'em,
The manual says "approx" fill capacity at oil change is 7.5 liters, which is 7.95 quarts. You might be able to get a full 8 in, but anything over that ain't happening.

I was very surprised, but that's what I put in the car with my own two hands. The fill level with 8.5qts was one block below full. 7.5qts was at the minimum level. All I can think is that the oil was hot when I dropped it. It also came uncomfortably close to overflowing my oil catch can which is an 10qt unit.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:16 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

The tech who did my PDI advised allowing the oil to drain for at least 60 minutes.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:48 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

So the job is finally fully complete. I dumped all the oil from the car back into the quart bottles that I emptied to fill it. it came out to just about 8 quarts in, and 8 quarts out. If I was picky I might call it 7.9 but I am in no position to claim I measured it that accurately.

I did warm up the car until oil temp was 110 degrees fh, before draining it. Didn't want to go any warmer because I didn't want anything hotter than that hitting my hand, as I knew it would.

Also as I said I sort of twisted the car to get more oil out. all in all I probably did allow it to drain for more than an hour. It was down to periodic drops when I put the plug back in.

Thank you everyone for you help. I was definitely perplexed by my inability to get an oil level reading.

In celebration I took the car to Malibu Cars and Coffee this morning with my son, and afterwords we took a spirited drive up the snake to the overlook. The road was still wet in places and the back end stepped out a bit on me on some exits, but the car recovered gracefully (despite the my sons white face) lol. I say the car cause I think it did more than I did to handle the lack of traction when I gave it a touch too much throttle coming out of a few tight corners.

Now that she has been exercised she is back on her casters and tucked away in the garage, probably for the remainder of the holidays.

I just bought my son a 1965 Mustang A code with a 4 speed and I need to concentrate on making it a bit more road worthy and update some safety features before I let him drive it. So my baby is going to take a bit of a backseat for about a month.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:36 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

So the job is finally fully complete. I dumped all the oil from the car back into the quart bottles that I emptied to fill it. it came out to just about 8 quarts in, and 8 quarts out. If I was picky I might call it 7.9 but I am in no position to claim I measured it that accurately.

I did warm up the car until oil temp was 110 degrees fh, before draining it. Didn't want to go any warmer because I didn't want anything hotter than that hitting my hand, as I knew it would.

Also as I said I sort of twisted the car to get more oil out. all in all I probably did allow it to drain for more than an hour. It was down to periodic drops when I put the plug back in.

Thank you everyone for you help. I was definitely perplexed by my inability to get an oil level reading.

In celebration I took the car to Malibu Cars and Coffee this morning with my son, and afterwords we took a spirited drive up the snake to the overlook. The road was still wet in places and the back end stepped out a bit on me on some exits, but the car recovered gracefully (despite the my sons white face) lol. I say the car cause I think it did more than I did to handle the lack of traction when I gave it a touch too much throttle coming out of a few tight corners.

Now that she has been exercised she is back on her casters and tucked away in the garage, probably for the remainder of the holidays.

I just bought my son a 1965 Mustang A code with a 4 speed and I need to concentrate on making it a bit more road worthy and update some safety features before I let him drive it. So my baby is going to take a bit of a backseat for about a month.
Great! Glad you didn't get any warm oil in your armpit.

Quick Reply: GT4 Oil Filter and Wrench