Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Oil Filter and Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 05:49 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,138 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by xxrockmanxneoxx
thats good to know. Do you happen to have the full part number that has all of it preinstalled?
The assembly #9A110702400 carl
Old 09-22-2015, 05:49 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 508 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by xxrockmanxneoxx
thats good to know. Do you happen to have the full part number that has all of it preinstalled?
I will find out the part number when I pick it up and then post it here. It might not be for a few days though. EDIT: I see Carl just posted a P/N but I will double confirm when I get it anyway.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:06 PM
xxrockmanxneoxx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sonorous
I will find out the part number when I pick it up and then post it here. It might not be for a few days though. EDIT: I see Carl just posted a P/N but I will double confirm when I get it anyway.
no problem appreciate it guys.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:14 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Not sure why anyone would not go with the factory filter - it's false economy, you do not want to give Porsche any excuses not to honor a factory warranty. The filters are not that expensive anyways.

If you can get a filter/can/O ring cheaper than a filter/O ring, why not, that makes perfect sense.

How are you guys handling the warranty and the DIY oil changes - just keeping records, or interspacing DIY and dealer oil changes?

Cheers

Mike
Old 09-23-2015, 08:28 AM
Ochocoronas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a search but did not come up with anything... In preparation for a post break-in oil change I want to buy a filter element and a tool (wrench) to remove the filter housing. What are the correct correct details or P/N for the filter and tool for a GT4?

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Has anyone verified that Porsche does or does not run a special blend of oil from the factory to help the engine break in better? If they do run a special blend changing it early would be counter productive.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:23 AM
4carl
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ochocoronas
Has anyone verified that Porsche does or does not run a special blend of oil from the factory to help the engine break in better? If they do run a special blend changing it early would be counter productive.
i don't think so because the first recommended change is 6-10k miles.
They may drain the oil after they do the run in on the engine dyno? Thought i saw something but cant remember.

Maybe it will come back to me today as i sit in bumper to bumper traffic for 2 1/2 hrs each way for a meeting in LA..carl
Old 09-23-2015, 11:52 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I suspect during that dyno run that they execute runs very well filtered oil or even new oil through the engine, then empty the engine when they are done - or I hope they do. Its possible the sump is full when the engine is installed in the car.

The topic of break-in oil with Porsche has been around for years, and I have never seen an conclusion on the topic. Like everyone else, I would do an early oil change, and having rebuilt 911 motor's, that first and second oil changes as usually pretty dark and sometimes contain very small metal flakes - but I did not have the ability to run the engine in on a dyno either.

I checked with Sunset, here is the reply below:

"9a110702400 $27.60 (canister,filter oring)
Our shop uses these when they change oil on cayman/and some boxster
I hear you drill hole in canister and let drain
Makes allot less mess than unscrewing canister and let oil go everywhere"

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-23-2015, 05:04 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts
Default GT4 Oil Filter and Wrench

Originally Posted by Mike J
I suspect during that dyno run that they execute runs very well filtered oil or even new oil through the engine, then empty the engine when they are done - or I hope they do. Its possible the sump is full when the engine is installed in the car.

The topic of break-in oil with Porsche has been around for years, and I have never seen an conclusion on the topic. Like everyone else, I would do an early oil change, and having rebuilt 911 motor's, that first and second oil changes as usually pretty dark and sometimes contain very small metal flakes - but I did not have the ability to run the engine in on a dyno either.

Cheers,

Mike
Well **** I just paid $48 for ring, crush washer, and filter. That was with PCA discount too, was 72 before that. Looks like I am ordering mine ahead of time in the future.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:28 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Well **** I just paid $48 for ring, crush washer, and filter. That was with PCA discount too, was 72 before that. Looks like I am ordering mine ahead of time in the future.
Good to confirm their prices are aggressive - I only buy from Sunset and Suncoast (rarely). If you think the US prices are bad, try Canadian prices, even after the dropped Canadian dollar, we are talking of 1/2 price or less on lots of items. Damn dealers gouge like maniacs.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-24-2015, 12:10 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the filter kit from Suncoast for a Cayman S/GTS. Same part (9A110722400). Also, for the wrench I bought the Lisle 61570 76mm with 14 flutes from Amazon. Everything worked perfectly.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:08 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

So how much oil did you add to the GT4 when you changed your oil? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:30 PM
4carl
Race Car

Originally Posted by Kelsey
So how much oil did you add to the GT4 when you changed your oil? Thanks in advance.
It took about 8.2qt one bar below max. Carl
Old 09-25-2015, 03:13 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kelsey
From this thread the oil capacities according to PCNA are:

Engine oil filling capacities for the Porsche GT4:
Engine oil change quantity (without oil filter): Filling capacity: 7.25 Liter
Engine oil change quantity (with oil filter): Filling capacity: 7.5 Liter
With a filter change this would be 7.9 quarts. I looks like carl put a little more than that with no issues reported.

Last edited by sonorous; 09-25-2015 at 03:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-25-2015, 03:24 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J

Cheers,

Mike
This is really good info, thanks for posting. I never would have thought to drill a hole but that is a great idea. I have gotten used to the BMW top side filter element that is so much cleaner to change.

Also, thanks for pointing out Sunset. I had not been to their site yet and I like it. I also like the price! It is 27% off the discounted price my dealer gave me. The shipping is kind of high though so I might just try to squeeze my dealer a bit more first. Thanks Mike!
Old 09-25-2015, 03:57 PM
4carl
Race Car

From this thread the oil capacities according to PCNA are:

With a filter change this would be 7.9 quarts. I looks like carl put a little more than that with no issues reported.
I just went by the gauge. My other two 981CS's took 8.5qt. carl

Quick Reply: GT4 Oil Filter and Wrench