Sponsored by: APR

Official word on oil capacity discrepancy

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 02:21 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Official word on oil capacity discrepancy

I emailed PCNA about the discrepancy in quoted engine oil capacity between different GT4 documentation (manual says 7.5 liters, spec sheet says 10.1) because a discrepancy that large means that if a tech saw both figures and guessed the wrong one, the engine would end up either severely underfilled or severely overfilled -- and it would have to be started in that condition since there's no manual dipstick.

Their first response from a few days ago:

Thank you very much for your inquiry. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

I wanted to make you aware I have forwarded this information to our technical team. It may take up to one week to respond to you with an official answer. We appreciate your patience while we look into this matter.

And just now:

We have investigated this matter further and want you to know that below I have provided the exact specifications:

Engine oil filling capacities for the Porsche GT4:
Engine oil change quantity (without oil filter): Filling capacity: 7.25 Liter
Engine oil change quantity (with oil filter): Filling capacity: 7.5 Liter
Engine oil quantity for new engine: Filling capacity: 10.1 Liter

The quantity for a new engine is the amount of oil that is put into the vehicle when it leaves the factory. The added amount accounts for oil filling the necessary areas in the engine to assure that all components are properly lubricated.

So there you have it. Happy DIY oil changes everyone!
Old 07-17-2015, 02:28 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, the Track Junkies will be happy that the oil capacity is so large. DIY'ers will be happy that they don't have to buy quite as much oil. OCD types will bemoan that their fresh oil will be diluted by a third with used oil. Typical win-lose situation.
The following users liked this post:
RAGT4P (09-12-2021)
Old 07-17-2015, 02:43 PM
Rob VN
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Time for a deep sump

I'm disappointed the GT4 has no larger capacity than standard engines. Considering the thrashing they are likely to get in the real world.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:59 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rob VN
I'm disappointed the GT4 has no larger capacity than standard engines. Considering the thrashing they are likely to get in the real world.
How many engines have a capacity greater than 10L? It's pretty generous, IMO.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:07 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
How many engines have a capacity greater than 10L? It's pretty generous, IMO.
My M3 takes 8.75 quarts on an oil change, but yeah it's very rare. I admit I'm surprised there's that much oil elsewhere throughout the GT4's engine though.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:24 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Official word on oil capacity discrepancy

Originally Posted by Rob VN
What? Why? Makes no sense. Never mind....
Old 07-17-2015, 03:42 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,045 Likes on 2,847 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
My M3 takes 8.75 quarts on an oil change, but yeah it's very rare. I admit I'm surprised there's that much oil elsewhere throughout the GT4's engine though.
I wonder if it's because you can't drain the integrated dry sump. On a real dry sump motor, there are two drains (one for the engine and one for the oil tank). In any case, it's normal for there to be residual oil in the lines and cooler (if there is one on the GT4).
Old 07-17-2015, 03:47 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the Track Junkies will be happy that the oil capacity is so large. DIY'ers will be happy that they don't have to buy quite as much oil. OCD types will bemoan that their fresh oil will be diluted by a third with used oil. Typical win-lose situation.

Before I got through reading this I was already in your 3rd category. ...lol. Definitely OCD when it comes to oil changes.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:28 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Interesting and good info! As a point of comparison, a 993 takes 10 liters with two filters at a change, and about 12.5 in the system. But then again, it lacks that 20+ litres of coolant, so given the bulk of the heat dissapation is not relying on the oil, 10L overall for the gt4 lubrication sounds pretty generous.

Cheers

Mike
Old 07-17-2015, 04:42 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Does any of the oil travel to the front of the car for an oil cooler?
Old 07-17-2015, 06:06 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hot-J
Before I got through reading this I was already in your 3rd category. ...lol. Definitely OCD when it comes to oil changes.
Yep. May have to change oil, start 'er up, drive around the block, and change again. LOL. I would never do that, but the idea did cross my mind for a second.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:47 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fishing
Yep. May have to change oil, start 'er up, drive around the block, and change again. LOL. I would never do that, but the idea did cross my mind for a second.
Wouldn't help - there'd still be used oil left in there. Might be best to just trade for a new car at each oil change interval.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:47 PM
thegunguy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't help - there'd still be used oil left in there. Might be best to just trade for a new car at each oil change interval.
That's a bit excessive. Why trade the car when you really just need a new engine.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:47 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 211 Likes on 123 Posts

Thanks for finding this out. Did you contact PCNA through the form on their website? I have been considering writing them about the LWB issue and how some (albeit not a lot) of us were forced to take allocations with only sofa seats available. It would be nice if they would be willing to sell us at least one seat afterwards at some reasonable price.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:27 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 561 Likes on 276 Posts

Oil - the most contentious topic among car guys like fingernail polish amongst trophy wives (is it? I don't know, hell if I understand them).

Quick Reply: Official word on oil capacity discrepancy