Sponsored by: APR

Australian GT4s

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 04:21 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mungee
Thanks Warwick, was great to meet you also. Yes there is definitely a '42 in there for sure, being so close is annoying.

I might do the super sprint season next year for sure, I have contested the odd event over the years in a few differing cars. But might actually contest the whole season.

I bought front Tarrett springs (390 pounds) I think they are, but have not fitted them yet. Will help with turn and dive I feel. I also need to stiffen up my DSC about 10-15% to see if that helps also.

I want to go the light fly and short FD also as all of the above should help get very deep into the 42's or even a magically 41 potentially. The infamous gearbox is stopping me pulling the trigger though as all I am doing is waiting for the failure.

I need more camber though as 3.2 and 2.7 is not enough, outside tyre wear is showing up over inside.

I don't have my 43.05 on video, it didn't record as fate would have it, but have my 43.18 and you are in front which always helps, love hunting people down...lol.

When you fitting your springs? What rate are they?
The Tarrett springs are F 448lb (vs OEM 257) and R 560lb (vs OEM 457) so quite a lot stiffer at the front. I've also ordered the CMS sway bars and will have them both fitted up together. The springs are in the range for OEM PASM dampers (I also run a DSC controller). Fitting the FD is an expensive job and I'll hold off on that until there is more data around (maybe from you hahaha).

I am running 3.5 and 3.0 and still scrubbing the tyres. IMO it is not a camber issue but rather a roll problem because of the soft front, hence the investment in springs and bars. I run my old 996.1 GT3 on bilstein two way race dampers and spring rates about 2* OEM with OEM sway bars on full hard. I've done a 1:41.4 in that old girl on AO50's. It's a wonderful car and I hope to the GT4 set up as good one day.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:59 AM
mungee
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
The Tarrett springs are F 448lb (vs OEM 257) and R 560lb (vs OEM 457) so quite a lot stiffer at the front. I've also ordered the CMS sway bars and will have them both fitted up together. The springs are in the range for OEM PASM dampers (I also run a DSC controller). Fitting the FD is an expensive job and I'll hold off on that until there is more data around (maybe from you hahaha).

I am running 3.5 and 3.0 and still scrubbing the tyres. IMO it is not a camber issue but rather a roll problem because of the soft front, hence the investment in springs and bars. I run my old 996.1 GT3 on bilstein two way race dampers and spring rates about 2* OEM with OEM sway bars on full hard. I've done a 1:41.4 in that old girl on AO50's. It's a wonderful car and I hope to the GT4 set up as good one day.
Great times form a 996 GT3 - I wanted to buy both F&R Swift springs but bought front only and I think mine are 390ish lbs.

I agree we need to limit the roll as that's where the wear is coming form and the understeer.

Be great to see how you go with these mods for sure, I will pick up the light fly also to help it rev out more also.

I never fitted the front CMS Bar, so will fit it also. I am full stiff on the rear CMS bar already.

I am at Wakefield tomorrow with Charlie will see how I go there.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:44 PM
Snowman.
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW - I've run up-rated springs on my car for a while now and sadly I didn't find they did a lot other than making my road driving less pleasant.

I'm not sure what the answer is - maybe springs need to go up a lot more (I effectively doubled my spring rates). I'm not sure what rates the CS run? But I feel you'd really need to get up to around the 600/800 rates to really see a difference.

Oh - FWIW my Guards LSD arrived in the mail today. I'll have it fitted up in time for Bathurst. It's my thoughts that this is the main final piece to the GT4 puzzle. Drive out of slow corners is still the cars biggest weakness IMO.

Last edited by Snowman.; 10-29-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:02 PM
Dicknose
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spotted a yellow GT4 today - bxc plate (eyesight bad, memory worse) - at Chatswood.
Anyone here?
Was on my bike, but tried to make eye contact! Wish I’d been in the Spyder, would have been more obvious.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:36 AM
Charliekay
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

A couple of shots from today's day at Challenge Bathurst.

Went over to meet Andrew but couldn't find him in the garages.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:37 AM
Snowman.
Instructor

Great shot Charlie! I sure do love driving around Bathurst. I couldn’t beat my time from last year (0.1s slower) despite the added aero and new rear diff. Car was significantly slower down the hill with the extra aero which cancelled out the time gained over the top. Was a good learning curve though. I do like how the car feels though with the aero changes. I reckon at some tracks there will be a lap time gain.

Sorry I wasn’t around in the garage - these events I tend to run around a lot catching up with people.

I did see your car in the car park though!
Old 11-18-2017, 03:18 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Originally Posted by Snowman.
Great shot Charlie! I sure do love driving around Bathurst. I couldn’t beat my time from last year (0.1s slower) despite the added aero and new rear diff. Car was significantly slower down the hill with the extra aero which cancelled out the time gained over the top. Was a good learning curve though. I do like how the car feels though with the aero changes. I reckon at some tracks there will be a lap time gain.

Sorry I wasn’t around in the garage - these events I tend to run around a lot catching up with people.

I did see your car in the car park though!
Not a problem mate, it gets a bit busy so completely understand. 1/10th is nothing, at least you're consistent.

Was wet all day yesterday so took it a bit slow, it is dry this morning so hoping to dip into the 2.3x. We willl see what today brings
Old 11-20-2017, 12:39 AM
Charliekay
Racer

Ended up doing a best of 2.36.4. Definitely alot more in it as that was with traffic. I was by far the quickest in my group and most people were doing 3 minutes + so didn't help with my time.

Here is a video of a 2.38 lap. Turn 2 and 22 were slower because of the other cars and I literally rolled through the Esses as the yellow/red flag (oil spill) was being waved so had to run with caution.

Definitely think there is a 2.29 in me. Looking forward to next year, might run in the Supersprint.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:03 AM
Snowman.
Instructor

I take it your car isn't stock standard? The top speeds up and down the hill seem far higher than mine.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:45 AM
Charliekay
Racer

Originally Posted by Snowman.
I take it your car isn't stock standard? The top speeds up and down the hill seem far higher than mine.
Not standard. Has catted headers and IPD but the speed isn't right either. I was running 19s with smaller rolling diameter tyres so the speedo is out.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:53 AM
mungee
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Charliekay
A couple of shots from today's day at Challenge Bathurst.

Went over to meet Andrew but couldn't find him in the garages.

Lovely Photos and looks like a great event. I wanted to participate this year but will lock it in for next year for sure and join you guys.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:26 AM
Warwick Morris
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

I took my Lambo GT3 along for the sprint. Bathurst is just such a fun couple of days. I did the sprint (Lambo but had issues with the car) and regularity (in GT4 zero issue but mega fun) last year but just the sprint this yearn the Lambo and it ran beautifully. Attached is slow but very wet lap with lots of passes. It was cool but I was sweating anyway! If you have a half way decent car and the time everyone should do this event at least once.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:59 PM
NevB
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Warwick Morris
I took my Lambo GT3 along for the sprint. Bathurst is just such a fun couple of days. I did the sprint (Lambo but had issues with the car) and regularity (in GT4 zero issue but mega fun) last year but just the sprint this yearn the Lambo and it ran beautifully. Attached is slow but very wet lap with lots of passes. It was cool but I was sweating anyway! If you have a half way decent car and the time everyone should do this event at least once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI9V_JZqUC8
youtube has blocked your video; dumb AI
Old 11-20-2017, 04:45 PM
Snowman.
Instructor

I agree with Warwick - the Mountain is a must do. I love this event even though we did get far too many red flags this year and the rain sucked. But I actually enjoy doing this Challenge Bathurst event even more than racing at 6hr etc as it’s a real fun and relaxed atmosphere.

I’d love to have a go in something like Warwick’s car around there though! I just got an offer to race at 12hr next year in a GT4 spec car (Ginetta) - but I’m thinking I might try and grab a Cup Car during the year next year to have for Challenge Bathurst as well.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:46 PM
Charliekay
Racer

Originally Posted by mungee
Lovely Photos and looks like a great event. I wanted to participate this year but will lock it in for next year for sure and join you guys.
Thanks mate. Would be awesome if we could all be in the same group. I am going to go back next year but will probably do the Supersprint. Even though looking at the results I have no chance of winning, I would rather be in a group where everyone is faster and I am chasing, than be in a group where I am getting held up in traffic.

Quick Reply: Australian GT4s