Sponsored by: APR

A Killer Croc - My Cayman GT4 Ownership Journal

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 11:04 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
There's no competing forums. They're all owned by Internet Brands.
Sad but true
Old 08-26-2015, 11:40 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Accel Junky
Videos don't do it justice. Just insane in person

So I've heard. I guess I'll have to make a quick decision on that as he does include that in his price. Almost wonder if it would be worth the risk to keep my headlights looking better for longer or if the Xpel will look worse after a couple years than the bare headlights...

I think I'm going to just hit up the car with a clay and light polish and any trouble spots (there is a front bumper scratch from the dealer) and then call it a day in hopes that I don't mess up his wrap prep.

We usually have good prices here in GA. Hopefully he doesn't get a call before I take my car in lol. I'm with you on the headlights...would rather wrap them if they will look better for longer.

I believe the installer I'm booked with said his patterns are modified to wrap the important edges. All sides of hood, fenders wrap into hood compartment, top of bumper wraps in. He does not wrap the back of the fenders as he says those edges will just lift over time.
Personally I plan on doing the headlights.
I've had Xpel on my 2005 Boxster headlights for over 10 years now and no issues whatsoever, still look new.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:25 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

OK, tonight's update:

I installed the the clear LED side markers (made an install video too). The installation is such a joke...I'm surprised they don't fall out of the bumper on the road. Please, please do not pay a dealer anything to do this. I noticed a weird defect on the top center of each clear lense. Looks like flashing from manufacturing or something. I checked online and notice Suncoast's part picture has that same defect. So either I got their defect demo pieces or they are all like this... I guess I can live with it.

Also, I cleaned the leather and treated it with Leather Master products. This is one of the best detailing products that actually works as promised. Leaves the leather with that factory matte finish. (No pics...it looks the same as new)..

Xpel install is scheduled for next week. After that I'll drive the car to 1,000 miles and do the break-in oil change.

You can see the defect on the top center. It is also present on the orange light but less noticeable.

Name:  78F3D072-646D-4DA6-B803-50A924A0D3CA_zpsamyoqcmf.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  256.2 KB

Name:  3AE843A6-5C5F-48B8-8504-EEE4AB02AEE8_zpsatvlgiov.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  272.2 KB

Name:  0EC7B2E7-2D8E-409C-8B96-33CC17E53644_zpsoyq3uvig.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  267.4 KB

Name:  6502BF4B-FA03-4DB2-A39F-2C9F5C78A1F0_zpsicvkkm6s.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  225.7 KB

Name:  57FDB431-48F6-47F9-AC65-A93B712885E1_zpsjl2fyj3v.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  232.1 KB
Old 08-27-2015, 11:59 PM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, tonight's update:
I noticed a weird defect on the top center of each clear lense. Looks like flashing from manufacturing or something. I checked online and notice Suncoast's part picture has that same defect. So either I got their defect demo pieces or they are all like this... I guess I can live with it.
I saw the same on my Suncoast clear marker. I'm thinking they all are like this...

I actually let our dealer do the install when I picked it up....no charge.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:04 AM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by csbear
I saw the same on my Suncoast clear marker. I'm thinking they all are like this...

You would figure for cars like these there wouldn't be such a blatant blemish! I wonder why they couldn't have designed the mold to leave that spot on the underside?
Old 08-28-2015, 01:25 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts
Default A Killer Croc - My Cayman GT4 Ownership Journal

Very impressive write up, I'm relieved/happy that no mention of the very long the gearing was made… Do you still feel like you can row the gears on the road? Or do you just accept that second and third year are most of all you'll ever use?
Old 08-28-2015, 10:38 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Very impressive write up, I'm relieved/happy that no mention of the very long the gearing was made… Do you still feel like you can row the gears on the road? Or do you just accept that second and third year are most of all you'll ever use?
Honestly, I haven't noticed the gears but I think that is because I haven't tried to wind any out yet. To me, there is enough low and midrange to putt around town without issue. I think the problem will be when I want to get frisky and I'm exceeding 80 from a 2nd gear punch.

I've only driven the car home from the dealer so far with that first road trip. I am waiting to get the Xpel on before I do more driving.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:25 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by PistolPete
Thank you for posting this!

For oil changes, I've purchased a few extra drain plugs and the Porsche filter wrench tool from Suncoast Parts. Be very careful with the oil drain plug, as you figured it's very easy to strip.
Looks like a standard plug - the trick is to use a good allen socket tool (like SnapOn or equivalent) and make sure it's fully seated before applying pressure, and the plug will last a long time. When I put the plug back, I am careful to snug it down but not overtighten - like 20-25 ft lbs or so.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-29-2015, 04:28 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike J
Looks like a standard plug - the trick is to use a good allen socket tool (like SnapOn or equivalent) and make sure it's fully seated before applying pressure, and the plug will last a long time. When I put the plug back, I am careful to snug it down but not overtighten - like 20-25 ft lbs or so.
Cheers,
Mike
I've been changing my Boxster engine oil for the past 10 years and still have the original drain plug, no problems.
Just take your time, make sure the allen head is all the way in before applying torque on the socket.
When installing I hand tighten first then torque.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:29 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

So...I just realized that even with the leather interior option, my seat bottoms are synthetic and the uppers are real (there is a slight difference in the material to the touch and visually). I guess I didn't understand that from the configurator. I figured the leather upgrade removed the partial leather seating...

Might explain why the outer seat cushion bolster developed a cease on both seats from day 1...
Old 08-30-2015, 01:02 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

So...I just realized that even with the leather interior option, my seat bottoms are synthetic and the uppers are real (there is a slight difference in the material to the touch and visually). I guess I didn't understand that from the configurator. I figured the leather upgrade removed the partial leather seating...

Might explain why the outer seat cushion bolster developed a cease on both seats from day 1...
Hummm Now that is not encouraging
Translation "Why, that sucks !"
Old 08-30-2015, 04:01 PM
MP4L
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting write up, thank you for doing that Accel.
Regarding Xpel, are you going to wrap the headlights? I remeber I read somewhere that it damages the uv protection layer and introduces some delamination.

I only did the front bumper, mirrors and door cups. These are the parts that took a lot of beating in my old car.

Thanks again and keep the impressions coming....
Old 08-30-2015, 10:10 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MP4L
Very interesting write up, thank you for doing that Accel.
Regarding Xpel, are you going to wrap the headlights? I remeber I read somewhere that it damages the uv protection layer and introduces some delamination.

I only did the front bumper, mirrors and door cups. These are the parts that took a lot of beating in my old car.

Thanks again and keep the impressions coming....
My pleasure!

I think I am going to do the headlights. I figure if Xpel is really self healing perhaps the Xpel will look better longer than pitted headlights.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:13 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

My pleasure!

I think I am going to do the headlights. I figure if Xpel is really self healing perhaps the Xpel will look better longer than pitted headlights.
Good call.
I also plan on covering the headlights.
Have had it on my Boxster for 10 years and they still look brand new.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:15 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

So today I have been prepping for/starting some initial paint correction before I take it to get wrapped. Washed it twice, clayed, washed again. Fortunately, it does not need much correction. I fixed a pretty good scratch that came from the dealership on the front bumper but otherwise the paint looked pretty good so I'm just giving it a finishing polish and then I'll wax it for the trip to the Xpel guy. One thing that irked me was the taillights. Just with the one dealer wash they are pretty swirled up. I'm afraid to rub on them in case they have some sort of UV coating like the headlights are said to have.

Name:  28F1479C-B525-4ED3-81B0-C19AFC70BBB7_zpsd3juhdld.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  174.0 KB

Name:  D7F6ACAF-16C9-4445-9A91-306475C5840E_zpshxunze11.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  354.2 KB

Name:  721568B8-E6AE-423E-9C06-4822409737BF_zpsx6p9vpuo.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  293.9 KB

Name:  6318BD92-4A73-44D8-ACE1-08B9D663CE1E_zpspnj7atoq.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  232.1 KB