Sponsored by: APR

A Killer Croc - My Cayman GT4 Ownership Journal

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 01:16 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajjra
Interesting. I'm trying to imagine an installer trying to line that up.

My understanding is that the best installers do not use the pre-cuts. They order large sheets from XPEL and custom cut everything to size.
Exactly what I heard
Old 08-25-2015, 02:53 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default A Killer Croc - My Cayman GT4 Ownership Journal

Accel, can you say who your quote is from? PM me if needed. That seems like a good deal.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:03 PM
rickdm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just dropped off the GT4 today at a local installer in Dallas. They use Suntek, no pre-cut, and it was $2,350 for the complete front, and another $350 for assorted other areas (gils, etc.). The price is in line for the better installers in the area.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:11 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 597 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Exactly what I heard
I have discussed this extensively with my guy. The pre-cut ones lay in there and will leave a seam showing if they're not perfect. The guys that really go the extra mile have us remove things like headlights, intakes, etc so they can lay it behind the edges so that it doesn't show. They don't use pre-cuts and prefer the extra material to tuck behind edges. The one on my 981 isn't that great as it's pre-cut and dirty now because dirt and road debris are magnetically drawn to the intake given the car's design.

We ordered a white car but there's a good chance this car is getting wrapped in BGB green and for the cost of paint protection, we can have a different color.

I know i know i know...but the hope is that it looks as good as this one! The beauty of the wrap is that if you don't like it, you're not stuck with it and in an afternoon you can be back to original. We used vinyl a lot for fixing crashed cars at the race track and we can do almost everything except maybe a bumper cover, which I lack the patience to complete without help! I don't know where this car came from, who owns it or what but I love the color.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:22 AM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Reborn996
Accel, can you say who your quote is from? PM me if needed. That seems like a good deal.
His quote was undoubtedly from Atlanta Protective Films. That is THE place to go in the Atlanta area. He does all the high end work for Ferrari,Lambo, etc. He uses xpel patterns but computer cuts his own film, be it xpel or suntek. He can change parameters in the program, such as extending the film a half inch to areas so he can wrap the edges where applicable. Most of the gt3s in Atlanta were wrapped by him.

Last edited by DrDrilZ; 08-26-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:46 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I have discussed this extensively with my guy. The pre-cut ones lay in there and will leave a seam showing if they're not perfect. The guys that really go the extra mile have us remove things like headlights, intakes, etc so they can lay it behind the edges so that it doesn't show. They don't use pre-cuts and prefer the extra material to tuck behind edges.
That is exactly what he said he wants to do ...
Remove stuff that he has to in order to to get behind so the edges never show.
I just got the invoice on the Tax and Reg fees on this car, from my dealer, for the commie state I live in !! OMG !#@$! It's no wonder why I haven't bought a new Porsche in 27 yrs! I could have this car wrapped in gold leaf for this much money ... WAFJ
Old 08-26-2015, 01:08 AM
soupy
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 23 Posts

My Xpel Ultimate full front and rockers used their precut kit template on the plotter and it all wrapped around the edges on the obvious sections such as the hood and intakes just fine. My installer removed the headlights to wrap around it and even the side markers to tuck under there too. I'm very hesitant in having installers not use software templates off a plotter because that means they're doing custom cuts and there are very few installers out there who I'd trust using a razor on film pressing against my car's paint (yes, they do this).
Old 08-26-2015, 02:15 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by soupy
My Xpel Ultimate full front and rockers used their precut kit template on the plotter and it all wrapped around the edges on the obvious sections such as the hood and intakes just fine. My installer removed the headlights to wrap around it and even the side markers to tuck under there too. I'm very hesitant in having installers not use software templates off a plotter because that means they're doing custom cuts and there are very few installers out there who I'd trust using a razor on film pressing against my car's paint (yes, they do this).
Yes they do. I have seen this guy in action. That's why you pay the best guy to do it, and yes it kills me to pay out the butt, but it is an art...
It makes me wonder what over-sized templates wouldn't help in cutting down the time and cost ( but I guess they are old school and people are wiling to pay them)
Old 08-26-2015, 06:14 AM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
His quote was undoubtedly from Atlanta Protective Films. That is THE place to go in the Atlanta area. He does all the high end work for Ferrari,Lambo, etc. He uses xpel patterns but cuts his own film, be it xpel or suntek. He can change parameters in the program, such as extending the film a half inch to areas so he can wrap the edges where applicable. Most of the gt3s in Atlanta were wrapped by him.
Correct. Sorry I've been slow to respond. Started a new job this week and have been extremely busy.

I have some more updates to make soon and also will be making more videos this weekend.

I washed the car last night in prep for clay/polish. I will probably do that this weekend and then be ready to take it for the Xpel.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:07 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Damn, the first video had me jumping in my seat !!!
Oh Lord ....!!! I can't wait !!
Videos don't do it justice. Just insane in person

Originally Posted by PistolPete
Careful with applying Xpel to the headlights of the GT4. Search for deamination of the UV coating on the GT3 forums to get the details.

Based on that information, I plan to leave my headlights bare, as much as that annoys me.
So I've heard. I guess I'll have to make a quick decision on that as he does include that in his price. Almost wonder if it would be worth the risk to keep my headlights looking better for longer or if the Xpel will look worse after a couple years than the bare headlights...

Originally Posted by sunnyr
I went through this on my GT3 and what I was told then -
If the paint is in pretty good state (which it should be being a new car), doing a correction is probably a waste of money since the wrap kind of hides minor defects anyway. And yes, the installer said having trace leftover polish on the edges of panels can effect adhesion and to wait a week if I did do the correction before installing the film. I didn't. I got it wrapped first and then detailed/cquartz afterwards.
I think I'm going to just hit up the car with a clay and light polish and any trouble spots (there is a front bumper scratch from the dealer) and then call it a day in hopes that I don't mess up his wrap prep.

That Xpel quote is good for that amount of coverage. Xpel is in the middle of making all certified installers have a base minimum price it seems, even cold calling installers for quotes to check up on them, and that quote you got is very much on the low end. I didn't paint correct mine before installing and all my installer does is wash and clay the car before laying film down. I'm probably going to spend this upcoming weekend doing some single step correction (Sonax Nano Paint Cleaner) on the non-filmed areas that clearly show some light wash swirls to level out the shine.

I also went ahead and did my headlights again like I did on my GTS. My installer has no qualms doing them and has successfully removed them without delamination. Even if removal is a roll of the dice, I'd rather have a chance of it being damaged with delamination than it definitely being damaged being peppered by road bits and washing.
We usually have good prices here in GA. Hopefully he doesn't get a call before I take my car in lol. I'm with you on the headlights...would rather wrap them if they will look better for longer.

I believe the installer I'm booked with said his patterns are modified to wrap the important edges. All sides of hood, fenders wrap into hood compartment, top of bumper wraps in. He does not wrap the back of the fenders as he says those edges will just lift over time.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:19 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Quick update for the night. I've been extremely busy adjusting to my new job and my new lengthy commute but I did get some goodies in the mail today!

Clear lenses plus a filter kit from SunCoast. Then I found a guy who put together a pretty cool iPhone/camera mount for the 981 with remove mic. I copied his setup almost exactly. It mounts on the bar behind the seats.

I checked online and it seemed like every Cayman used the same oil filter and every 911 the same so I took a chance on a standard 981 filter. I also talked to my sales guy and he obtained the same part # from the service dept. I guess I'll find out when I go to do the break in oil change here pretty soon. I'm tentatively planning to hit 1,000 miles and then do the break-in change and let her rip.

Name:  01FD947E-B354-447D-B9C5-B6B6B15A8C9A_zpsamxrbpm3.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  308.7 KB

Name:  D5A79324-B6B9-4407-8DF2-741BC854FFA2_zpssejrrwnn.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  258.5 KB

Name:  EDB94FA2-95F4-4535-8875-51181109B9FD_zps4wyvcoai.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  264.5 KB
Old 08-26-2015, 10:24 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Accel Junky
Then I found a guy who put together a pretty cool iPhone/camera mount for the 981 with remove mic. I copied his setup almost exactly. It mounts on the bar behind the seats.
Would love a link to that resource. And prt # for the mount. I need to mount this

https://www.autosportlabs.com/racecapturepro-2/

in the car and want to a temp setup before the harness bar becomes its ultimate resting place. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:32 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by katmeho
Would love a link to that resource. And prt # for the mount. I need to mount this

https://www.autosportlabs.com/racecapturepro-2/

in the car and want to a temp setup before the harness bar becomes its ultimate resting place. Thanks in advance.
PM'd you since it is from a competing forum.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:58 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Would love that info as well
Thanks bid
Regards
Ed
Old 08-26-2015, 11:01 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts
Default A Killer Croc - My Cayman GT4 Ownership Journal

There's no competing forums. They're all owned by Internet Brands.

Quick Reply: A Killer Croc - My Cayman GT4 Ownership Journal