Sponsored by: APR

A Killer Croc - My Cayman GT4 Ownership Journal

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 12:43 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Accel Junky
I think this whole exercise will be worth it just for the seat change.
Props for not settling and making it happen the way you wanted to.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:02 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 88 Posts

Congrats on the change. I love the SBM, which I currently also have.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:17 PM
Love2Apex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the LWBs! Just wanted to chime in here regarding E36/7 M Coupes and funny how many GT4 owners had or have them! I have two Coupes currently, my baby that I purchased new an S52 Estoril Blue Garage queen that is absolutely mint, and a Phoenix Yellow S54 that is a total beast and in close to mint condition as well. Can't bring my self to sell the S54, as I have pondered it many times, told myself only car worthwhile to sell it for is a 997.2 GT3RS I definitely need some more garage space... The GT4 I feel will still not be quite as raw as the S54 Coupe, close and mid-engined though! Too many cars and not enough time to drive them now is my only gripe.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:39 PM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Latest is my YMB M3 is sold and gone.

My GT4 is going away on Monday to the new owner.

I've put a deposit down and spec'd my new GT4 order as follows:

Agate Grey Metallic
Leather Interior, Black (Stitching in Guards Red)
Extended Range Fuel Tank, 16.91 gal
Smoking Package
Deviated Stitching i.c.w. Leather Interior
Wing Supports in Black
Carbon Fiber Interior Package i.c.w. Leather Interior
Full Bucket Seats
Wheels Painted in Satin Black
Center Console Trim in Carbon Fiber
Seat Belts in Guards Red
Really nice spec. You and I have similar tastes as both our SBM cars were almost identical I think. And now you picked a color combo I really like as well: Agate Grey/Red/Black wheels! Go for it, and have fun with the change in color.

As for PCCBs, you would be replacing the brakes less often as well (life between steel vs pccb is approximately 2x I think), so some consolation in that.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:55 PM
Asiandude66
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Latest is my YMB M3 is sold and gone.

My GT4 is going away on Monday to the new owner.

I've put a deposit down and spec'd my new GT4 order as follows:

Agate Grey Metallic
Leather Interior, Black (Stitching in Guards Red)
Extended Range Fuel Tank, 16.91 gal
Smoking Package
Deviated Stitching i.c.w. Leather Interior
Wing Supports in Black
Carbon Fiber Interior Package i.c.w. Leather Interior
Full Bucket Seats
Wheels Painted in Satin Black
Center Console Trim in Carbon Fiber
Seat Belts in Guards Red

It doesn't freeze until March 22 for late June US arrival so I've got some time to change my mind. I'm struggling on the color. I love the Sapphire Blue of my existing GT4 but I kind of feel like changing it up for the sake of change. I'm also on the fence regarding the PCCBs. I was disappointed with the weight of the car compared to the advertised curb weight so I'm tempted to get the PCCBs this time to get closer to that sub-3000lb weight we all thought it would be. However, the PCCBs are so expensive with minor benefits and I really don't care for the yellow especially if I'm doing red stitching. I guess I could always get them painted red. Due to various commitments I only have time to do 3-4 track days per year right now for the foreseeable future so I think the PCCBs would last for me. Also the reduction of dust on the street would be a nice benefit. But for the money...just hard to justify. If I did add the PCCBs I might have to drop most of the cosmetic options to lessen the blow but I feel like the leather/alcantara makes the interior special as it should be.

I had a chance to sit in the LWBs and I was very pleased with how comfortable they were for my build/shape compared to the very narrow 2 ways. I think this whole exercise will be worth it just for the seat change.
If you go PCCB...the yellow stitched interior will tie it out nicely (on the Agate Grey)
For myself I am debating on RY vs SBM currently...(on PCCBs and Yellow Stitch/Belts)
Old 12-17-2015, 02:59 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by Asiandude66
If you go PCCB...the yellow stitched interior will tie it out nicely (on the Agate Grey)
For myself I am debating on RY vs SBM currently...(on PCCBs and Yellow Stitch/Belts)
Agree - went with Carmine red w/PCCBs and did yellow stitching
Old 12-21-2015, 03:52 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Said goodbye today. New owner, Josh, picked her up today. He was kind enough to let me route everything through the dealer as a courtesy trade which helped both of us out.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:04 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Looking forward to seeing the new car in the spring, it's almost my twin with the exception of the red stitching!
Old 12-28-2015, 06:38 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

I changed my new build to add PCCBs, delete red seatbelts and change to leather w/ platinum stitching.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PGFX7424

I've thought a lot about the PCCBs and I'd really like to give them a shot because I've never had carbon ceramic brakes before. I get the bigger calipers/rotors and the rotating/unsprung weight savings. I typically only have time to do about 2-4 track days per year and I would probably only take the GT4 to 1 or 2 of those days. I'm an intermediate driver so I figure with 1-2 track days per year max the PCCBs should outlast my ownership. If what everyone says is true about the brake dust, that would be a godsend for the black wheels and icing on the cake. The cost doesn't really make sense for them but I'm just too curious...

The downside is that I just can't see having the yellow calipers and the red stitching/seatbelts in the interior so I think going back to platinum stitching is the only way I could stomach this. Would be nice to get the PCCBs in the regular red caliper color... I guess I could always get them powder coated aftermarket.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:24 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

^ Why not go with yellow stitching?- would look great

You can still keep the seat belts in black
Old 12-28-2015, 07:59 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 145 Posts

I changed my new build to add PCCBs, delete red seatbelts and change to leather w/ platinum stitching.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PGFX7424

I've thought a lot about the PCCBs and I'd really like to give them a shot because I've never had carbon ceramic brakes before. I get the bigger calipers/rotors and the rotating/unsprung weight savings. I typically only have time to do about 2-4 track days per year and I would probably only take the GT4 to 1 or 2 of those days. I'm an intermediate driver so I figure with 1-2 track days per year max the PCCBs should outlast my ownership. If what everyone says is true about the brake dust, that would be a godsend for the black wheels and icing on the cake. The cost doesn't really make sense for them but I'm just too curious...

The downside is that I just can't see having the yellow calipers and the red stitching/seatbelts in the interior so I think going back to platinum stitching is the only way I could stomach this. Would be nice to get the PCCBs in the regular red caliper color... I guess I could always get them powder coated aftermarket.
Have you seen the carbon interior's weave? It's not even close to the LWBS CF pattern.. I would say you ditch that and purchase through the after market.. cheaper and weave is a better match. (which is what I decided to do after seeing it in person)
You should def add the yellow stitching and belts.. would round off perfectly with the pccb's..
-Would love to shoot this car afterwards,
Old 12-28-2015, 10:20 PM
bhk1004
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought you hated the base stereo screen? Figured you would be upgrading the screen.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:38 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^ Why not go with yellow stitching?- would look great

You can still keep the seat belts in black
I'm just not a yellow kind of guy. Kind of why I would prefer painting the PCCB calipers but if there are no other contrasting colors I think I can live with them.

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Have you seen the carbon interior's weave? It's not even close to the LWBS CF pattern.. I would say you ditch that and purchase through the after market.. cheaper and weave is a better match. (which is what I decided to do after seeing it in person)
You should def add the yellow stitching and belts.. would round off perfectly with the pccb's..
-Would love to shoot this car afterwards,
Yeah, I had the carbon interior on the first GT4 and while the weave isn't going to match I grew to appreciate it strangely. My F80 was the same way. The roof weave was different from the interior trim weave.

I've got time so who knows...may change it. I was kind of thinking about doing the black aluminum trim on the cheap just to dodge the base silver trim and then buying carbon trim later like you said.

Originally Posted by bhk1004
I thought you hated the base stereo screen? Figured you would be upgrading the screen.
Yeah, I think the base screen resolution looks dated. Only thing is I just can't justify $3K for the PCM to fix it when I really don't want or need any of the features. The other alternative is CDR for a little less but that adds the wart it looks like.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:33 AM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

V260 today, baby!! 1 week earlier than expected, 3 weeks earlier than planned. They must've found me a set of PCCBs lying around...

Last edited by Accel Junky; 04-29-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:41 AM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

V260 today, baby!! 1 week earlier than expected, 3 weeks earlier than planned. They must've found me a set of PCCBs laying around...
Congrats!!

Quick Reply: A Killer Croc - My Cayman GT4 Ownership Journal