Sponsored by: APR

A Killer Croc - My Cayman GT4 Ownership Journal

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 10:33 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I thought buckets were tighter and more enveloping than sofas? .. Definitely felt that way when I tried them in a gt4 at zentrum during pebble.
I'm good around the mid section it's just the shoulder and upper lats that don't fit in the seat. I didn't think I was particular wide. I'm 5'11 on a good day and 188lbs or so, somewhat athletic build.

Originally Posted by PistolPete
The buckets are surprisingly wide around the shoulder area so if your have wide shoulders they would be perfect.

A friend of mine with a 987.1 Cayman with 18-way seats gave me a ride to the clear bra shop to pick my car up. I immediately felt more comfortable getting into my bucket seats.

The 18-ways were scrunching my shoulders a bit. Now granted I'm not sure if the 18-way seat design has changed with the current generation of cars.
They definitely scrunch my shoulders in pretty good. Not painful just a bit cramped feeling and could get annoying quickly. Sounds like the buckets could be a better fit for me. I can probably find some to sit in and see.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:17 AM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just stumbled on this thread. I remember seeing your dual m3 delivery thread on Bimmerpost! Thanks for sharing your comparisons on the m3 and gt4. I hope to have a similar garage as yours one day.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:23 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

^^ glad to see you over here! My garage isn't going to look like that for much longer. Sold my Yas F80. Too many toys and too expensive and time consuming to keep them nice.

On another note... I mentioned this earlier as a possibility but I now have a dealer who had me on the original wait list contact me about a new allocation. He didn't know I had this GT4 already. So now I am going to seriously pursue picking up the new allocation with buckets this time to fit my back/shoulders.

Question is if they can work the trade to get me out of this one without a loss. Or the alternative is maybe I can sell this one to someone who doesn't want to play the waiting game and ask a reasonable (?) MSRP plus tax plus my clear wrap expense. Anyone think that is possible after the latest influx of allocations?
Old 11-10-2015, 04:57 PM
soupy
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 23 Posts

The best a dealer would give you is MSRP for a trade I feel, considering the markups you see for GT4s aren't crazy like the GT3RS. I'm sure if you listed it here on RL someone in Cali might bite if you're willing to ship since dealers seem to be sticking with local buyers only for this new batch of allocations and most of the dealers there are asking 10-15k over. 5-8k over on a wrapped car with barely 1k miles seems reasonable especially when yours isn't loaded up with unnecessary options.

I considered doing this myself but in my case the 2-way seats fit just fine and I can drive long distances with no problems at all. LWBs aren't going away forever and there will always be a future GT car likely more desirable with it as an option. Doing this flip isn't going to fix the long gearing or limited camber adjustment issues so I decided it was a waste of time and effort for basically the same car. Now if PTS was available I would've done it, but thankfully it's not.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:24 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by soupy
The best a dealer would give you is MSRP for a trade I feel, considering the markups you see for GT4s aren't crazy like the GT3RS. I'm sure if you listed it here on RL someone in Cali might bite if you're willing to ship since dealers seem to be sticking with local buyers only for this new batch of allocations and most of the dealers there are asking 10-15k over. 5-8k over on a wrapped car with barely 1k miles seems reasonable especially when yours isn't loaded up with unnecessary options.

I considered doing this myself but in my case the 2-way seats fit just fine and I can drive long distances with no problems at all. LWBs aren't going away forever and there will always be a future GT car likely more desirable with it as an option. Doing this flip isn't going to fix the long gearing or limited camber adjustment issues so I decided it was a waste of time and effort for basically the same car. Now if PTS was available I would've done it, but thankfully it's not.
You make a good point...it would still be the same car and drive the same. Though I guess I would say not fitting in the seats is probably my number 2 complaint behind the gearing so if I could get this figured out at no net cost or minimal net cost at least I would be closer to having the dream car I wanted.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:35 AM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Yeah...dealer offered me $82-85k for it so I'm just going to list it privately.

I put the deposit down last night so as soon as the paperwork is done I'll feel comfortable listing this GT4. I think MSRP + tax + clear bra cost should be reasonable to ask. That would be something like $99,000 total. Has about 1500 miles on it. Never seen a track. Break in oil change done at 1000 miles.

I'm thinking about going Agate this time with black wheels, buckets (of course), red stitching, red seat belts and the rest of the options would stay the same. Only thing is...I know the blue looks good. I have zero regrets about it...so it would be safer to get it again. Also, Carmine looks very tempting but I have an Imola M3 DD right now so I'm not sure I want to be THAT red...

And the CDR Plus...I don't need it. Not one bit but the standard screen is so low-res it is embarrassing. Almost feel like I need to add this option to remove that complaint of mine...
Old 11-12-2015, 09:44 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Accel Junky
I'm thinking about going Agate this time with black wheels, buckets (of course), red stitching, red seat belts and the rest of the options would stay the same.
That's basically my color combo but without the red stitching. Check some of the photos here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskkgaa2K
Old 11-12-2015, 10:16 AM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PistolPete
That's basically my color combo but without the red stitching. Check some of the photos here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskkgaa2K
Ooh! That looks mighty fine! Going to be a tough call between this and going with the same Sapphire/Platinum combo I have.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:18 PM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ooh! That looks mighty fine! Going to be a tough call between this and going with the same Sapphire/Platinum combo I have.
Seriously consider the Carmine Red (and the price of course). My brother just picked up a Carmine Red 991 GTS and it is stunning in the sun.

I love my Sapphire Blue/Platinum combo like you, but I was like "Mother of God!" when I saw his Carmine Red GTS shining in the sun.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:39 AM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by csbear
Seriously consider the Carmine Red (and the price of course). My brother just picked up a Carmine Red 991 GTS and it is stunning in the sun.

I love my Sapphire Blue/Platinum combo like you, but I was like "Mother of God!" when I saw his Carmine Red GTS shining in the sun.
I'm definitely considering it. I like it. Looks a lot like Imola on my E46 M3 which I enjoy. Downside, as you mentioned, is the hefty price to add it.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:05 AM
Asiandude66
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

OP, great pics and write up!
I struggled with AG and SBM as well...still struggling actually with a rapidly closing build window
But I have yellow deviated stitching and belts to match to instead of Plat or Red.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:21 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 150 Posts

I'm definitely considering it. I like it. Looks a lot like Imola on my E46 M3 which I enjoy. Downside, as you mentioned, is the hefty price to add it.
Carmine is super nice. Below is a local Carmine car that I've seen a number of times. Course, color is very personal...SBM is the only GT4 color I don't care for.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:23 AM
Goons
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT4 vs F80 m3?

Thank you for this impressive body of work, Accel Junky. As a new GT4 owner found it very informative. I have the CF buckets, so if you have any questions, or even want a video of me getting in/out, I would be happy to help.

How would you compare the GT4 to your m3? The reason I ask is I am considering a DCT m3 sedan as my ohter car. I drove the M235I and left disapointed with zero steering feel and the electronic engine noise enhancement. (review on youtube if anybody cares under SundayDriver M235I)

My main fun in daily driving is enjoying the cornering G, and trying to get a good exit out of the corner. I love the feeling of how the gt4 squirms around when you come hard out of a corner. Would the m3 fit me?
Old 11-27-2015, 01:03 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

^ M3 has so much torque, it is probably faster in day to day situations. More than enough grip to take turns at crazy speeds for daily driving. With that power, can also make the rear dance on corner exit.

Steering feel and size of the car may leave you feeling cold, I don't know. Best to take a test drive.

I think the forthcoming M2 will be the best ///M to drive, but the interior quality is poor IMO.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:36 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Goons
Thank you for this impressive body of work, Accel Junky. As a new GT4 owner found it very informative. I have the CF buckets, so if you have any questions, or even want a video of me getting in/out, I would be happy to help.

How would you compare the GT4 to your m3? The reason I ask is I am considering a DCT m3 sedan as my ohter car. I drove the M235I and left disapointed with zero steering feel and the electronic engine noise enhancement. (review on youtube if anybody cares under SundayDriver M235I)

My main fun in daily driving is enjoying the cornering G, and trying to get a good exit out of the corner. I love the feeling of how the gt4 squirms around when you come hard out of a corner. Would the m3 fit me?
I found my M3 to be a great daily driver. Gobs of torque, usably fast, decent mileage (22mpg lifetime average mixed driving, 25-26mpg pure highway), great seats, standard nav, quiet enough but some sound when you get on it.

I had a manual. The DCT is neat I guess but not for me. I haven't driven the M235i but I would qualify the M3 steering as very accurate and tight but perhaps lacking feedback from the road. It was good enough to be for a daily driver and on the track it was fine in my relatively intermediate hands. The engine sound isn't great but I don't think it is terrible. The electronic sound can be coded out or if you get the HK audio package there is a separate amp for it that you can just unplug.

To me the size was not an issue. Feels smaller than it is. In fact it is almost identical in dimensions to the E39 M5 but 600lbs lighter and with much better power and economy. And I loved my E39 m5. I think it should be best considered a modernized E39.

It is a solid modern German muscle sedan but nothing new these days really has the interactive feeling we used to get from cars.

Originally Posted by vantage
^ M3 has so much torque, it is probably faster in day to day situations. More than enough grip to take turns at crazy speeds for daily driving. With that power, can also make the rear dance on corner exit.

Steering feel and size of the car may leave you feeling cold, I don't know. Best to take a test drive.

I think the forthcoming M2 will be the best ///M to drive, but the interior quality is poor IMO.
I agree, not impressed with the M2 interior. Doesn't look special. For not much more you can buy an F80 M3 which I would do.

Quick Reply: A Killer Croc - My Cayman GT4 Ownership Journal