Sponsored by: APR

A Killer Croc - My Cayman GT4 Ownership Journal

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 07:48 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Accel Junky
I agree, not impressed with the M2 interior. Doesn't look special. For not much more you can buy an F80 M3 which I would do.
Also don't forget to check the weight on that little porker M2. The M3 sedan is
Old 12-02-2015, 05:18 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I got to sit in the LWBs today. Without a doubt they fit my body type much better (5'10, 190lbs, athletic build). With the power adjustment I was able to get the backrest at an acceptable level that wasn't too far upright or too far back.

The cobra-head shape of the upper seat-back bolsters is significantly wider than the sport seats and my shoulders fit IN the seat instead of ON TOP of the seat.

I'm feeling really damn good about the opportunity to order another GT4 with the LWBs...just wish they were available the first time (or if I was more patient) so I didn't have to go through the selling and re-buying process.

My only major gripe with the car after switching to these seats will be the gearing but I think that will eventually be worked out in the aftermarket and until then the standard bolt-on power mods might mask it a little.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:00 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 561 Likes on 276 Posts

5'10, 190lbs, athletic build
That would give you a BMI of 27 which means you must lift br0
Old 12-02-2015, 10:11 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by user1029
That would give you a BMI of 27 which means you must lift br0
My part time side-job kind of necessitates it
Old 12-04-2015, 09:41 AM
Porsche GT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't get me wrong...the GT4 sounds amazing, looks amazing, etc... but for some reason I haven't fallen in love with it. I've owned so many cars I kind of know the feeling know when a car is "meant to be" at least for me.
I had that feeling with my Steel Grey S54 Z3 Mcoupe - what a machine - should have never sold it Hoping that the GT4 will fill the void, my 997 GTS was a great car but still not the same "hairs on the back of your neck" when you hit the Redline in the "Breadvan" ...
Old 12-04-2015, 01:00 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche GT
I had that feeling with my Steel Grey S54 Z3 Mcoupe - what a machine - should have never sold it Hoping that the GT4 will fill the void, my 997 GTS was a great car but still not the same "hairs on the back of your neck" when you hit the Redline in the "Breadvan" ...
I'm exactly the same. I had a 2002 M Coupe and sold it because my payment was over a third of my monthly income at the time. I thought I had to start saving money. Well right after I sold it I got a giant raise / promotion which would have made the car definitely affordable. I've been on the hunt for that "feeling" for many years.

I've had Audi S4 (B6), RS4, TTRS, E90 M3 (6mt and DCT), R56 MINI, R58 JCW MINI. The car I love the most out of those was my R56. Great car. Crap engine though. That is what led to its sale.

The GT4 is the first car that has made me feel excited about ownership and driving. The sound, looks and handling just aren't like anything I've owned. Also it probably helps the GT4 is a milestone car for me too since I've never owned a Porsche.

This car I believe was BMW at its best. Never will be anything like it again. I had the two tone interior too. I considered buying one but you can only find these cars with "mods" which in most cases are in poor taste. Most of these cars are also thrashed from when they were still depreciating. The stocker garage queens are now selling way over MSRP.

Name:  photo48.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  217.6 KB
Old 12-05-2015, 01:35 AM
anselmw
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911

This car I believe was BMW at its best. Never will be anything like it again. I had the two tone interior too. I considered buying one but you can only find these cars with "mods" which in most cases are in poor taste. Most of these cars are also thrashed from when they were still depreciating. The stocker garage queens are now selling way over MSRP.

Attachment 997681
I can't bear to sell my M coupe either as it just has a such a raw feeling driving it. Here she is under a cover above my just delivered GT4.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:26 AM
Porsche GT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just so much miss this car ... Its now worth double what i sold it for ...
Old 12-06-2015, 04:59 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

New plate came in... I'll probably transfer this one to the new GT4 unless I come up with something better in the meantime.

Name:  16FAC6C8-9120-40E7-9329-31CBFC1B70ED_zpso2rf9zf1.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  199.7 KB
Old 12-06-2015, 09:16 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 189 Posts

^^ Love it.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:34 PM
Asiandude66
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by anselmw
I can't bear to sell my M coupe either as it just has a such a raw feeling driving it. Here she is under a cover above my just delivered GT4.

What year and color combo is your M Coupe?
I have a '02 Estoril Blue with Blue/Black interior, bone stock in mint condition. Would never sell it either
My initial Gt4 build was RY, but now is SBM...another blue car for me it seems...
Wish I am brave enough to get a yellow car
Old 12-06-2015, 10:01 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 200 Posts

Sold my 2000 M Coupe. What a mistake. My favorite car of all time.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:02 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

I haven't sold my Z4 M coupe yet and after driving it back to back with the GT4 its going to be tough to let it go. No doubt the GT4 is a whole other level above and beyond the Z4m in engineering, capability, and refinement but the old car is the more raw and connected experience. I'll miss the super fast more communicative hydraulic steering the most....
Old 12-17-2015, 11:18 AM
anselmw
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Asiandude66
What year and color combo is your M Coupe?
I have a '02 Estoril Blue with Blue/Black interior, bone stock in mint condition. Would never sell it either
My initial Gt4 build was RY, but now is SBM...another blue car for me it seems...
Wish I am brave enough to get a yellow car
Mine is black sapphire on black but wish I could have had a laguna seca blue or Phoenix yellow one.

I want PTS but too much risk of losing the LWB's or spot so passed otherwise it would have been green!

Any more updates from accel Junky, just love the garage and cars!
Old 12-17-2015, 12:38 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by anselmw
Any more updates from accel Junky, just love the garage and cars!
Latest is my YMB M3 is sold and gone.

My GT4 is going away on Monday to the new owner.

I've put a deposit down and spec'd my new GT4 order as follows:

Agate Grey Metallic
Leather Interior, Black (Stitching in Guards Red)
Extended Range Fuel Tank, 16.91 gal
Smoking Package
Deviated Stitching i.c.w. Leather Interior
Wing Supports in Black
Carbon Fiber Interior Package i.c.w. Leather Interior
Full Bucket Seats
Wheels Painted in Satin Black
Center Console Trim in Carbon Fiber
Seat Belts in Guards Red

It doesn't freeze until March 22 for late June US arrival so I've got some time to change my mind. I'm struggling on the color. I love the Sapphire Blue of my existing GT4 but I kind of feel like changing it up for the sake of change. I'm also on the fence regarding the PCCBs. I was disappointed with the weight of the car compared to the advertised curb weight so I'm tempted to get the PCCBs this time to get closer to that sub-3000lb weight we all thought it would be. However, the PCCBs are so expensive with minor benefits and I really don't care for the yellow especially if I'm doing red stitching. I guess I could always get them painted red. Due to various commitments I only have time to do 3-4 track days per year right now for the foreseeable future so I think the PCCBs would last for me. Also the reduction of dust on the street would be a nice benefit. But for the money...just hard to justify. If I did add the PCCBs I might have to drop most of the cosmetic options to lessen the blow but I feel like the leather/alcantara makes the interior special as it should be.

I had a chance to sit in the LWBs and I was very pleased with how comfortable they were for my build/shape compared to the very narrow 2 ways. I think this whole exercise will be worth it just for the seat change.

Quick Reply: A Killer Croc - My Cayman GT4 Ownership Journal