Sponsored by: APR

GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 07:49 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I knew that posting that photo would start a bit of a fire! Maybe we should start offering piston, valve and head cleaning services?
Oh,I've already started " a fire " with that pic on the GT3 forum,I hope you don't mind. I am aware that Porsche has not had carbon buildup issues so far,but seeing that pic at 2200 miles is not encouraging.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:02 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

I have to say that I'm really disappointed that you did that and essentially put it on blast all over Rennlist. That will therefore be the last photo posted in this thread of anything internal on the motor. For future reference I would appreciate being notified by anyone who is about to do something like that with a photo I took. It's my own fault for even posting the photo in the first place. Take care!
I'm really sorry,that wasn't my intention. I have always had concerns with DFI engines and carbon buildup. I will remove the photo.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:09 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I'm really sorry,that wasn't my intention. I have always had concerns with DFI engines and carbon buildup. I will remove the photo.
I know you're trying to learn and we are all concerned about the large investment that cars like these are but I'm very very cautious about blowback in regards to something like this. If it helps to ease your concerns this car was started and moved 15 times maybe before the motor was pulled. The shop is crowded and I hadn't driven the car in 3 weeks and it got fired up, moved out and moved into the shop no less than a dozen times, all on the warmup map never seeing any load whatsoever. If you want you can add that intel over on the other thread.

I have survived for a while now and life hasn't been hard because I respect the Porsche product and never want to be seen as condemning it unless there was proven cause for concern. The bullseye on my back can already be seen from Stuttgart. Follow?
Old 02-04-2016, 08:17 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

I know you're trying to learn and we are all concerned about the large investment that cars like these are but I'm very very cautious about blowback in regards to something like this. I have survived for a while now and life hasn't been hard because I respect the Porsche product and never want to be seen as condemning it unless there was proven cause for concern. The bullseye on my back can already be seen from Stuttgart. Follow?
You are absolutely correct and I apologize. I have removed the photo and will edit the post so that it doesn't mention your name.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:35 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

I remember all this drama when the 987.2 DFI came out in 2009 (I still got a 2010 DFI). Well since then I have never heard of any problems with carbon or soot build up. Only a lot of noise on the forums.

Anyway, there is a perfect solution to this.
You just go to the track for a day and drive like crazy, redline it and get it hot. Even better with race gas 103-105 RON. Then check your exhaust internals. All that muck will be burnt and gone. No drama.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:43 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

John@BGB,
I sincerely wish & hope that you will not stop providing valuable insight because of one individuals quest for drama. Myself and many many others who are avid gear-heads, very much appreciate all your leg work and willingness to share with this small community.
The rare shops such as yours, bring integrity back to this game... You are very much appreciated, even thousands of km's across the border and I hope to eventually have the pleasure of meeting and working with you to build my dream setup.

Best.
R
Old 02-04-2016, 09:54 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RealityGT
John@BGB,
I sincerely wish & hope that you will not stop providing valuable insight because of one individuals quest for drama. Myself and many many others who are avid gear-heads, very much appreciate all your leg work and willingness to share with this small community.
The rare shops such as yours, bring integrity back to this game... You are very much appreciated, even thousands of km's across the border and I hope to eventually have the pleasure of meeting and working with you to build my dream setup.

Best.
R
Thank you for the kind words; I am not going anywhere. I just needed to make sure that nothing gets too out of hand. You guys are great supporters and i need Rennlist for business reasons so i am not going anywhere, rest assured.

Originally Posted by neanicu
You are absolutely correct and I apologize. I have removed the photo and will edit the post so that it doesn't mention your name.
You are fine...thank you very much for following up with me both here and offline. It's amazing what can be sorted when two adults have a conversation. We're good bud! P.S. I was not over-exaggerating how many cold starts this car has seen and it was probably more than any other GT4 worldwide. I'm probably the only kid not playing with his new toy and it had been almost a month since i drove the car more than 20 yards.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:17 AM
Ochocoronas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad I only live 1hr 12mins 33sec away from you guys ! I would like to place my name and deposit on the list for a test drive/ride!
Old 02-04-2016, 10:33 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ochocoronas
Glad I only live 1hr 12mins 33sec away from you guys ! I would like to place my name and deposit on the list for a test drive/ride!
As one of only 12 people to attend our GT4 open house, you're already in the queue!
Old 02-04-2016, 11:51 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

John@BGB,

The rare shops such as yours, bring integrity back to this game... You are very much appreciated, even thousands of km's across the border
very well put, thanks RGT
Old 02-04-2016, 01:09 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

John@BGB,
I sincerely wish & hope that you will not stop providing valuable insight ... Myself and many many others who are avid gear-heads, very much appreciate all your leg work and willingness to share with this small community.

Best.
R
This X 1,000. As I've said before, I'm a bit of a wuss and won't be doing much, if anything, to my GT4 until its out of warranty but I view what John (and a few others) are doing as HUGELY beneficial to all of us. I don't know John, don't have any connection to him, but I'm just guessing this also his livelihood. Let's all take a moment to reflect on that.

Thank you for doing what you do John. I hope you'll continue.

Christian
Old 02-04-2016, 01:41 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
This X 1,000. As I've said before, I'm a bit of a wuss and won't be doing much, if anything, to my GT4 until its out of warranty but I view what John (and a few others) are doing as HUGELY beneficial to all of us. I don't know John, don't have any connection to him, but I'm just guessing this also his livelihood. Let's all take a moment to reflect on that. Thank you for doing what you do John. I hope you'll continue. Christian
Folks, I'm not going anywhere. I tend to get flustered at times but Rennlist is a big revenue generator for us and I give back to the community for the leads it generates. I was once like you all when I worked in a cube and wondered who in this industry cares and who just wanted my $. Im taking the longer road but I'm doing it for the aforementioned reasons. These projects are all just ways for me to keep my business at the pointy end of the curve. Thanks for all the complimentary words. You guys are stuck with me for the indefinite future no matter how many comments incite a "Ginger Snap!"
Old 02-04-2016, 02:13 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

I didn't think posting a pic of an engine with potential carbon build up reflected on BGB or Porsche at all! The carbon buildup with DFI engines is well documented across brands, some more than others. I love this forum for how respectful it is of everybody, but sometimes the sensitivity/pd level gets a little extreme. Reputations aren't made and broken in a day, especially when vendors like this have such an incredible arbitration built up over so long. I think that picture was very useful and I hope we maintain the same level of openness and dialogue
Old 02-04-2016, 02:29 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I didn't think posting a pic of an engine with potential carbon build up reflected on BGB or Porsche at all! The carbon buildup with DFI engines is well documented across brands, some more than others. I love this forum for how respectful it is of everybody, but sometimes the sensitivity/pd level gets a little extreme. Reputations aren't made and broken in a day, especially when vendors like this have such an incredible arbitration built up over so long. I think that picture was very useful and I hope we maintain the same level of openness and dialogue
Alex,while I agree with you here and on the other thread,it is my responsibility to make it clear that the carbon buildup is my opinion and my opinion alone,without involving any other parties. It was certainly unfair of me to use information that did not belong to me. In this day and age,there is plenty of information on the Internet that I could've used and wouldn't care,but I have the utmost respect for BGB and their efforts,so there was no question in my mind it was the right thing to do removing it.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:50 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

The easiest way to clean the intake/induction side of these DFI engines is to use something like the BG induction cleaner system, where you simply spray the cleaner into the throttle body, thus cleaning the entire intake manifold and top side of valves, etc. etc.

Then use a similar cleaner in the fuel tank side for cleaning of the remainder of the system.

Plenty of DIY youtube videos where guys buy a cheap boroscope to fully validate the cleaning.

I think things like manual cleaning can be avoided with a little maintenance like this, and are simply part of the requirement for long-term "high" performance (not reliability) of these DFI engines.

If I keep the GT4 long term, I would certainly give it some chemical treatment on the intake side, such as the BG apparatus, to clean things up.

No big deal to be honest. Would I much prefer an additional port injector? Yes. Perhaps Porsche will offer those in the .2's....LOL.

Quick Reply: GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!