Sponsored by: APR

GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 09:31 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
The new SDI Siemens 9.1 firmware has the most advanced encryption on the market; this is what is in every 981/991 built after mid-2012. My guys in Germany were some of the first folks to get in there. Other tuners had also claimed that they had gotten passed it but their tunes were never quantified. Since then, more tuners, including my 987.2/997.2 partners have claimed to have gotten around it or are already around it. There are reports on other forums of other top tuning companies now inside the 981 with a flash available via OBD.

The problem is that if you don't encrypt your file, anyone who plugs into a car with your file can suck it out and reverse engineer it. It's for this reason that they went the cloned ECU route because they have gotten around it and are deep in it but don't want anyone to have access to that information.

As for the turbo platforms in the 991.2 and 981.2, I asked, they're already in there! I am waiting for someone with a 981.2 that wants a 991.2 motor swap and flash!
Out of curiosity - have you ever looked into supercharging on these platforms? Swapping out engines seems like major surgery in comparison. Is supercharging viable?
Old 10-27-2015, 10:10 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Out of curiosity - have you ever looked into supercharging on these platforms? Swapping out engines seems like major surgery in comparison. Is supercharging viable?
I suspect there might be a real estate issue.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:24 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by straight-road
Almost 10K for additional 30 horses and 15 lb gain. The return of investment ratio is abysmal plus the future problem with warranty being voided. This tells me that very likely Porsche Motorsport did not really leave much on the table before giving us the car. In all honesty, I would rather invest something like a front lift and ways to fix the understeering issue, than a mere 30 horses gain for a freaking ten thousand dollars and voiding the warranty.
Love how you're trying to quantify 'return on investment' for a concept that is strictly subjective. How people derive enjoyment from modification is solely down to the individual. What are you going to say next; buying a Cayman GT4 is an 'abysmal ROI' compared to a Z06 because it's slower?
Old 10-28-2015, 03:04 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by maroli
Love how you're trying to quantify 'return on investment' for a concept that is strictly subjective. How people derive enjoyment from modification is solely down to the individual. What are you going to say next; buying a Cayman GT4 is an 'abysmal ROI' compared to a Z06 because it's slower?
This.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:06 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
At one point there was a supercharger kit out for the 997.1. Given that we started life as an endurance racing team, we have always done the naturally aspirated thing, especially considering the climates in which our customers run. It's 85F - 90F on track for all but 4 months of the year. From May - October temps inside the cockpit on track in Florida range from 120F to 150F in our club racing cars. The poor mid-engine Cayman struggles for heat dissipation from the engine bay and the ability to flush hot air out of its engine bay is not near what it is for the 911; a front engine, traditional style engine bay would provide the most engine bay cooling so the Cayman ranks 3rd being mid-engine. Space in the engine bay is at a premium for adding a blower and the DFI motors are 12.5:1 compression motors from the factory, so we just have always favored using bolt-on modifications and really only going into the engine for porting, valve work and more compression ONLY. We bolt on power mods like ECU flashes, intake kits, filters, manifolds, flywheels, mufflers and raise the RPM to try and exceed horsepower at the wheels advertised at the crank by the factory. The only difference between the Stage I 981 package and race trim is the DFI underdrive pulley kit we designed for RSS, high-flow race mufflers and race gas. If you wanted to make 390rwhp in a GT4, that's what you would need. In race trim with a set of Power Kit X51 heads, i think the car would exceed 450 crank HP.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:14 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

I wondered about heat dissipation as well, since the Cayman in stock form has little rear venting. Seems like in a situation like that, it would need Ferrari style "challenge" rear grills to take advantage of the low pressure area and suck all that hot air out. In the Lotus world, the rear panel above the diffuser is removed for this very reason.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:58 AM
cosmocrip
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You beat me to it! Thanks for posting the You Tube video. Now for the long awaited dyno results:

STOCK GT4 ON THE MAHA DYNO MAKING 386 HP & 307 LB/FT @ THE CRANK:

STAGE 1 GT4 ON THE MAHA DYNO MAKING 414 HP & 335 LB/FT @ THE CRANK:

STAGE 1 GT4 WITH RACE HEADERS ON THE MAHA DYNO MAKING 431 HP & 338 LB/FT @ THE CRANK:

STAGE 1 INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING:

- High Flow Air Filters
- 991 82mm Throttle Body & Upgraded 82mm Plenum
- Cargraphic Stainless Steel Longtube Manifolds (WITH OR WITHOUT CATS - SEE NOTE)
- Ehresmann Engineering ECU Flash (PLEASE SPECIFY IF YOU ARE PURCHASING MANIFOLDS WITH OR WITHOUT CATS).

Thanks for following along.

John

P.S. Check out the impact to the torque curve at 6400 RPM between the race or street manifolds!
To make it simpler, could we say that this kit is the equivalent of the X51 from the Carrera S for the GT4 , in term or power and equipment?
Old 11-02-2015, 02:37 PM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

BGB, from you guys' experience, although rare, are there any common problems with the 991S engine? I would feel much more inclined to start modding if there are no common problems with the stock motor to begin with
Old 11-02-2015, 03:05 PM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmocrip
To make it simpler, could we say that this kit is the equivalent of the X51 from the Carrera S for the GT4 , in term or power and equipment?
From a performance output perspective (maybe even just peak power), there are some similarities in the numbers. HOWEVER, the X51 powerkit is a change in internal engine components as well as a new intake manifold to allow a 30HP increase whereas BGBs kit is not nearly as invasive and does it's magic through better breathing and ECU tuning. They will probably chime in with the correct answer.

I would guess that the similarity in components between the two packages is probably in just the 82mm throttle body.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:42 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

http://www.teambgb.com
I can't wait to get the GT4!
Old 11-02-2015, 04:51 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmocrip
I don't think we can. The X51 Power Kit is a set of ported cylinder heads, a different cam shaft and a very elaborate enormous aluminum intake manifold that has a flap in the center section but also flaps on the intake runners so that you can have a smaller intake runner under 5K RPM and a larger intake runner above 5K RPM. If i can speak freely, it was always my intention to do the Power Kit AND the Stage 1 upgrades along with the flywheel because my goal for this car is north of 450HP at the crank. I don't think we can say that they're the same because the Stage 1 kit is a flash, a set of headers, filters and the larger 82mm throttle that already exists on motors with the Power Kit / x51 package. I think you have to look at the Power Kit as a Stage II upgrade maybe?!?

Originally Posted by user1029
BGB, from you guys' experience, although rare, are there any common problems with the 991S engine? I would feel much more inclined to start modding if there are no common problems with the stock motor to begin with
I don't want to be on record comparing this motor to current GT motors that are in production cars but if you look at the new motor's track record you can make your own assumptions. The 9A1 platform in the 997.2s is near identical to what went into the 991 and the GT4. We race tested that motor through 24 hours of abuse on 33 degree banking at Daytona. the oil delivery used in the 9A1 motor is a night and day improvement over the previous generation engines. You really have a near perfect piece from the factory. That motor is about as bulletproof as can be and i would put it up against anything else out there. If you miss a shift, that's another story! Otherwise, you're good to go! I want to add that i would say that even if you weren't asking with the intention of buying our mods; if you owned a GT4 and swore to keep it stock, i would still give you the same hard sell on these motors and their reliability. They live in the shadows of the Mezgerphiles and it's a shame.

Originally Posted by Skeptikal12
From a performance output perspective (maybe even just peak power), there are some similarities in the numbers. HOWEVER, the X51 powerkit is a change in internal engine components as well as a new intake manifold to allow a 30HP increase whereas BGBs kit is not nearly as invasive and does it's magic through better breathing and ECU tuning. They will probably chime in with the correct answer. I would guess that the similarity in components between the two packages is probably in just the 82mm throttle body.
I think that this is a fair assessment. Ours is a kit of bolt-on mods and the Power Kit is a better breathing, better flowing, more power producing cyinder head, cam and intake upgrade.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
http://www.teambgb.com
I can't wait to get the GT4!
I know that i can't say that it took you long enough, because you're too big to fit in a 987 and had your 997s and 991s...but...IT TOOK YOU LONG ENOUGH!
Old 11-02-2015, 04:58 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

More power and torque will make me almost not care about the gearing. If we could just get more boogie from the tach needle from 3-5k the car would be just about perfect.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:37 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

I don't think we can. The X51 Power Kit is a set of ported cylinder heads, a different cam shaft and a very elaborate enormous aluminum intake manifold that has a flap in the center section but also flaps on the intake runners so that you can have a smaller intake runner under 5K RPM and a larger intake runner above 5K RPM. If i can speak freely, it was always my intention to do the Power Kit AND the Stage 1 upgrades along with the flywheel because my goal for this car is north of 450HP at the crank. I don't think we can say that they're the same because the Stage 1 kit is a flash, a set of headers, filters and the larger 82mm throttle that already exists on motors with the Power Kit / x51 package. I think you have to look at the Power Kit as a Stage II upgrade maybe?!?
Would Stage 1 and X51 be about $25K installed?
I'm familiar with the multi stage intake in my V10 S8, it fits better in a V.

Originally Posted by consolidated
More power and torque will make me almost not care about the gearing. If we could just get more boogie from the tach needle from 3-5k the car would be just about perfect.
This.

Last edited by d00d; 06-25-2021 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:42 PM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

I appreciate the input BGB
Old 11-02-2015, 10:21 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
It may initially - it's all relative, if you can get more acceleration from shorter gearing (within reason of not needing to make an extra shift to get to 65 or 70 mph.

Quick Reply: GT4 - Unlocking the Power Potential!