Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 06:27 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

But see, if you live in California like me, who cares? The only upside to our historic statewide drought is there’s never any rain. Leave the top dropped!

The new Spyder is quite the Frankenstein’s monster of Zuffenhausen.

The stereo, like the air-conditioning, is an option. And seeing as how both are no-cost options, I can’t imagine the masochist who would opt out of either.

But I am compelled to point out that the new Boxster just isn’t as sweet to drive as the previous generation, regardless of the specification.

The whole point of a manual transmission is the joy you get from shifting it. Porsche has once again made a Boxster that you don’t need to shift while tackling your favorite canyon road. It’s just weird. Are they making manual cars for people compelled to purchase standard transmissions out of some sort of faux machismo but who in reality don’t want to deal with actually rowing their own? I’d say the answer is more than maybe.

I don’t think the Spyder is much of a looker. The double bubble tonneau looks hefty and odd, while the slab sides make it look more like a paperweight than, say, the 718 RS60 Spyder that Porsche’s making a tenuous ancestral association to

Going with that theme, all the press materials rather shamelessly mention the original 550 Spyder (the car James Dean died in) and how the 2016 model is a direct descendent. But it’s not. Look, they removed the inside door handles and replaced them with fabric straps to ostensibly save weight, yet they left both vanity mirrors on the sun visors. How hardcore is the Boxster Spyder supposed to be? After all, it’s 2015. Historically we’ll look back at this year as the one right before autonomous cars took over. Does anyone actually want an extreme sports car? Honestly? Porsche’s stating no, not really.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/new_cars/0...#ixzz3gkhFZ1Cf

But I agree it is a positive review.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:14 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts
Default 981 Spyder!!!!

I am interested in getting this car... This whole long gearing thing is mildly upsetting, but I hope that since it's not normal to wind out a car on the road all the way.. That in real world use you can use gears 1-4. I'm trying to look at the positive side, I owned an e46 m3 and then an MCoupe with the same S54 engine... First few gears were VERY short, almost annoyingly so. We'll see... What I can say for sure is that I drove a boxster S and it felt positively gutless.. So, hopefully this bigger engine's greater torque will make up for that long gearing
Old 07-23-2015, 07:26 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

on my 987 Spyder, I was one of those masochists who opted out of the radio and my wife reminds me of it every time we're in the car...."now, tell me why we didn't get a radio?"

but frankly (monsterly?) I don't miss the radio and I'm glad I didn't get it, kinda old fashioned, unique? I know, my wife will never understand!

almost ditched the a/c but it's 100 degrees in Texas today so it does come in handy

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais

The new Spyder is quite the Frankenstein’s monster of Zuffenhausen.

The stereo, like the air-conditioning, is an option. And seeing as how both are no-cost options, I can’t imagine the masochist who would opt out of either.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:06 PM
weneversleep
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm wondering about this "tall gearing" issue myself. Does the 981 Spyder use the same gear ratios as the normal Boxster/Boxster S? Is this really going to be much of an issue in the real world?
Old 07-23-2015, 09:47 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Personally, I love manuals of all types. I learned on a truck with a column shift 3 speed. I don't mind long gears and I don't think manuals are about flipping though gears every two seconds; manuals are about being in control of the power and I appreciate what sounds like multiple gears with long power bands. Still very excited and I bet I will see use 3rd and 2nd on my favorite and familiar canyon roads.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:04 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
http://www.motortrend.com/new_cars/04/porsche/boxster/

This review is strange. Weird undercurrent of paranoia and cynicism. Seems like he does not appreciate Porsches or is skeptical of their merits. He says a lot of great things but then he ends uninterested in the car while admonishing us to get sunscreen for the impending ecological disaster. Credit is due because he really does write a lot of clear prose and opinions.
I didn't get that at all. I think it was an honest review and he loved it. He pointed out flaws that frankly anyone that is spending 100k for one will take exception to ( I would) but they're his opinion. Well written and honest, all one can ask for. Besides he pointed out what has been stated on this very forum, how lightweight is this when you have dual vanity mirrors...hahahaha
Old 07-24-2015, 01:11 PM
Sportwagen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weneversleep
I'm wondering about this "tall gearing" issue myself. Does the 981 Spyder use the same gear ratios as the normal Boxster/Boxster S? Is this really going to be much of an issue in the real world?
I’m pretty sure the Spyder uses the same gearing as the GT4, GTS, and S. But the base model gearing is shorter, which makes a nice combo with the 3.8.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:12 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,697 Likes on 934 Posts

Old 07-30-2015, 08:44 AM
550.spyder
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts
Smile SPYDER OWNERS CLUB

@ ALL:

Hello again from Germany.

Most of you may already have noticed that a "Spyder Owners Club" has been founded in Germany.
Deriving from a group of Spyder Owners who started a Thread in the PFF Forum in Germany, the Group has now evolved into a club of 65 !!! Spyder Owners at present.

We started a Website with facts, pictures and all content that's related to the Spyder.

Be our guests and visit our Site:

http://www.spyder-owners.com

For those of you who are "Spyder Owners" - or soon to be "Spyder Owners", you're welcome to join the Club.

It's free of charge - no entry fee or subscription - so come and join !

Two meetings in Germany have already been held and most of the Pics of these events have already been posted here. If you want to see more content - join the club. There's a Members-Section with more content that is constantly growing. We even already have a shop for members running, where you can buy your personalized SOC (Spyder Owners Club) Shirt. You'll also find information of the next meetings to come. More benefits coming up !

If you have questions regarding the Spyder like upcoming options for personalization from the Porsche Exclusive department, feel free to ask us. We know most of the details.

Don't be afraid of the language. We all speak English and if you ask a question you'll receive the answer in english.

To join the club you simply have to post you "coming out" @ the PFF Forum in the Spyder Owners Thread:

http://www.pff.de/porsche/board104-p...sitzer-thread/

Just leave your name, the first 2 digits of your zip code, your Country, your Porsche Code - so everyone gets an idea of your configuration - your assigned slot for delivery (allocation) and if you like, more details regarding yourself and your interests.

You'll be registered and will receive full access to the members area including the shop. All free of charge !

We're planing to gather as many Spyder Owners as possible. Austrian-, Swiss-Owners and even one Owner from Finland already joined us. We even have contacts to the Porsche press department and are about to receive direct support from Porsche.

Planning to free all 400 horses of the Carrera S engine? We're already working on a solution. Just ask.

Enough said. Now it's up to you to join us:

Spyder Regards Tom (aka 550.spyder)

PS: We're open to 987, 918, 718 and all other official Porsche Spyder as well
Attached Images  

Last edited by 550.spyder; 07-30-2015 at 08:47 AM. Reason: mistyped
Old 07-30-2015, 09:00 AM
550.spyder
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts
Default SOC Shirt

Check out the SOC Shirt:

regards Tom
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2015, 03:18 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by 550.spyder
@ ALL:

Most of you may already have noticed that a "Spyder Owners Club" has been founded in Germany.
Deriving from a group of Spyder Owners who started a Thread in the PFF Forum in Germany, the Group has now evolved into a club of 65 !!! Spyder Owners at present.

We started a Website with facts, pictures and all content that's related to the Spyder.

For those of you who are "Spyder Owners" - or soon to be "Spyder Owners", you're welcome to join the Club.

Two meetings in Germany have already been held and most of the Pics of these events have already been posted here. If you want to see more content - join the club. There's a Members-Section with more content that is constantly growing. We even already have a shop for members running, where you can buy your personalized SOC (Spyder Owners Club) Shirt. You'll also find information of the next meetings to come. More benefits coming up !

If you have questions regarding the Spyder like upcoming options for personalization from the Porsche Exclusive department, feel free to ask us. We know most of the details.

Don't be afraid of the language. We all speak English and if you ask a question you'll receive the answer in english.

To join the club you simply have to post you "coming out" @ the PFF Forum in the Spyder Owners Thread:

Just leave your name, the first 2 digits of your zip code, your Country, your Porsche Code - so everyone gets an idea of your configuration - your assigned slot for delivery (allocation) and if you like, more details regarding yourself and your interests.

You'll be registered and will receive full access to the members area including the shop. All free of charge !

We're planing to gather as many Spyder Owners as possible. Austrian-, Swiss-Owners and even one Owner from Finland already joined us. We even have contacts to the Porsche press department and are about to receive direct support from Porsche.

Planning to free all 400 horses of the Carrera S engine? We're already working on a solution. Just ask.

Enough said. Now it's up to you to join us:

Spyder Regards Tom (aka 550.spyder)

PS: We're open to 987, 918, 718 and all other official Porsche Spyder as well
very interested in how you are going to open up the full 400hp... ! can you discuss further?
Old 07-30-2015, 04:50 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 601 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
very interested in how you are going to open up the full 400hp... ! can you discuss further?
CAlexio - I'm almost 99% that our partner that does our ECUs is the one doing the tuning for this group in Europe. And I highly doubt anyone is going to divulge how it's done because I have been sworn to secrecy by these folks! Obviously it's available but the recipe for the secret sauce is under lock and key!
Old 07-30-2015, 07:29 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
CAlexio - I'm almost 99% that our partner that does our ECUs is the one doing the tuning for this group in Europe. And I highly doubt anyone is going to divulge how it's done because I have been sworn to secrecy by these folks! Obviously it's available but the recipe for the secret sauce is under lock and key!
got it.. maybe i hadn't been following along carefully.. didn't realize and ECU remap could add so much power.. must mean that the power was artificially limited for market positioning reasons huh? a reviewer in an article mentioned that at the top end the gt4 wasn't quite as responsive as a carrera S... was he on to something then?

very cool that you are party to this.. sounds like a lot of people with the gt4 and spyder cars will be coming to you for assistance.. can't imagine leaving 20-30hp on the table when they rightfully belong in that car.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:47 AM
9650max
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thirty minutes to put the top on a 987 Spyder according to the Motortrend reviewer? Maybe blindfolded in a hurricane with one hand tied behind your back. My wife does it in a couple of minutes by herself and looks great doing it.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:00 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 550.spyder
@ ALL:

Will you be running an English forum too on that site?

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!