Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 01:15 PM
Sportwagen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The more I look at the real world pictures of the Spyder, the less I like it, especially the front bumper.
Yeah, between the top and the front bumper, it looks a little fussy. Especially in lighter colors, the black "skirt" on the bottom of the front bumper makes it look like a badly fitted body kit because it looks like it doesn't line up with the bottom of the side skirts ...
Old 06-09-2015, 02:04 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,867 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportwagen
Yeah, between the top and the front bumper, it looks a little fussy. Especially in lighter colors, the black "skirt" on the bottom of the front bumper makes it look like a badly fitted body kit because it looks like it doesn't line up with the bottom of the side skirts ...
For me the way the top of the middle air vent sticks out makes the bumper look like a fish out of water sucking for oxygen, especially in that white pic. Just does not fit with the rest of the car IMO. I think Porsche did a great job of photographing this car from it's most favorable angles in all its marketing materials. Real life pictures from all angles expose some of the odd styling elements.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:56 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 354 Posts

For me Porsche's have been all about the driving experience. The cosmetics, while important are secondary. Personally I think the car looks great, and am sure it will look better in person. However after driving Porsche 911's, for 30 years, (first one in my mid 20's) and mid engine Porsche's for the last 6 or 8 years, I am really looking forward to having 375 hp in a Porsche mid engine platform! If only Boxzilla, my track car, was so well powered!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:24 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,684 Likes on 924 Posts

The 981 is no different than the 987... Actually think the 987 is worse. Doesn't bother me at all (987 and 981).
Old 06-09-2015, 10:50 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,684 Likes on 924 Posts

Black on Black! Press driving event should be soon.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:20 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I was at the Porsche HQ last Friday. I got to spend some time with it, i didn't have the keys though. I like 987 Spyder better I think.

The one thing that stood out the most was the lower bolster on the driver seat was worn bad.
Attached Images    
Old 06-10-2015, 04:29 PM
GTautoDesign
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 66mustang
The one thing that stood out the most was the lower bolster on the driver seat was worn bad.
Well good thing we won't have to worry about that now that LWBs are perma-banned from the Spyder
Old 06-10-2015, 05:43 PM
jwade
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I can see where the side bolsters of the lightweights could get worn very quickly... Drove a buddies new GT3 the other day with them. They sure keep you planted...

Unfortunately, that was a seriously miscalculated deal on Porsches part for not letting Lear Corp. know the demand for LWB's would be so high... Very cool seats, but totally flubbed a dub there! Wouldn't order a Spyder without them...

But, I do applaud the efforts of Porsche for stocking that chassis with a 3.8. Too bad they forgot to add PDK to the option list.

I own a fully optioned '13 S PDK since fall of '12 and am very happy with it. Regardless of transmission, I probably would have pulled the trigger on the Spyder if it carried the GT4 PCCB's, wheels and GT3 front suspension over...
Old 06-10-2015, 06:40 PM
Sportwagen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by navanoD
The 981 is no different than the 987... Actually think the 987 is worse. Doesn't bother me at all (987 and 981).
You are right, although it is not the best aspect of the 987 either ... Maybe the stripe on the 987 helps the eye a bit...

Old 06-11-2015, 01:49 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

You are right, although it is not the best aspect of the 987 either ... Maybe the stripe on the 987 helps the eye a bit...

What side skirts?
Old 06-12-2015, 11:30 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Man, the 981 Spyder's front end is ugly.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:00 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by jwade

I own a fully optioned '13 S PDK since fall of '12 and am very happy with it. Regardless of transmission, I probably would have pulled the trigger on the Spyder if it carried the GT4 PCCB's, wheels and GT3 front suspension over...
Having not tested either gt3 in anger, or an x73 suspended boxster, I'm curious how different the two suspensions feel for everything but the most extreme handling situations? Why would the Spyder need the gt4 suspension?.. Isn't adjustability the only tangible advantage? And on a car which ostensibly is not made for the track, and is open topped... Isn't the x73 suspension the Spyder comes with a perfectly matched option? Everything doesn't have to be turned up to level 10 on a car does it?.. Sometimes a well matches chassis and purpose can make for a much better ownership experience in my opinion.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:38 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by jwade
I can see where the side bolsters of the lightweights could get worn very quickly... Drove a buddies new GT3 the other day with them. They sure keep you planted...

Unfortunately, that was a seriously miscalculated deal on Porsches part for not letting Lear Corp. know the demand for LWB's would be so high... Very cool seats, but totally flubbed a dub there! Wouldn't order a Spyder without them...

But, I do applaud the efforts of Porsche for stocking that chassis with a 3.8. Too bad they forgot to add PDK to the option list.

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Having not tested either gt3 in anger, or an x73 suspended boxster, I'm curious how different the two suspensions feel for everything but the most extreme handling situations? Why would the Spyder need the gt4 suspension?.. Isn't adjustability the only tangible advantage? And on a car which ostensibly is not made for the track, and is open topped... Isn't the x73 suspension the Spyder comes with a perfectly matched option? Everything doesn't have to be turned up to level 10 on a car does it?.. Sometimes a well matches chassis and purpose can make for a much better ownership experience in my opinion.
The funny thing is a lot of people think they need LWB, PCCB, different wheels, adjustable suspension etc. Some of this is for looks which is okay, it's your money. But it is a rare driver where all of these will make that much of a difference. On the track most serious drivers go for iron rotors, the PCCB do not have a good history of holding up. At the Porsche Sports Driving School NONE of the cars used for laps had LWB or PCCB and EVERY driver was getting pushed near their limits as is.

Porsche does not get everything right but they understood that a higher percentage of GT4 buyers would be serious track drivers versus Spyder buyers. Having an adjustable front end for a street car is pretty worthless if the setup from the factory is very good. I have yet to read a review of a Boxster with X73 not getting great comments on it's handling.

Your right Calexio.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:25 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I wholeheartedly agree that having a car configured for 10/10th's type driving does not equate to the best driving experience. Your last sentence sums it up nicely when it comes to the Spyder.

As far as LWB's, personally I find the seats enhance the overall driving experience significantly. They offer a better connection with what the chassis is doing while still maintaining driver comfort. The only drawback for me is getting in/out of them.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:31 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
The funny thing is a lot of people think they need LWB, PCCB, different wheels, adjustable suspension etc. Some of this is for looks which is okay, it's your money. But it is a rare driver where all of these will make that much of a difference. On the track most serious drivers go for iron rotors, the PCCB do not have a good history of holding up. At the Porsche Sports Driving School NONE of the cars used for laps had LWB or PCCB and EVERY driver was getting pushed near their limits as is.

Porsche does not get everything right but they understood that a higher percentage of GT4 buyers would be serious track drivers versus Spyder buyers. Having an adjustable front end for a street car is pretty worthless if the setup from the factory is very good. I have yet to read a review of a Boxster with X73 not getting great comments on it's handling.

Your right Calexio.
I agree with everything you wrote.

That said and as a former Cayman owner it is interesting that all the initial reports from GT4's being delivered the car is performing very well on the....street. So this whole track orientation and suffering albeit that is a subjective word for street use seems to be exaggerated.

If that is the case why not give the Spyder the same everything? Of course I agree with everyone that says the Spyder is a weird car in 981 form anyway because if weight were really a priority was is the available options to make it as heavy as a GTS or S even to be had.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!