Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 08:04 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Having just bought a Spyder I can quite understand how one would never wish to be without one. Mine is a second car and I planned to keep it at my place in the country, but it might end up moving to town...
Old 06-23-2016, 10:59 AM
GTS Daddy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
You need its MSRP to have a reference.
Good point, I'll do some research and post.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:17 AM
dpod4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took delivery of second Spyder today. Best car ever.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:47 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts

2 Spyders is not too many.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:11 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Suitcase
2 Spyders is not too many.
Seriously, I buy all my cars in pairs
Old 07-05-2016, 10:15 AM
Suitcase
Racer

Default 2 Spyders or a GT4?

More seriously.....

After 50 cars, many RSs' and 959 my favorite car is my Polar Silver '94 964 Speedster. It is everything a Porsche should be. I picked it up in Zuffenhausen in Sept. '93 and remains with me to this day. I liked the car so much I purchased another with 400 miles on it a few years later. In those days the value of the cars, especially Speedsters, was not very high. I didn't buy the second car to collect and appreciate. I wanted it so that I someday 25 years down the road I could have the have the pleasure of driving a "new" one. It was also my "back up" should some catastrophe befell the Polar Silver car.

In 2010 I was forced to sell the 2nd Speedster. It still had under 1000 miles.
I have heard that the collector that purchased it has left it with under 1000 miles as well. It remains the only car I'm sorry I sold.

The Boxster Spyder is the true incarnation of the the 964 Speedster. It's light, fast, fun and the top works. What's even crazier is the same gentleman at the factory who delivered my '94 also delivered my Rhodium Silver 981 car this past April. I drove it 3500 miles in Europe and it's on its way here now. I really love it.

I like that car so much I bought another which remains in the wrapper. I also have a GT4 on the water. I will only keep 2 of the "small" cars. Any thoughts?
Old 07-05-2016, 10:26 AM
NYC123
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

More seriously.....

After 50 cars, many RSs' and 959 my favorite car is my Polar Silver '94 964 Speedster. It is everything a Porsche should be. I picked it up in Zuffenhausen in Sept. '93 and remains with me to this day. I liked the car so much I purchased another with 400 miles on it a few years later. In those days the value of the cars, especially Speedsters, was not very high. I didn't buy the second car to collect and appreciate. I wanted it so that I someday 25 years down the road I could have the have the pleasure of driving a "new" one. It was also my "back up" should some catastrophe befell the Polar Silver car.

I have heard that the collector that purchased it has left it with under 1000 miles as well. It remains the only car I'm sorry I sold.

The Boxster Spyder is the true incarnation of the the 964 Speedster. It's light, fast, fun and the top works. What's even crazier is the same gentleman at the factory who delivered my '94 also delivered my Rhodium Silver 981 car this past April. I drove it 3500 miles in Europe and it's on its way here now. I really love it.

I like that car so much I bought another which remains in the wrapper. I also have a GT4 on the water. I will only keep 2 of the "small" cars. Any thoughts?
having also owned the cars you mentioned and currently owning a spyder I 100% agree
Old 07-05-2016, 02:01 PM
dpod4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More seriously.....

You are hero status in my book.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:38 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Thank you. But I'm no hero. Like most of us on RL I just really love the cars. I wish I could keep all of them!
Old 07-05-2016, 04:50 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Yeah, Spyder is a big deal for a driving enthusiast. Just enough power (I would actually go bit less!) and right ingredients. I would rate it perfect if not for the dumb gearing! Porsche really should have made the lower three gears shorter. Man, what a treat that would have been!

Here is a thought: keep that second Spyder in wraps. Pickup the 981.2 Spyder in about three years and offload the used 981.1. After 981.2, the picture is murky, for GT4 and Spyder in terms of engine choice. At least for 981.2, we will have NA (my prediction).
Old 07-05-2016, 05:27 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Yeah, Spyder is a big deal for a driving enthusiast. Just enough power (I would actually go bit less!) and right ingredients. I would rate it perfect if not for the dumb gearing! Porsche really should have made the lower three gears shorter. Man, what a treat that would have been!
I agree somewhat. The best solution for the short gearing right now is to increase low end power. I'm going to go the whole 9 yards with the Fabspeed system. Then I guess it will be easier to use less of what I have than more of what I don't
Old 07-05-2016, 06:14 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I agree somewhat. The best solution for the short gearing right now is to increase low end power. I'm going to go the whole 9 yards with the Fabspeed system. Then I guess it will be easier to use less of what I have than more of what I don't
Hmm, interesting take, Dr. G! May not what I would take! :-) I see you are a big fan of the header mods you have done. How do they all impact the warranty? I get that if the mod doesn't contribute to the warranty issue, then the claim won't be disputed. But, is it a risk? And, you are now shifting less!
Old 07-05-2016, 06:52 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Hmm, interesting take, Dr. G! May not what I would take! :-) I see you are a big fan of the header mods you have done. How do they all impact the warranty? I get that if the mod doesn't contribute to the warranty issue, then the claim won't be disputed. But, is it a risk? And, you are now shifting less!
Headers are downstream from wngine... Spoke to dealer at length, they confirmed no issue with warranty. They actually do installs of aftermarket parts for their track customers and still maintain warranties. Until someone comes along with an egregious no-warranty coverage from Porsche, I think we can collectively relax about this issue
Old 07-05-2016, 09:30 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

Haven't done it yet - I'll let you know tomorrow. I'm doing the intake, 82mm throttle body, catted headers, filters and valvetronic exhaust at Fabspeed. I'll be there at 7:30am. Look for some photos and maybe a video or two in the next few days. Headers and exhaust shouldn't impact the warranty. I don't know about the intake, though. I do know that if running without a tune, the ECU needs to be adapted (not tuned) using the PIWIS tool. Porsche dealers can do this (if you're friendly with the service manager). A tune on top of the components can maximize the system as a whole, but that can become an issue if dealing with warranty claims. Everyone says that Porsche would need to prove that the tune caused the issue if something occurred. I'm not going there, but many believe that because Porsche has far more money than most of their customers, it would be a losing financial battle for an owner trying to fight them if they denied a warranty claim.

Last edited by Dr. G; 07-06-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:37 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by dpod4
Took delivery of second Spyder today. Best car ever.

Agreed!

Just drove my Guards Red on a round trip up North to Cottonwood California. Car is a dream come true. Need an oil change.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!