981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 02:17 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
The only "big" item we are missing is a carbon chassis and a good steering feel, both of which I experienced in a 570s and fell in love. The stiffness of a carbon chassis is like nothing else in terms of feeling like the car is made of one solid piece. The steering feel of the mclaren also made the spyders even more dull and disconnected then when I first bought it (was instantly disappointed)... If we could have a small manual transmission roadster with a carbon chassis.. THAT would be the forever car in my book.
Sounds amazing, and since I don't envision ever having Mclaren $ in my budget, I won't be test driving one anytime soon. :-)
Old 06-11-2016, 01:40 PM
dpod4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great video -- nailed how I feel about my Spyder, with only complaint being some driveways are too steep (front is properly low; i blame those who make the driveways!). If I could only keep one of my cars, it would be the Spyder (at half the price of the Turbo S). Just posted below on other Rennlist thread...

I just picked up a second spyder. I don't have many hobbies and don't take expensive vacations, so have focused some discretionary $$ on cars. In order i had purchased a 911 Turbo S, a 911 Targa GTS, and then a Boxster Spyder a few months ago. Turbo S blindingly fast super car like experience in a daily driver format. Lots of creature comforts and heavy planted feel. Super easy daily driver given automatic, technology, brakes, etc. Targa GTS not as fast but more engaging especially with top down and naturally aspirated engine at work. PDK makes the NA engine experience less engaging, but there is a greater sense of excitement using daily. I am sure the Turbo S is more thrilling on the track than the GTS, but any other format I vote for NA. Then the Spyder came along. Least expensive, most engaging. I had test driven a Boxster GTS before ordering the Spyder, and it was fun, nimble and reminded me of my old Toyota MR2 which was mid-engine placement...that go-kart like feel with a center of gravity right underneath your seat. When I drove the Spyder it was that plus a healthy dose of "OMG this is the most special and engaging car I have ever driven. Even with the top up." It was one of those rare experiences where you know the manufacturer broke through some alchemy barrier and made something more special than the sum of its parts. I am not a track guy and guess if I spent every weekend at the track I would feel that way about the GT4. For the Roadster experience is unmatched with the 911 NA engine dropped into that beautiful mid engine spyder format. My Turbo S is like listening to a CD (specs are great, easy and fast to use, etc.). The Spyder is like a great album on a world class turntable. Digital can never beat that.

Last edited by dpod4; 06-11-2016 at 01:41 PM. Reason: add
Old 06-11-2016, 02:33 PM
Joys4me
Intermediate

Very well said on the Spyder and I feel the same as you!
Old 06-12-2016, 05:07 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by dpod4
Great video -- nailed how I feel about my Spyder, with only complaint being some driveways are too steep (front is properly low; i blame those who make the driveways!). If I could only keep one of my cars, it would be the Spyder (at half the price of the Turbo S). Just posted below on other Rennlist thread...

I just picked up a second spyder. I don't have many hobbies and don't take expensive vacations, so have focused some discretionary $$ on cars. In order i had purchased a 911 Turbo S, a 911 Targa GTS, and then a Boxster Spyder a few months ago. Turbo S blindingly fast super car like experience in a daily driver format. Lots of creature comforts and heavy planted feel. Super easy daily driver given automatic, technology, brakes, etc. Targa GTS not as fast but more engaging especially with top down and naturally aspirated engine at work. PDK makes the NA engine experience less engaging, but there is a greater sense of excitement using daily. I am sure the Turbo S is more thrilling on the track than the GTS, but any other format I vote for NA. Then the Spyder came along. Least expensive, most engaging. I had test driven a Boxster GTS before ordering the Spyder, and it was fun, nimble and reminded me of my old Toyota MR2 which was mid-engine placement...that go-kart like feel with a center of gravity right underneath your seat. When I drove the Spyder it was that plus a healthy dose of "OMG this is the most special and engaging car I have ever driven. Even with the top up." It was one of those rare experiences where you know the manufacturer broke through some alchemy barrier and made something more special than the sum of its parts. I am not a track guy and guess if I spent every weekend at the track I would feel that way about the GT4. For the Roadster experience is unmatched with the 911 NA engine dropped into that beautiful mid engine spyder format. My Turbo S is like listening to a CD (specs are great, easy and fast to use, etc.). The Spyder is like a great album on a world class turntable. Digital can never beat that.
So you now have two 981 Spyders? Give us some details please on your builds and where you bought them and how much you paid.

PS welcome to the two Spyders Club.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:50 AM
dpod4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
So you now have two 981 Spyders? Give us some details please on your builds and where you bought them and how much you paid.

PS welcome to the two Spyders Club.
Yes, two. Embarrassingly the same color combo (white with classic spyder interior in red / black. Heated seats 18 way seats, reverse camera, bose cdr nav stereo, PDLS, light design package, etc. One has satin platinum wheels the other plain silver.

One for my vacation home (maybe 200 miles per year will be put on it), and one for my main residence.

Both were in the high 90s....just about MSRP.

Spent tonight telling my wife how (if gun to head) i would give up my 2015 911Turbo S and my 2016 911 Targa GTS and would choose my Spyder(s) as must keeps.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:41 PM
Oakcliff
Track Day

dpod4, congrats on the 2nd spyder!! Your wife sounds like a must keep to put up with all your toys.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:40 PM
dpod4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Oakcliff
dpod4, congrats on the 2nd spyder!! Your wife sounds like a must keep to put up with all your toys.
She sure is...gorgeous and she loves cars too - she has her own Targa 4 GTS and a Macan.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:24 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

I really really wanted a targa 4 GTS - seemed like an over engineered master piece. It's hard to believe that you prefer your Spyder, but it makes me feel a little better that I didn't get a targa gts. Also the amount of people with two Spyders is growing and also makes me feel less crazy. I too bought one for my vacation home on the other coast, but now I'm moving to a place about an hour from my vacation home so there goes that excuse. Soon they will be parked in the same garage.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:28 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

I really, really need to improve my car/life game.. Every time I think I'm doing something right, someone comes along and doubles it. #mustmovefaster! Thanks for the inspiration
Old 06-13-2016, 10:29 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Yes, two. Embarrassingly the same color combo (white with classic spyder interior in red / black. Heated seats 18 way seats, reverse camera, bose cdr nav stereo, PDLS, light design package, etc. One has satin platinum wheels the other plain silver.

One for my vacation home (maybe 200 miles per year will be put on it), and one for my main residence.

Both were in the high 90s....just about MSRP.

Spent tonight telling my wife how (if gun to head) i would give up my 2015 911Turbo S and my 2016 911 Targa GTS and would choose my Spyder(s) as must keeps.
I'm wondering if this buying two or more is a phenomena particular to the Spyder. Are there other cars that anyone knows of that has such second sales?
Old 06-13-2016, 10:34 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I really, really need to improve my car/life game.. Every time I think I'm doing something right, someone comes along and doubles it. #mustmovefaster! Thanks for the inspiration
Give me a break, I think you are doing great. If I wasn't focused on moving and buying a new home, then I would be modifying my red car, and you are way ahead on that one.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:51 PM
dpod4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
I really really wanted a targa 4 GTS - seemed like an over engineered master piece. It's hard to believe that you prefer your Spyder, but it makes me feel a little better that I didn't get a targa gts. Also the amount of people with two Spyders is growing and also makes me feel less crazy. I too bought one for my vacation home on the other coast, but now I'm moving to a place about an hour from my vacation home so there goes that excuse. Soon they will be parked in the same garage.
Targa 4 GTS is really special too, but for purist roadster driving pleasure, man-machine connection, I haven't experienced anything close to the Spyder. And I know it isn't just because of the soft top open air experience - have driven convertible ferraris before and didn't feel the magic alchemy like the Spyder has. Just my opinion based on what I enjoy.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:13 AM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Targa 4 GTS is really special too, but for purist roadster driving pleasure, man-machine connection, I haven't experienced anything close to the Spyder. And I know it isn't just because of the soft top open air experience - have driven convertible ferraris before and didn't feel the magic alchemy like the Spyder has. Just my opinion based on what I enjoy.
+1
Have had a F430 spider and 360 spider (both 6 speed manual). Fun, but both felt like really large cars. The 360 was close, but felt underpowered and again very large on the road. The F430 was quite honestly too much power for the chassis. Also had several Californias (an original and a 30 HS) and they are great GT cars, but DCT-only transmissions, heavy-- no comparison to the 981 Spyder.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:08 AM
GTS Daddy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just saw a white Spyder for sale. Asking $104K with 120 miles.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:49 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS Daddy
I just saw a white Spyder for sale. Asking $104K with 120 miles.
You need its MSRP to have a reference.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!