Sponsored by: APR

OT: Cayman GT4

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 06:00 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I probably felt a bit like you. Have had the car 14 months now and 10000km and driven in 5 countries, variety of road at Targa pace, track work etc.

Its an interesting car. The more I drove it the more it got under my skin. Infact it want till Dec 2014 and 12 months after my pruchase and delivery in Europe that I had a summer of back road drives at pace and a track day that really "switched" the car on for me. Now my 993RS spec languages in the garage unloved :-(. Seriously though, there will always be some that dont like the 991 GT3 transmission but honestly the more you use it - more variety of driving and conditions including fast road and track the more you can make a call on it.
There are a few friends back home that are trading their 991GT3 for the 997GT3. Funny thing is they'll lose money on the trade. They've had the car in average about a year like you.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:02 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kosmo
you see all those stick vs pdk threads paid off!!

BMW also gave us free maintenance too
Yup. Free brakes.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
There are a few friends back home that are trading their 991GT3 for the 997GT3. Funny thing is they'll lose money on the trade. They've had the car in average about a year like you.
Wow. Ive not heard of that. Im pretty well connected within the global 991 GT3 community. I know personally perhaps 20-30 Europeans with 991 GT3 - many like Phil in Switzerland or Peter in Germany that have done huge numbers of track days at the European circuits (20-30 already). They have ordered the 991 GT3RS but I havent heard or neither d I know of a single person who has sold up for a 7.2 GT3 although I know a few that have come from that model.

Each to their own I guess.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:19 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow. Ive not heard of that. Im pretty well connected within the global 991 GT3 community. I know personally perhaps 20-30 Europeans with 991 GT3 - many like Phil in Switzerland or Peter in Germany that have done huge numbers of track days at the European circuits (20-30 already). They have ordered the 991 GT3RS but I havent heard or neither d I know of a single person who has sold up for a 7.2 GT3 although I know a few that have come from that model. Each to their own I guess.
I've got a buddy who swapped from 991.3 to 997.3. Just don't post in the 991 forum about it.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

I love the PDK-S and I am a manual guy. I wish I could have both but I would still prefer a Manual because I do not track and love the involvement for spirited street drives. I do not have room for (2) cars but can always rent a garage space. One will be the keeper
Old 02-05-2015, 06:28 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,554 Likes on 2,587 Posts

Take a sample of a hundred drivers who're in the market for a GT3, have them drive the manual 997.2 and PDK 991 back to back multiple times, and then decide which they prefer. Having not done the experiment, we don't know the answer, but all things considered (take rate of the 991, reviews, etc.), I'd wager that a large majority would prefer the 991. Nevertheless, there's no 'right answer' as far as which on is better overall, it's a personal preference.

Harder to judge what the outcome of manual vs PDK 991 GT3 would be, since the manual wasn't offered, but my guess is that the PDK would still win. Again, no right (or wrong) answer here either.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:33 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Do you feel lucky?

For those lucky few (and you know who you are!) today PCNA sent out an email to all of those on their 918 VIP Program:

So we now know that the 918 VIP program is doing what it promised...and I would expect that the same sort of notice will be sent re: the MY2015 991 gt3 RS once the car is officially introduced later this Spring.

So:

And thus:

Don't confuse this program with the 'members only' jacket fad in the early 1980's. That got you nothing, not even a date with an ugly girl, because you still couldn't afford even a Porsche 914 1.7!

This 918 VIP 'members only' does deliver more than hats & little trinkets!

By the way, this is what the above email said re: when the GT4's will first arrive at US dealers:

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 02-05-2015, 06:34 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Going back to manual discussion

So, most people who are involved tracking late model Porsches have experienced both manual and PDK. At first, the thought of PDK was "no way, no automatic for me, I'm a track guy". But, my last car was going to be an all-purpose car including my wife driving it. That is what Cayman does best. So, I went PDK as a compromise... so I thought.

Then, I get to the track, strap in, put my "manual-only" instructor in the passenger seat and go for a few laps. After the tires are warm, I start to push hard. I'm flying down the long straight at WOT building speed 120, 125, 130... wait, wait, wait, then brake hard and late... brake brake, brake ... and then you hear it - the PDK starts singing that wonderful song.. 5th, rahhh! to the red line, then two second later 4th rahhh, then a second later 3rd rahhh, then 1/2 second later 2nd. Turn in now! I'm fully turned in approaching the apex, so I ease on the throttle as my wheel unwinds, smooth and gas pedal now to the firewall. It starts building speed, climbing through the gears. Gear changes at red line every time. But wait, a hard left hair pin is just up ahead, now, brake, brake, brake, the PDK fires down through the gears again, turn in, get back on the throttle, apex, unwind, lets go.

My instructor says "wow" this thing shifts nice.

In a matter of 12 seconds it down shifted through all the gears perfectly, the up shifted through the gears perfectly, then again, down through the gears, and up again.

I can't do that and you can't do that either.

Granted, doing it manually is involving and enjoyable as we try to replicate what PDK can do. I get it.

I question - can I go back to manual and leave the precision behind? I want the GT4, but once you've gone Pretty Damn Kwick, its hard to go back. I am just not sure.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:36 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
I've got a buddy who swapped from 991.3 to 997.3. Just don't post in the 991 forum about it.
As I say I have not heard of that happening and not aware of any of the couple of hundered owners on this board swapping back although I know a few like mooty who own both (or many!!)
Old 02-05-2015, 06:36 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,144 Likes on 2,900 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Harder to judge what the outcome of manual vs PDK 991 GT3 would be, since the manual wasn't offered, but my guess is that the PDK would still win. Again, no right (or wrong) answer here either.
Yeah, I think the only wrong answer is if they make the gearbox you don't want. I am one who would not spend the money for a GT3 without the option of shifting and I know some who canceled their GT4 order when they learned they had to shift.

This is a pretty devisive issue and a significant group on either side for whom this is a deal-breaker.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:44 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Wow. Ive not heard of that. Im pretty well connected within the global 991 GT3 community. I know personally perhaps 20-30 Europeans with 991 GT3 - many like Phil in Switzerland or Peter in Germany that have done huge numbers of track days at the European circuits (20-30 already). They have ordered the 991 GT3RS but I havent heard or neither d I know of a single person who has sold up for a 7.2 GT3 although I know a few that have come from that model.

Each to their own I guess.
Well these guys are bankers and PE type guys. Don't have time to **** their wives, much less go to tracks. Although one guy has maybe gone back to Hockenheim. Where I first drive the car.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:55 PM
PeteyDaddy
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GT4

Was at PCNA today. Beautiful place. Asked about the GT3 program that was emailed out and was told that they are just putting the finishing touches on that event and should email everyone details in the next few days/weeks. GT4 starts US deliverys in late June.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:56 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
So, most people who are involved tracking late model Porsches have experienced both manual and PDK. At first, the thought of PDK was "no way, no automatic for me, I'm a track guy". But, my last car was going to be an all-purpose car including my wife driving it. That is what Cayman does best. So, I went PDK as a compromise... so I thought. Then, I get to the track, strap in, put my "manual-only" instructor in the passenger seat and go for a few laps. After the tires are warm, I start to push hard. I'm flying down the long straight at WOT building speed 120, 125, 130... wait, wait, wait, then brake hard and late... brake brake, brake ... and then you hear it - the PDK starts singing that wonderful song.. 5th, rahhh! to the red line, then two second later 4th rahhh, then a second later 3rd rahhh, then 1/2 second later 2nd. Turn in now! I'm fully turned in approaching the apex, so I ease on the throttle as my wheel unwinds, smooth and gas pedal now to the firewall. It starts building speed, climbing through the gears. Gear changes at red line every time. But wait, a hard left hair pin is just up ahead, now, brake, brake, brake, the PDK fires down through the gears again, turn in, get back on the throttle, apex, unwind, lets go. My instructor says "wow" this thing shifts nice. In a matter of 12 seconds it down shifted through all the gears perfectly, the up shifted through the gears perfectly, then again, down through the gears, and up again. I can't do that and you can't do that either. Granted, doing it manually is involving and enjoyable as we try to replicate what PDK can do. I get it. I question - can I go back to manual and leave the precision behind? I want the GT4, but once you've gone Pretty Damn Kwick, its hard to go back. I am just not sure.
Much better approach to the discussion.
From the bottom of my heart,I really hope Porsche will offer a PDK option in the future for the Cayman GT4.

Nick(who writes on his old school typewriter)
Old 02-05-2015, 06:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 166 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Take a sample of a hundred drivers who're in the market for a GT3, have them drive the manual 997.2 and PDK 991 back to back multiple times, and then decide which they prefer. Having not done the experiment, we don't know the answer, but all things considered (take rate of the 991, reviews, etc.), I'd wager that a large majority would prefer the 991. Nevertheless, there's no 'right answer' as far as which on is better overall, it's a personal preference.

Harder to judge what the outcome of manual vs PDK 991 GT3 would be, since the manual wasn't offered, but my guess is that the PDK would still win. Again, no right answer here either.
Agree on all counts.

I admit, at the very beginning I argued with those who had strong negative opinions about the 991 GT3 because of no Mezger, PDK-S, RWS, torque vectoring, 20" "bling" wheels, EM steering, too many nannies, and on and on. The car would be grossly overweight, wouldn't have a track warranty, would be boring to drive, was only for posers, would be stacked up on dealers lots, blah, blah, blah. It bothered me that people were willing to be so down on something that hadn't even been built yet, much less driven.

The vast majority of those folks have come around and in fact some are now really excited about an RS model that will have many of the same features as the GT3 they initially mocked. How times change. But there are some who remain unconvinced; either because they still haven't sampled the car or because they have and simply prefer something different.

Maybe it's because I own a 991 GT3 now that I'm more willing to let the contrary opinions slide. I love the car and if someone else doesn't, well, they have their reasons and I won't argue about it any more. Even though I'm pretty sure they don't know what they're missing.....

Last edited by Mike in CA; 02-05-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:07 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
It is so hard for me to comprehend why one would think of getting a PDK Cayman GT4,or worried about going back to manual. It is not old technology,it is a technology that has worked and worked well for 100 years. It has also come a long way. Is the internal combustion engine old technology? Are the braking systems old technology? Is the steering old technology? Are the 5 lugs old technology? And so on...
Is Porsche(the most profitable car company in the World) going back to old technology? Are they crazy?
Give me a break with the " old technology " bit,it's insulting.
Agreed. Give me the "old technology" Ferrari V12 or Porsche naturally aspirated Flat 6 any day over a "new technology" hybrid BS.

Quick Reply: OT: Cayman GT4