Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 06:37 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMMY JAMES
TDT can I ask what is the ball park cost of the 718 CS intake?
I’m in the UK so pricing may be different here. For the US I understand BGB can supply the full package of parts for $3-4k.
Package is comprised of 82mm TB, intake plenum and runners, boots, clamps, wiring and new starter motor to fit.

check page 9 in this thread for the parts list...
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9321...journal-9.html

The following users liked this post:
JIMMY JAMES (09-02-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 07:55 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

From what I remember having the 718cs intake side by side with the RS intake is that the center plenum is similar in design between the two and accommodates the bigger tb but the runners very different, like a hybrid between a 981 and GT3 - runners are wider than the stock 981 but narrower than GT3rs and longer than both, the whole intake is taller. Should be a great upgrade! Porsche gave 981 owners an upgrade path with the 718cs and Deman gave us the next step beyond that

Last edited by ajw45; 09-02-2020 at 07:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TDT (09-02-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 05:28 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...18-cayman-gt4/

NA mid-engine cross-shopping
718 GT4 vs C8 today...
GT4RS vs Z06 tomorrow

Good article... no spoilers :-)

Last edited by CAlexio; 09-03-2020 at 05:32 AM.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:17 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

Ah yes, I forgot the 718CS stuck with the race-proven 9A1.

FWIW, I dropped my car off at the dealership for the airbag recall yesterday. They had 2 GT4s in the showroom: black and a Gentian Blue. My first time seeing Gentian or a 718 GT4 in the flesh. The blue hue was sharp under the showroom lights, and the car had sofas. I thought, I still prefer mine, but this is nice. Then I saw the black one, where everything was blacked out (taillights, emblems, wheels, calipers, etc) and it had buckets. This thing looked mean. Okay, I get the appeal, I could rock this...until I saw the sticker...$137.7k + $10k ADM = $147.7k! Even if we remove the ADM, that is about $150k after tax. I just can't see how you sell a 981 GT4 and then add in...what, another $65k on top? No.

I did get a Subaru...I mean, a 718 CS as a loaner. The warble did not sound Porsche-esque, but I'd love to have that torque in my car (I still think a turbo GT4RS mimicking a mini GT2RS would be awesome). The new blind spot warning integrated into the a pillar was a slick move, but I hate the new air vents even more in person than I did in the photos. I realized another reason why I can't have a PDK car - the PDK is so capable and smooth it disconnects me from the driving experience, so I drove home like I was in a video game. A PDK RS would get me in trouble.
The following 3 users liked this post by switchface:
Crazy Eddie (09-22-2020), JIMMY JAMES (09-03-2020), OpenWheelFan (09-04-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 05:59 PM
JIMMY JAMES
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Agree with everything you said. Price difference is too big for what you get over a lightly used 981.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:10 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Thanks for that info guys, very interesting. I may have an angle on GT4RS so I'm just patiently waiting and hoping.. but it's hard not to be curious. I love the front end design of the 718 GT4, and good to know it's not just appearance package. Frankly with all the intake/Cobb/headers mods I had done to my spyder it was a really nice engine to drive.. very different from stock. I should never never had sold that car for a Gt3. It was perfect for my interests and location. Live and learn.
CJ put you on top of his list?

Spend half the night re-read what was posted oh 2 1/2 years ago. This is the last car coming from that trip I made.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:50 AM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So you are saying it is worth putting a deposit down to get on the list for a GT4RS?
Old 09-22-2020, 01:58 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reborn996
So you are saying it is worth putting a deposit down to get on the list for a GT4RS?
If you cared for the hardest core Cayman but without manual. If you want manual there isn't a choice other than a GT4.

But be warn, it is an RS and carries the same baggage.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:18 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
If you cared for the hardest core Cayman but without manual. If you want manual there isn't a choice other than a GT4.

But be warn, it is an RS and carries the same baggage.
I'm at a cross roads with what tool I use for the track.

What's the RS baggage?
Old 09-22-2020, 05:54 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SToronto
I'm at a cross roads with what tool I use for the track.

What's the RS baggage?
Stiffer spring, stiffer ride, lowered front lip, uncomfortable bucket, etc.

If you have the means, a dedicated track car will always be better. Faster, safer than any street car you can use on a track. And if some incident happens on track, you still have a car to go home in.

Old 09-22-2020, 07:38 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Stiffer spring, stiffer ride, lowered front lip, uncomfortable bucket, etc.

If you have the means, a dedicated track car will always be better. Faster, safer than any street car you can use on a track. And if some incident happens on track, you still have a car to go home in.

Oh those concerns. No prob. Part of that car.

If you have a moment to enlighten me with feedback.

I have a 991.2 GT3 that I tracked last year and only 3 days this year due to pandemic. I'm an Intermediate solo driver. Mosport is the only track for prob next couple years. I rarely drive the GT3 on street because it's PDK and too quick to really enjoy. I have other cars that are more fun on the street. So you could say it's my track car. Thinking ahead for next year with the 992 GT3 coming. Interested in a Touring for street.

Would probably like to stay Porsche though those Radical guys have a blast.

A) trade on 992 GT3 or RS
B) trade on GT4RS
C) sell and get GT4 CS Track Day
D) trade on 718 S - modify for track duty, engine tune, suspension, wheels, tires, exhaust.
E) keep 991.2 GT3 for track and maybe start some mods like wheels, tires and suspension
Old 09-23-2020, 01:31 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

With the exception of the GT4 CS, not sure your experience, as in what you actually do with the car and what things it does to put a smile on your face, will change much between any of those choices for what you’re doing with it.

if you’re hooked, get a truck, trailer and GT4 CS

Otherwise I don’t see a reason to change what you have, unless you want a manual.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:40 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SToronto
Oh those concerns. No prob. Part of that car.

If you have a moment to enlighten me with feedback.

I have a 991.2 GT3 that I tracked last year and only 3 days this year due to pandemic. I'm an Intermediate solo driver. Mosport is the only track for prob next couple years. I rarely drive the GT3 on street because it's PDK and too quick to really enjoy. I have other cars that are more fun on the street. So you could say it's my track car. Thinking ahead for next year with the 992 GT3 coming. Interested in a Touring for street.

Would probably like to stay Porsche though those Radical guys have a blast.

A) trade on 992 GT3 or RS
B) trade on GT4RS
C) sell and get GT4 CS Track Day
D) trade on 718 S - modify for track duty, engine tune, suspension, wheels, tires, exhaust.
E) keep 991.2 GT3 for track and maybe start some mods like wheels, tires and suspension
I am firmly in the camp that a dedicated track car is the better choice. Some others do disagree.

But with that choice, the expense of an extra trailer to tow the car, and tire expenses have to be added. A set of Michelins slicks will last you perhaps a day and a half depending on how many sessions a day you run. On my track Area 27 we do 20mins sessions, GT4CS will do low 2 mins laps on the 4.8km circuit so about 8-9 laps per, 5-6 sessions depending on how many groups we send out. The tires can do perhaps 8 of these sessions and they will be done. Pirelli slicks last longer, a lot longer actually. From new the Pirellis can run ~20 sessions. The heat cycle between sessions really help them last longer. Fuel you can safely budget a litre a minute. 20L will last a 20 mins session. But maintenance on the GT4CS is minimal, as it runs on street car engine and transmission, outside of distance based oil changes, just regular lubing of joints and that's it.

As a intermediate level driver you will already have the skill set to explore additional grip going from street tires to slicks. On your home track the GT4CS will be that much faster going down turn 1-4. The only place the GT3 have the advantage will be on the uphill back straight. But the 2 cars will behave difference on track, one is a mid engine car and one is a rear engine car. You will need to adapt your driving style.

Your option E is not a bad choice. While Porsche frown upon putting slicks on the GT3, some hot track tires like Hoosiers or something do wonders to your laps times. But that choice means chaging the brakes and spindle to 5 lugs and 18" wheels as from memory I do not think sizes for native GT3 wheels exists. A cage is highly highly recommended for safety if you go this route. At least half cage and also reinforcement on mount points, as Porsche do not provide those on North America cars.

In Porsche speak, a GT car is a street car that is also capable on a track, not heavy duty driving but occasional use it's fine. An RS means it's a track car that can be driven on the street, firmly medium duty track usage at least. The 981 GT4CS/718 GT4CS is their entry level 'race car', but more like dedicated track car for heavy duty track usage. So the choice is yours depending on how 'hardcore' you do your tracking.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:22 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BioBanker
With the exception of the GT4 CS, not sure your experience, as in what you actually do with the car and what things it does to put a smile on your face, will change much between any of those choices for what you’re doing with it.

Otherwise I don’t see a reason to change what you have, unless you want a manual.
Deleted to multi-quote.

Last edited by SToronto; 09-23-2020 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:49 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

I am firmly in the camp that a dedicated track car is the better choice. Some others do disagree.

But with that choice, the expense of an extra trailer to tow the car, and tire expenses have to be added. A set of Michelins slicks will last you perhaps a day and a half depending on how many sessions a day you run. On my track Area 27 we do 20mins sessions, GT4CS will do low 2 mins laps on the 4.8km circuit so about 8-9 laps per, 5-6 sessions depending on how many groups we send out. The tires can do perhaps 8 of these sessions and they will be done. Pirelli slicks last longer, a lot longer actually. From new the Pirellis can run ~20 sessions. The heat cycle between sessions really help them last longer. Fuel you can safely budget a litre a minute. 20L will last a 20 mins session. But maintenance on the GT4CS is minimal, as it runs on street car engine and transmission, outside of distance based oil changes, just regular lubing of joints and that's it.
Trailer and probably tow vehicle would be an expense. I have a Cayenne that would probably be sufficient for a lightweight single car trailer. If investing in a trailer, ideally it would be a 2 car, this way I could take one of my street cars to the track for some fun that can't be had on the street and run both cars on the same day. The group I go with does 6 x 20 min sessions and open lapping for a hour at end of day. What is the rough cost of slicks? Cup 2s here are about $2900 installed, would imagine slicks are more. Is it important to maintain tire temps between sessions? I don't see guys doing that now on track cars/ferrari challenge cars, so presume not for DE purposes. For GT4CS, do you need track side support?

As a intermediate level driver you will already have the skill set to explore additional grip going from street tires to slicks. On your home track the GT4CS will be that much faster going down turn 1-4. The only place the GT3 have the advantage will be on the uphill back straight. But the 2 cars will behave difference on track, one is a mid engine car and one is a rear engine car. You will need to adapt your driving style.
I had a 981 GT4 which I tracked at Mosport in 2018, was fantastic, just felt effortless on the turns, could really give it. I was probably quicker on some turns in that car and that's likely a skill thing holding me back on the GT3. 981 was slow on the back straight by comparison. I haven't kept track of times so nothing to reference but memories.

Your option E is not a bad choice. While Porsche frown upon putting slicks on the GT3, some hot track tires like Hoosiers or something do wonders to your laps times. But that choice means chaging the brakes and spindle to 5 lugs and 18" wheels as from memory I do not think sizes for native GT3 wheels exists. A cage is highly highly recommended for safety if you go this route. At least half cage and also reinforcement on mount points, as Porsche do not provide those on North America cars.
They frown from a warranty perspective or dynamics change? Yes seems like most guys go to 18s for better availability and reduced costs. I have a Competition Motorsports half cage now with 6 pt belts/hans. No reinforcement on mounts. Option E would be a base $185K (trade value) spend looking at current GT3 values on similar spec cars + brake, spindle, wheel, tires. So it's still up there. I think E would make sense if I stuck with the option for another 2-3 years. But that should probably be a serious thought as I'm for sure not fully exploiting the GT3 capabilities.

In Porsche speak, a GT car is a street car that is also capable on a track, not heavy duty driving but occasional use it's fine. An RS means it's a track car that can be driven on the street, firmly medium duty track usage at least. The 981 GT4CS/718 GT4CS is their entry level 'race car', but more like dedicated track car for heavy duty track usage. So the choice is yours depending on how 'hardcore' you do your tracking.
RS is at or above GT4CS vehicle price. Why would somebody get 3RS instead? Because it is streetable?

Added some more background for Biobankers question below.

Originally Posted by BioBanker

Intermediate driver for 11 track days over last year and this season (3 days this year). So I'd say still fresh and working to improve consistency and speed. Hope is to do at least 10-12 days a year, this year pandemic changed those hopes. Love the GT3 in terms of handling, steering, transmission (PDK), engine and design. But don't drive it much on street because it's just too quick to go a bit above speed limits, not looking to be a fool on the road. So my thinking is that I am wasting money on it, barely using it. So trying to see if those funds are better allocated to something that will perform better on track (yes I know driver is the first thing to improve, which I'm working on). In addition to performance, something that will be safer. In the GT3 I installed a half cage and 6 pt belts, so use a Hans as well. I know that half cage isn't as purposeful as a proper full cage but I feel it's better than nothing and wasn't looking to get a properly installed full cage into the GT3.

So if I look at what I spent on the GT3, $230K around. Is that money or whatever value is left in that expense better spent elsewhere for more enjoyment.

GT4 CS is around that spend landed in Canada. At this point I'm not thinking of racing or anything. The CS would need to be a multi-year investment as I'm not sure how easy it is to sell in a couple years and what value you would get.

I also typically buy insurance, to me it's part of the track cost and I'd hate to loose $230K to save $1000/day. So a lower cost car (not GT4 CS, no idea how to insure that) would reduce operating costs like insurance. Not that the expense is an issue now, but I don't like to spend money if I don't have to or if it doesn't make sense.

Last edited by SToronto; 09-23-2020 at 09:08 AM.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?