Old 06-19-2019, 12:36 AM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Great synopsis .....
Always said the GT4 was a modern day 951
+1!

For the 981 gen the GT4 seemed like the better deal. This time around with the 718 Spyder getting the full GT4 treatment and being cheaper, I think the Spyder is the big winner. The GT4 might be a sleepier proposition till they release the pdk option... I kinda want a Spyder now....
Old 06-19-2019, 12:38 AM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

yes, PDK in June 2020
you just have to search through all of the threads and posts to find it

Originally Posted by GP Racing
There is no word on the PDK from anywhere.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:47 AM
GP Racing
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JSF101
yes, PDK in June 2020
you just have to search through all of the threads and posts to find it
Should have said no official word. Only 12 months away perhaps.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:58 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Where is the English version of an interview with AP? German, French, Dutch all out there. No English interview?
Old 06-19-2019, 01:03 AM
DrainsWalletsFast
Burning Brakes

Received 345 Likes on 191 Posts

I don't get how people are saying they expected more power. 420 PS was what the rumormill on here has been saying for months if not more. A jump of 40 or so from the last car is actually pretty significant. Most of the time you only see jumps of 20-25 PS between revisions of n/a GT cars. Not sure what people expected here. The car even got a new engine and displacement bump like they did when they facelifted the GT3. I was partially considering upgrading to one of these things and was watching this closely, but I think at the end of the day the car ended up too expensive for me to justify (especially when you factor in the dealer experience surrounding GT cars and trying to pay the right price). I'm going to have to say that the Spyder actually is the better looking car of the two this time around.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsch...ns_(road_cars)
Old 06-19-2019, 01:42 AM
Aloof
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmm. My personal feelings I wanted to get off my chest regarding the car. I have to be honest it did not "WOW" me as I had somewhat expected. Things that to me are not ideal:

· Engine: I like the idea of the 4.0, I figured it would not get the detuned GT3 motor. However again with the “integrated” dry sump is a missed opportunity to legitimize the vehicle a bit more with a true dry sump. I read the primary reason they did not fit the GT3 motor was due to the dry sump storage, yet I can not believe Porsche could not configure a new dry sump for use on the GT4 motor. As pointed out, the torque figures remaining the same as the 981 GT4 makes me question the benefit a bit.

· Color palette: Way less than ideal. I really like a bright blue such as Sapphire/Aqua/Cobalt and that is a big miss. Also, to be honest I am just not feeling many of the colors.

· Weight gain

· Gearing: untouched and it was a pretty heavily complained about in prior gen.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:34 AM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Built "my" 981 GT4 on the USA Porsche site this afternoon. I was able to come very close to my build....spec wise. Extremely close. My car sold for $104K originally back in 2015. Same build with the 718 came out to $117K. Bit of a jump.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:47 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
To have people buy them?
How many people? They can't really make it much cheaper than the GT4/Spyder to begin with as it would have to be considerably more expensive than a 4-banger GTS is now and it has considerably worse emissions on paper which also matters.

Just because Porsche made the GT3 Touring package doesn't mean that philosophy suddenly extends to all their sportscars. There were very specific reasons for the Touring - crazy 911R speculation and a backlash over the way the "last" manual NA cars were allocated. So they cancelled the PDK only thing and drove a stake into the worst of the speculation. Everybody happy. The mid engine GT cars are already manual and the tiny part of the market that would take a slightly softer more modest looking 718 instead of a GT4 or Spyder at nearly the same price just isn't there. It's not like they have ever had trouble selling our the production capacity of whatever GT car they make anyway.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:03 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4John
Built "my" 981 GT4 on the USA Porsche site this afternoon. I was able to come very close to my build....spec wise. Extremely close. My car sold for $104K originally back in 2015. Same build with the 718 came out to $117K. Bit of a jump.
After adjusting for inflation, $104k USD in 2015 is $112k USD now, and probably $114k by next year. Thus, after adjusting for inflation, it’s a 3% jump which is not too bad.

Some food for thought: compare the new GT4 to a Mustang GT350R. In Canada, the 718 GT4 costs around 30% more than the Mustang. For 30% extra, you get better agility and chassis balance, similar or slightly better straight line performance, a far nicer interior, and a much more attractive car than a tarted up version of the Mustangs you see in every high school parking lot.

People say that American muscle cars are much better value per dollar, and one may be able to argue that between say a 911 vs Corvette, but I’ll say the GT4 holds its own for value per dollar compared to American cars.

The Spyder (which I’m eyeing) is even better value. A topless GT4 with a discount. It’s like 90% of a 991.2 Speedster for 1/3 the cost.

For existing 981 GT4 and Spyder owners, I accept that it’s probably not worth trading in and getting a 982. However, it’s still a good value for the car.

I feel the GT4 and particularly the 718 Spyder are much better bang for your buck than a 992 Carrera S.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:14 AM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
After adjusting for inflation, $104k USD in 2015 is $112k USD now, and probably $114k by next year. Thus, after adjusting for inflation, it’s a 3% jump which is not too bad.

Some food for thought: compare the new GT4 to a Mustang GT350R. In Canada, the 718 GT4 costs around 30% more than the Mustang. For 30% extra, you get better agility and chassis balance, similar or slightly better straight line performance, a far nicer interior, and a much more attractive car than a tarted up version of the Mustangs you see in every high school parking lot.

People say that American muscle cars are much better value per dollar, and one may be able to argue that between say a 911 vs Corvette, but I’ll say the GT4 holds its own for value per dollar compared to American cars.

The Spyder (which I’m eyeing) is even better value. A topless GT4 with a discount. It’s like 90% of a 991.2 Speedster for 1/3 the cost.

For existing 981 GT4 and Spyder owners, I accept that it’s probably not worth trading in and getting a 982. However, it’s still a good value for the car.

I feel the GT4 and particularly the 718 Spyder are much better bang for your buck than a 992 Carrera S.
I agree 100% with your observations...and yes...as rare as the 981 Spyder is...the 718 Spyder appears to be the way to go if you want one on-demand.

But for the GT4...there a tons out there for sale in the $85-$90K range with low miles. Unless you're just wanting a brand-new car...which is understandable...I mean you get 98%+ of the new 718 for a titanic discount. (98% is a totally random comparison...)
Old 06-19-2019, 06:51 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Where is the English version of an interview with AP? German, French, Dutch all out there. No English interview?
Best option is you can turn on the closed caption, and choose translate to English. The closed caption can be selected on the menu wheel at the bottom right of your you tube screen. its not a perfect translation, but gives you a good idea of what is being said.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:01 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
I don't get how people are saying they expected more power. 420 PS was what the rumormill on here has been saying for months if not more. A jump of 40 or so from the last car is actually pretty significant.
I don't know what the PS on 981 was, but the hp was 385 and on the new one it's 414 from what I've read. That's 29 hp jump, and no torque. Isn't that like an exhaust and a BMC filter or something?
Old 06-19-2019, 08:11 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Pros and Cons of New Car

My first take. The Cayman is a great platform given to the GT department to make faster. They makes things faster by reducing weight, increasing power, improving aero, and suspension mods. They are essentially a factory sponsored speed shop. At first glance, I am underwhelmed by the new 718 GT4 - and this result after nearly 5 years of GT tinkering. And, Preuninger, how in the hell did you let the bosses talk you into installing an auto off system in a GT car??? Come on man!!! Bigger battery, heavier starter - are you kidding me??? A colossal waist of time and money IMO. If the GT department did absolutely nothing to the GT4, except change to the 718 body, and applied the already-developed clubsport PDK technology, the result would have been better.

After reading the initial press releases and auto magazine articles I've compiled a list of changes for the new 718.

Pros:

1. Auto blip on and off button
2. Fully adjustable toe and camber front and rear
3. A mono ball added to suspension
4. More downforce
5. Revs to 8,000
6. Slight horsepower bump
7. More displacement

Cons:

1. Auto On / Off feature drives everyone crazy with button you forget to deploy.
2. Particulate filter muffler
3. 6 to 3 cylinder knock out during low power
4. Flying Nunn wing
5. $15k more expensive
6. Not limited production, reasonable to expect more depreciation?
7. No sapphire blue color option, and no bespoke GT4 color choice.

And, Changes that did not occur, but perhaps should have:

1. No mention of front strut tower improvement
2. No mention of beefier transmission
3. No gearing changes
4. No weight reduction
5. No increase in wheel width
6. No new seat improvements
7. No factory clubsport harness bar option in US
8. No front axle lift option
9. Same low torque

Old 06-19-2019, 08:17 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
+1!

For the 981 gen the GT4 seemed like the better deal. This time around with the 718 Spyder getting the full GT4 treatment and being cheaper, I think the Spyder is the big winner. The GT4 might be a sleepier proposition till they release the pdk option... I kinda want a Spyder now....
Agree... Julie and I put ourselves on the list to buy a Spyder.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:20 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,507 Likes on 2,827 Posts

Lots of complaints. I think most people in the real world are pretty excited.

Porsche has invested significant money in an ultra low volume platform sports car with a NA engine and manual transmission. Who else is doing that??

Yeah it’s not perfect, but this car has a new NA engine! Frankly, it’s borderline miraculous that Porsche continues to support this platform and these kind of cars.

As a previous GT4 owner, I have to say that the new Spyder is very cool. That’s the one to get, I’m thinking.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?