Notices

Any Porsche fallout from the VW fiasco?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 03:14 AM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Omnigeek
Bottom line is that the EPA is the one doing the deceiving and we will never get compensated for the damage they have done to both the economy and the environment.
VW just gave the EPA more power than your lifetime of votes will ever take away.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:59 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
+1. Also, no one can tell me that my Cayenne Diesel didn't take a resale value hit. It was bought based on the excellent reputation of the VAG diesel engine, which is now damaged due to a deliberate act by VW. And my '12 Jetta GLI (which is a terrific car) value will also suffer. This is a big deal for me- I do not keep cars for very long, ease of sale, and reputation are key to my purchase decision.
I've been actively looking for a late model 911, that has stopped until this shakes out.
I was looking at a Cayman. I know a lot of CD owners are keeping their PIGs for a long time, but like human nature, we also like checking newer toys and see how much value we have to trade in our current cars. Given that POA has a stop sale for the CD now, all that potential economic activities from trade-in are gone. Lessees will just return their CDs.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:38 PM
WJGreer
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
I was looking at a Cayman. I know a lot of CD owners are keeping their PIGs for a long time, but like human nature, we also like checking newer toys and see how much value we have to trade in our current cars. Given that POA has a stop sale for the CD now, all that potential economic activities from trade-in are gone. Lessees will just return their CDs.
Agreed. For now, I assume VAG's stop sale for the 3.0 TDI engines is precautionary only, but the dealers won't even sell their used ones, so it's a scary thing. Nothing affects price levels more than emotion these days, seems like. No change in fundamental value is needed.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:47 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/10/porsc...dal-costs.html
Old 11-23-2015, 11:35 AM
WJGreer
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 96 Posts

Looks like VAG is now admitting that they've been fiddling with the software on the 3.0 TDI engines too, although in a different way than the 4 cylinders, and legally in Europe. Still, not a good day for anyone holding a Cayenne Diesel or a Q7 TDI.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ating-software
Old 11-24-2015, 01:23 PM
blackbull
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More fallout from the VW fiasco.......

Volkswagen Admits To Equipping Audis, Porsches With Second Illegal Defeat Device:

the company has admitted that some 85,000 Audi engines contained a second defeat device just weeks after saying (and this is about as explicit as it gets) that “no software has been installed in the three-litre V6 diesel power units to alter emissions characteristics in a forbidden manner”.

As it turns out, software had been installed in all three-litre V6 diesel power units. As FT reports, “the luxury car brand of the VW group admitted that the software was in all three-litre V6 diesel engines manufactured by Audi and sold from 2009 until this year.”

So no big deal, just every single three-litre V6 diesel vehicle sold for the past seven years.

FT goes on to note that after a meeting between Audi’s chief executive, the company’s engineers, and the US Environmental Protection Agency, the carmaker “sent out a statement saying that it had failed to disclose three auxiliary emissions control devices (AECDs) to regulators. Without disclosure and subsequent approval from regulators, AECDs are not legal.”

“One of them,” the company added, “is regarded as a defeat device according to applicable US law. Specifically, this is the software for the temperature conditioning of the exhaust-gas cleaning system.”

Apparently, the company will stop selling 3.0 litre TDI-equipped Audi A6s, A7s, A8s, Q5s and Q7s, VW Touaregs and Porsche Cayennes.

According to Bloomberg, Audi "agreed to revise and resubmit data concerning the V6 TDI 3-liter diesel engine to U.S. authorities after negotiations." The cost affecting Audi, Porsche and VW for a software update is expected to be in the “mid-double-digit millions of euros” range.

To be sure, the writing was already on the wall here. As Bloomberg noted on Friday, "Thursday’s meeting between company officials, EPA and the California regulators involved technical experts who talked about three pieces of equipment on the 3.0-liter engines that should have been disclosed as auxiliary emissions control devices." According to the EPA, one of the three devices qualifies as a defeat device.

And so, it just keeps getting worse and in fact, the bad news is piling up so quick that analysts can't keep up with it. For instance, earlier today, Deutsche Bank said the following: "...the product offensive Audi is currently rolling should help to sustain a healthy pricing environment going forward. Obviously this weekend’s newflow might change this at least in the US."

Yes, "obviously", especially when one variant of every single model besides the A4 and the TT is now under a stop sale order.

Additionally, it's hilarious to note that despite it all, Germany's manufacturing PMI came in at 52.6 today, a three-month high.

In any event, we'll anxiously await the analyst response on Tuesday to see just how much more "speechless" everyone is and in the meantime, we would note that if you thought "stability in volatile times" was a hilariously ironic tagline for a VW corporate presentation...

... then you'll love being reminded of Audi's mantra..."Truth in engineering"

Quick Reply: Any Porsche fallout from the VW fiasco?