Notices

Any Porsche fallout from the VW fiasco?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 03:45 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Not only will the VW crisis spillover into Porsche, it's likely to affect the entire German economy.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0RN27S20150923
Read that piece yesterday. A bit over-dramatic, IMO. Seemed to imply a drop in US sales will put German workers out of jobs, impacting the German economy. In reality, it will be jobs in Puebla and Chattanooga that are in jeopardy.

While VW vehicles globally have the software, I have yet to see any accusation that cars outside the US fail to meet local regulations. While an embarrassment, I just see this blowing over in most markets. The brand will be severely tarnished to US buyers, however VW does not sell a lot of cars here anyway (which is a failure in itself - I foresee another complete overhaul of VWoA coming).
Old 09-24-2015, 04:19 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the only thing the government should regulate with cars is safety. Mileage has nothing to do with safety so they shouldn't have anything to do with telling car companies what kind of engines to offer. Obviously I think cars should be done based on supply and demand, not what some arbitrary numbers corrupt bureaucrats come up with

Originally Posted by ChoyV
The question is, are you OK with the performance bump with the double duty software in question? As a car guy who prefers performance against mileage, I am OK with it. Most of us owns a Porsche or similar performance car. IMHO, we prefer the performance aspect of the car first and foremost.

There is no doubt that they cheated! Why? Is it really hard to attain that EPA set standards? What if the only way to pass the EPA ruling is a downsize engine? Are you OK with it? With increasing safety standards that were mandated to be put in placed to all auto, the GVW will also increase. In order to decrease overall weight, they have to make use of expensive materials to offset the added standard options. Are we willing to pay for those price increase? Eventually we are forced to drive those Smart cars as long as you don't drive in San Francisco.

To be honest, I prefer a diesel engine than electric or hybrid power engine, unless it is the 918 or P1. There is also a political aspect to all of this. For me, let the public dictate what to buy. Maybe those people like me who prefer powerful engine will cease to exist (die out) and the new gen will stick to their electric self driving car.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:38 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

According to a Bloomberg article published today, Martin Winterkorn will receive an exit package of €28.6 ($32.1 at today's exchange rate).

Not bad, not bad at all!!
Old 09-24-2015, 04:48 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Read that piece yesterday. A bit over-dramatic, IMO. Seemed to imply a drop in US sales will put German workers out of jobs, impacting the German economy. In reality, it will be jobs in Puebla and Chattanooga that are in jeopardy.

While VW vehicles globally have the software, I have yet to see any accusation that cars outside the US fail to meet local regulations. While an embarrassment, I just see this blowing over in most markets. The brand will be severely tarnished to US buyers, however VW does not sell a lot of cars here anyway (which is a failure in itself - I foresee another complete overhaul of VWoA coming).
Here's another link that answers your question. VW is in a very serious situation, no matter how you spin it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/23/bu...andal.html?_r=
Old 09-24-2015, 04:55 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Anyone who thinks this is going to be a relatively minor blip, that just blows over in a year or so, is kidding themselves. This is a global problem for VW that is going have massive financial consequences to the company.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:56 PM
Car25
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Do the LeMans prototype cars undergo emissions testing?
I'm wondering about the Audi R18 (and prior versions) e-tron quattro TDI.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:06 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I agree that VW is probably not going under, but a problem with your scenario outlining reasons the "government" won't levy huge fines because they don't want to put all those people out of work, and lose tax revenue, is that the US Government, EPA specifically, might be the one issuing the huge fines, not the German government. In addition to possible fines, what if the engines can't pass EPA and other European Gov emissions regulations? What if VW has to recall all those cars and replace engines, or some other costly modification, in addition to the hefty fines?
true, although there is at least one large assembly plant in the US. I'm not sure how the EPA fines are broken down.

My understanding is that this a software "switch" in the fuel/air/ignition timing inputs are adapted for cleaner running, so it should be a reflash, nothing more.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:10 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Anyone who thinks this is going to be a relatively minor blip, that just blows over in a year or so, is kidding themselves. This is a global problem for VW that is going have massive financial consequences to the company.
My concern is that this will have a very significant impact on Porsche's R&D budget. VW will be hit in three stages: 1. The cost of recalling 11 million cars and implementing the software patch; 2. The huge fines that will be imposed on VW by the US and other countries; and 3. The class action suits.
It took Audi 15 years to restore its image from a bogus charge. Imagine how long VW will suffer from the scandal of deliberately deceiving its customers.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:12 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Any Porsche fallout from the VW fiasco?

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I agree that VW is probably not going under, but a problem with your scenario outlining reasons the "government" won't levy huge fines because they don't want to put all those people out of work, and lose tax revenue, is that the US Government, EPA specifically, might be the one issuing the huge fines, not the German government. In addition to possible fines, what if the engines can't pass EPA and other European Gov emissions regulations? What if VW has to recall all those cars and replace engines, or some other costly modification, in addition to the hefty fines?
I think you're wrong that this crisis won't lead to bankruptcy. The fine and subsequent recalls are enough of a catalyst to boost a car manufacturer into bankruptcy. It's bin seen time and time again. The question is whether Germany is willing to backstop the brand with a cash infusion to stem the coming bleeding that will occur. Another to big to fail fiasco for the taxpayer's intervention might be in play.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:20 PM
Winegums
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My concern is that this will have a very significant impact on Porsche's R&D budget. VW will be hit in three stages: 1. The cost of recalling 11 million cars and implementing the software patch; 2. The huge fines that will be imposed on VW by the US and other countries; and 3. The class action suits.
It took Audi 15 years to restore its image from a bogus charge. Imagine how long VW will suffer from the scandal of deliberately deceiving its customers.
The only people VW was deceiving was EPA, as customer I'd be pretty happy if my car had more power. It's not like they were giving the customer a product that was potentially dangerous or cheating them.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:25 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm surprised no one's cued the tinfoil-hat conspiracy theories yet.

THIS IS A WAR ON DIESEL

THE HYBRID AND ELECTRIC CAR LOBBY ARE ATTACKING DIESEL

#DIESELCARSMATTER
Old 09-24-2015, 05:28 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok,well i was about to order a diesel cayenne. I think it might be wise to wait a bit and see what happens.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:39 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Winegums
The only people VW was deceiving was EPA, as customer I'd be pretty happy if my car had more power. It's not like they were giving the customer a product that was potentially dangerous or cheating them.
Well! Cheating isn't ok with me. Unless off course I'm allowed to cheat on my taxes. I'll look the other way. Imagine what that will start . Lol
Old 09-24-2015, 05:40 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I think you're wrong that this crisis won't lead to bankruptcy. The fine and subsequent recalls are enough of a catalyst to boost a car manufacturer into bankruptcy. It's bin seen time and time again. The question is whether Germany is willing to backstop the brand with a cash infusion to stem the coming bleeding that will occur. Another to big to fail fiasco for the taxpayer's intervention might be in play.
I said PROBABLY not. It could lead to bankruptcy, but as you said, is Germany willing to backstop VW if necessary to keep it running, should that become necessary. A lot of people thought BP would be bankrupt after the Gulf oil spill, but they are still solvent, even with $40.00 oil.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:41 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 147 Posts

Here's another link that answers your question. VW is in a very serious situation, no matter how you spin it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/23/bu...andal.html?_r=
"So far Volkswagen has not been accused of deliberately programming its cars to fool European regulators."

Until they are accused, the 11 million number is a red herring, and the involvement of the EU nations is a moot point. Assuming no foul, there will be little harm outside of the US.

Different story in the US, however cutting into 6% of their global sales is not going to break them. And as stated by others, fines will not be levied to an extent it will bankrupt the company, either here or abroad. Nobody wants factories closing in TN and impacting numerous domestic suppliers with an election coming up...

Quick Reply: Any Porsche fallout from the VW fiasco?