Notices

Any Porsche fallout from the VW fiasco?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 05:43 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
true, although there is at least one large assembly plant in the US. I'm not sure how the EPA fines are broken down.

My understanding is that this a software "switch" in the fuel/air/ignition timing inputs are adapted for cleaner running, so it should be a reflash, nothing more.
I am not so sure it's just a reflash. My understanding is that the software is designed to "fool" the test equipment during an emission test. Maybe the engine can't pass without the hidden software. If so, then the cars will not be legal, especially in California.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:43 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
Ok,well i was about to order a diesel cayenne. I think it might be wise to wait a bit and see what happens.
Wise for sure. Might be best to look towards electric technology instead. As diesel seams to have hit a brick wall.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:48 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I said PROBABLY not. It could lead to bankruptcy, but as you said, is Germany willing to backstop VW if necessary to keep it running, should that become necessary. A lot of people thought BP would be bankrupt after the Gulf oil spill, but they are still solvent, even with $40.00 oil.
BP mines a relatively free product. The margins are enormous compared to a company that works on small percentages.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:49 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Wise for sure. Might be best to look towards electric technology instead. As diesel seams to have hit a brick wall.
Unfortunately that is the mentality I am afraid the US public will wrongly be left with, and I doubt any manufacturers will pick up the pom-poms to rally in favor of diesel to change that perception.

Buy them now (other than the 2.0 TDI models), while you still can...
Old 09-24-2015, 05:51 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
I'm surprised no one's cued the tinfoil-hat conspiracy theories yet.

THIS IS A WAR ON DIESEL

THE HYBRID AND ELECTRIC CAR LOBBY ARE ATTACKING DIESEL

#DIESELCARSMATTER

I think in the USA that could be the case. Diesel has always been more expensive here than in Germany. In Germany the Diesel was very cheap and so many people drive Diesel from all kinds of Car makers.

I never understood why they would charge more for Diesel here.

Take a look at all the cool Diesel Car / Trucks and SUV's you can ge in Europe.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:51 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
BP mines a relatively free product. The margins are enormous compared to a company that works on small percentages.
They still had to pay a 18.7 million dollar fine to US Government, plus all the costs associated with the clean-up. Not an insignificant amount for BP. I doubt very seriously this will sink VW.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:01 PM
Arcoril
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Edit: whoops, already posted
Old 09-24-2015, 06:08 PM
Rennaissance
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who can tell me what happened to Ford, GM, Lexus, etc... All the companies that killed people by negligence and then fraudulently tried to cover up?

A few hundreds of millions of fines later and the companies are still here. Stronger than ever.

What happened to PG&E after San Bruno pipeline? A secondary share issue later, they are still a regional monopoly, milking people more than ever over "sustainable" energy and digital meters.

Just because some petty bureaucrats at the EPA are hurting to see their technocratic fantasies finally encountering reality does not mean that Angela Merkel is going to preside over Europe's number 1 car maker going down or moving to China.

VW will get legal protection against the EPA and class actions in exchange for Google being let off the hook in Europe. All the turds who have been cluelessly wondering why is their Diesel so stinky and so fuel efficient at the same time will get just enough money to pay their lawyers off, and maybe not even that.

Yes, sure, shareholders will take a big hit as usual (I mean those bureaucratic dimwits have been eating the rich ever since Marx wrote his masturbation manual), but believe me that no European factory is going to close down just to feed an indirect tax machine across the pond.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:09 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Winegums
The only people VW was deceiving was EPA, as customer I'd be pretty happy if my car had more power. It's not like they were giving the customer a product that was potentially dangerous or cheating them.
I'm happy that you like the extra power, but you are now driving a car which fails US clean air standards. I don't know how this will go down, but unless you get a waiver, you will be compelled to spend $X to meet the standard when you take your car in for the emissions test. I believe the maximum is $500 in MD. Also, at some point in time a patch will be applied which will result in a significant reduction in gas mileage and power.
Bottom line is that you were deceived and are entitled to compensation.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:24 PM
Winegums
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast1
I'm happy that you like the extra power, but you are now driving a car which fails US clean air standards. I don't know how this will go down, but unless you get a waiver, you will be compelled to spend $X to meet the standard when you take your car in for the emissions test. I believe the maximum is $500 in MD. Also, at some point in time a patch will be applied which will result in a significant reduction in gas mileage and power.
Bottom line is that you were deceived and are entitled to compensation.
Then it's a good thing I don't live in the states, I don't own a 2.0 TDI and there's no longer emissions testing in BC, Canada.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:26 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by Winegums
Then it's a good thing I don't live in the states, I don't own a 2.0 TDI and there's no longer emissions testing in BC, Canada.
You're already suffering with that dollar.. lol
Old 09-24-2015, 06:26 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
"So far Volkswagen has not been accused of deliberately programming its cars to fool European regulators."

Until they are accused, the 11 million number is a red herring, and the involvement of the EU nations is a moot point. Assuming no foul, there will be little harm outside of the US.

Different story in the US, however cutting into 6% of their global sales is not going to break them. And as stated by others, fines will not be levied to an extent it will bankrupt the company, either here or abroad. Nobody wants factories closing in TN and impacting numerous domestic suppliers with an election coming up...
The 11 million is a red herring? The article's first sentence: A scandal that has battered Volkswagen’s image in the United States spread to the automaker’s core market in Europe on Tuesday, when the company said that 11 million of its diesel cars were equipped with software that could be used to cheat on emissions tests
So unless European clean air standards are significantly lower than the US, the removal of the deceptive software will likely mean that VW diesels will also fail European clean air standards. Since VW has reserved over $7B to fix the problem, I doubt that the problem is as insignificant as you may suggest. Moreover, since Germany is looking into the possibility of filing criminal charges, I doubt that they are taking this issue as lightly as your post suggests.

Finally, there will certainly be class action suits, and I guarantee you that the law firms initiating the suits, couldn't care less what impact their suits will have on the viability of VW.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:28 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Good perspective

Originally Posted by Rennaissance
Who can tell me what happened to Ford, GM, Lexus, etc... All the companies that killed people by negligence and then fraudulently tried to cover up?

A few hundreds of millions of fines later and the companies are still here. Stronger than ever.

What happened to PG&E after San Bruno pipeline? A secondary share issue later, they are still a regional monopoly, milking people more than ever over "sustainable" energy and digital meters.

Just because some petty bureaucrats at the EPA are hurting to see their technocratic fantasies finally encountering reality does not mean that Angela Merkel is going to preside over Europe's number 1 car maker going down or moving to China.

VW will get legal protection against the EPA and class actions in exchange for Google being let off the hook in Europe. All the turds who have been cluelessly wondering why is their Diesel so stinky and so fuel efficient at the same time will get just enough money to pay their lawyers off, and maybe not even that.

Yes, sure, shareholders will take a big hit as usual (I mean those bureaucratic dimwits have been eating the rich ever since Marx wrote his masturbation manual), but believe me that no European factory is going to close down just to feed an indirect tax machine across the pond.
The political implications between the EU and US are potentially significant in this matter. Facts are not yet out, but did VW have the same program in its small European diesels? if it did, the EU will not be forgiving.The whole thing is incredible. Guess the German engineers are not so smart after all. Just hope that the financial hit will not derail development and production version of the Mission E. Maybe the development of electric vehicles will have to accelerate and if the Porsche CEO gets the top job, which appears likely, my bet is that he pushes electric across the brands, with Porsche models in the lead.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:30 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
So unless European clean air standards are significantly lower than the US...
They are.

The line I quoted was towards the end of the article. The journo was hoping nobody would read that far.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:33 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
They are.
Reference please.

Quick Reply: Any Porsche fallout from the VW fiasco?