Porsche Announces Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 09:33 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Talking Porsche Announces Sedan

Wiedeking announces that Porsche will add a sedan to the model line-up.

He said- “We are thinking about a fourth model range, and we have good ideas,” he said. “But if the car we have in mind comes to the market, we will have fewer friends than we have today,” he joked, a reference to the competition the car would pose to other automakers.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:32 PM
Jessa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche's getting greedy after seeing the initial success of their SUV. Its a slippy slope that could ultimately lead to them becoming "just another car company".

I'd like to see Porsche make a true low-cost sport coupe. No luxury, very small, and very light weight. Manual seats, windows, etc, you get the idea. By cutting out all the extras and taking a smaller margin, the base model could start around 25 to 30k USD. With Porsche engineering and build quality, it'd be killer and far more people could afford to buy them new.

This would give Porsche bigger sales without taking away from who they are as a carmaker. There would also be a generation of initiated P-car buyers starting out sooner in life, and likely to move up the line later on.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:44 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 150 Likes on 81 Posts

If you read the actual article, you'll find that they have NOT announced more than a fourth product line, which MIGHT be a 40door OR a 4-seater coupe. THe way we know Porsche, it is well possible that these developments will run in parallel for a while, be based on similar components, and then when the time comes a decision is made as to what "package" to offer the technology in.

Just give it some time - we'll find out soon enough!
Old 09-17-2003, 01:20 AM
Flint
Three Wheelin'

DoubleNutz, are you feeling? Are you... a SENSE OFFENDER?

In other words, I like the addition to your signature line.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:31 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Flint
DoubleNutz, are you feeling? Are you... a SENSE OFFENDER?

In other words, I like the addition to your signature line.
Dude...I am feeling ...the ultimate Sense Offender!

I feel like Neo there blowing away fake Porschephiles and 928 critics!
Old 09-17-2003, 02:30 AM
Minus000
Instructor

Quote from article:

Two 1970s-era Porsche models, the 914 and 924, were flops in large part because they were built around VW components and powerplants.

Hardly a flop. In the late 70's sales declined on sportscars, Porsche needed something to keep there financial loses minimal. Being economical and a fresh design, the 924 was the answer to the gas crisis and sold extremely well in its prime.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:52 AM
SL8GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

From one of our Mercedes-Benz moles:

Rumor is that Porsche is developing a Jag Fighter too, a V8 Coupe' with foor doors codenamed E2. "The E2A is a 2+2 coupe, while E2B is a four-door sports wagon/shooting brake" according to Issue 488 April 2003 of "CAR" magazine. "Both are powered by the V8 Cayenne, and both have the potential to be offered in rear-wheel drive or four-wheel drive." Theirs may have rear-hinged doors similar to the new Mazda RX-8 but unlike the CLE which will have doors that open conventionally. Porsche originally made an attempt to build this car with their "989" prototype developed in the mid-nineties. At that time the board of directors turned down the car saying it was "too far away from their sports car tradition". After the Cayenne, they must be thinking differently. If this car makes it to the market, Mercedes may not be standing alone with their "Jag Fighter"....
Old 09-17-2003, 04:28 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Is it going to be THAT good looking, or more like the Cayenne? THAT's the big question...

Old 09-17-2003, 08:06 AM
Normy
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Jessa-

Porsche is developing other models because it takes quite a bit of money [and thus sales] in order to 1. Develop new sports cars, and 2. Stay independent.

Like you, I think they should concentrate on small, inexpensive cars. Previous to my 928, I owned a VW Corrado. THIS was the car that Porsche should have sold- it did everything right, and was based on off the shelf parts. One of the car magazines back around 1992 even said in their article on the car that this would have made a perfect Porsche.

Unfortunately for us, the market for small, sporty cars disappeared. Though I bet they could resurrect quite a bit of it, it still wouldn't likely support them.

Porsche does run the risk of diluting the message. When I talk cars to non-Porschefile friends, I always mention the Cayenne in passing- and it generates universal sneers, despite the fact that this is actually a pretty good car and not that expensive in the end.

Porsche's are about sportiness and style. As long as their 4th and perhaps 5th lines have both in copious quantities, it should work.

One other fact about Porsches: No matter how good the car, or how independently it was produced....people are ALWAYS going to call it an "overgrown Volkswagen".

Oh well~

N!
Old 09-17-2003, 10:54 AM
Don '85S3
Racer

Rumor is that after the sedan, they're coming out with a pickup truck complete with a sticker on the back window of a guy pissing on a BMW.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:09 AM
ErnestSw
Rennlist Member

Finally, some class!!
Old 09-17-2003, 11:45 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Normy
Jessa-

Like you, I think they should concentrate on small, inexpensive cars. Previous to my 928, I owned a VW Corrado. THIS was the car that Porsche should have sold- it did everything right, and was based on off the shelf parts. One of the car magazines back around 1992 even said in their article on the car that this would have made a perfect Porsche.

Once again I am glad we are entitiled to our opinions here beacuse I disagree. Porschse has their "small inexpensive sports car and few here (on the 928 list) own one . Can we get a show of hands of Bosxster owners out there (if you are not too embarassed to admit it)? How much lower can we expect Porsche to go and still maintain the level of quality we desire from a Porsche.

When it was released last year that Porsche may perhaps build a model underneath the Boxster (be it fact or fiction) there was an overwhelming disapproval of the concept...both here on the list and in circles of discussion where Porschephiles congregate- "Dont we have the Boxster already?", "Where did the performance synonymous with the name of Porsche disappear to?", "Next it will be Minivans!", Waaaaa!, Waaaa!, Waaaa!," and among all that noise the low roar of- "BRING BACK THE 928! It should have never been discontinued" (even though you sold less than 75 in America in the last year of its production- who cares if Porsche goes the way of Rolls Royce, LandRover, Lamborghini, et al, and potentially soon Ferrari? Just give me WHAT I WANT and then let me decide if I want to buy it or a Nissan 350Z!).

I think you guys whine way too much and commit to very little from our beloved car manufacturer....

Last edited by DoubleNutz; 09-18-2003 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:04 PM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

How can we commit to anything, if everytime we look a one of your posts, we get shot in the face?
Old 09-17-2003, 03:41 PM
Rufus Sanders
Burning Brakes

It just seems like Porsche is playing on its fame and name and don't know what their buyers would purchase. No, I wouldn't want a 4-door coupe. A 2-door would be great. If they really mean it, they'll take a few clues from our favorite car, but until I see this thing, I don't even care what they "say"... - Ruf
Old 09-17-2003, 05:12 PM
ErnestSw
Rennlist Member

Porsche has two choices; either become a mainstream car manufacturer or be taken over by one. Grow or die. In the world of international finance it's too profitable to survive!
Do you think the Corvette guys give a rats a$$ what GM does at the bottom end?

Quick Reply: Porsche Announces Sedan