Notices

Porsche Announces Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 06:24 PM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's all this "woe is me" for Porsche? Aren't they the most profitable car company in the business?
Old 09-19-2003, 02:33 AM
pikey7
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe though they're bringing back a model with the engine in the right place............ THE FRONT! (j/k)
Old 09-19-2003, 08:54 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs up

Let's see a cheap, fast coupe that can kick the *** of all those other annoying good and cheap cars (scooby, Honda thing, RS, etc). Oh wait a moment; isn't that what they are planning with the Boxster coupe!

If they want to build a good, sports saloon then why not - it hasn't harmed BMW. It's either that or get swallowed up by a big player and end up as a re-shelled Lincoln (Jaguar), re-shelled Jaguar (Aston Martin), etc, etc.

Cheers,

David
Old 09-19-2003, 08:11 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

If they want to build a good, sports saloon then why not - it hasn't harmed BMW.
Do you really think of BMW as a sports car manufacturer? I think you just proved the point
Old 09-19-2003, 08:34 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 4 Door sedan pic mock up is sooooo photoshop it's ridiculous....LOL
Old 09-19-2003, 10:07 PM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

My turn: do Porsche people really think that a sports-car slotted below the Boxster would ruin the companies image? I would LOVE a smaller, stripped-out coupe or roadster powered by a mid-mounted (or rear-mounted) flat-4 version of the Boxster engine. This car would sell in large volume so it wouldn't need to be priced at $80K+ like the Cayenne is... if anything can ruin a companies image, it's producing an over-priced, steroid-induced, me-too SUV with poor styling and horrible resale values. Are you listening W.W.?
Old 09-21-2003, 12:20 AM
Rufus Sanders
Burning Brakes

Wow, since this thread got moved, it's really "perked up"! I can't possibly see how Porsche would retain respect if they built "normal" cars.

Hell, they lost a ton of it, when they stopped building true Sport Prototype Racers after the 962. The Boxster was a retro for the 550 days, and the Cheyenne is a plain bad decision by desperate management.

They really need to get back to the roots: Porsche - The best sports cars on Earth. I actually believed that when I decided to get one. I'd like to keep thinking it's true.- Ruf
Old 09-21-2003, 09:38 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheyenne??? That's funny...most people that don't own p-cars call it that in lieu of it's actual name "Cayenne", like the pepper not the Indian tribe... Whether you think production of that car was a mistake or not which has been discussed "Ad Nauseum", most people who understand 21st Century economics recognize the value of the Cayenne to bring significant revenues to a company that will only ensure continued development and availability of their refined sports cars. Besides, without the Cayenne, Porsche could eventually end up being owned by one of the big three in Detroit. What would you say about Porsche then???
Old 09-22-2003, 04:35 PM
Geneva
Banned

Originally posted by Nicole
Is it going to be THAT good looking, or more like the Cayenne? THAT's the big question...

Oh no..

They cant possibly do that.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:03 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen this 4 door car before...and if I'm not very much mistaken, it was designed BEFORE the 996 was launched. It is about 10 years old. The article I read discussed how close it looked to the 996 model. I guess that's why we can all look at it and wonder if it is the 'next' Porsche.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:28 PM
Sean Hall
Racer

As a product marketing manager for a large corporation, I look at products as a set of features positioned in the marketplace. I believe Porsche needs to build an *enthusiast* car positioned aside the boxster, not one above or below it.

The key here is 'enthusiast'. Porsche lost this aspect of its products when it made its cars difficult/impossible to work on and modify by the DIY/lead user market. This started with the 993, and continued with the 996.

The early 70's 911s and 914s are the best examples of successful enthusiast cars from Porsche. When the market value on these cars came down, many ppl picked them up and turned them into race cars or modified them for the street. In addition to the bolt on performance parts that came out of Porsche's racing effort, lots of cars in the market meant shops/tuners where continuing to develop the cars, and offer bolt on upgrades.

The domestic and japanese automakers are capatilizing on this. The infiniti G35, Mitsu Evo, Dodge SRT-4, and others are all examples of cars geared towards the enthusiast crowd. The competition in the low end(30-40k) is just beginning to heat up. If Porsche doesn't respond, other corporations will have product offerings to pick up the slack.

One other thing, the Porsche brand equity will not be cheapened by a quality low-end product. If you're unsure, think about a Dodge Viper parket next to a 996, and answer these questions:
- Which ones is the low end car?
- Which one is the Dodge? Uh?

Sean
Old 10-03-2003, 10:55 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Here's the new Porsche 4 door sedan. It's the Porsche Paprika

And yes I know it's a photoshop job!
Old 10-04-2003, 02:09 AM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Geeze I don't see what all the hoopla is about. At one time Porsche used to make tractors. This didn't seem to hurt their image much. Guess what, Ferrari used to make tractors too. Besides who cares, I didn't buy mine for image or status. I recognized the 951 as unique one of a kind engineering compared to domestics. Available at a ridiculously low price. Besides I am not interested in any of the new stuff Porsche makes. Finally, car manufacturers are in the business to make biggest profit possible. Porsche is no exception. From what I've been reading lately they are taking short cuts here and there cutting back on quality even on their high end products just like their competitors.
Old 10-04-2003, 01:31 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Ive got the solution. Buy Pre-1994. That 996 looking thing is hideous. )just my measly .02)
Old 10-05-2003, 02:20 AM
meanmaroon951
Racer

I know what would shut a lot of people up about the sedan :if they mounted a twin turbo charged version of the v10 engine out of the New carrera big huge brembos all round and a 6 speed sequential transaxle

Quick Reply: Porsche Announces Sedan