Notices

Porsche Future

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 07:26 AM
997GT2
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Future

What do you think is Porsche stopping the Cayenne production? I hope so!
Or is Porsche making a Next-Generation Cayenne? I dont hope so!

Come on i love all porsches, but the Cayenne NO WAY Porsche must built supercars not offroads
Old 05-20-2004, 10:32 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 414 Posts

Okay, you're a new user, two posts. Where did you come from? This has been beat to death ever since the development of the Cayenne started.

Do you own a Porsche? If not, go by a vette and have some fun...you'll fit in well over there...
Old 05-20-2004, 11:10 AM
997GT2
Cruisin'

Iam from Germany
Old 05-20-2004, 02:08 PM
Wet1
Instructor

Maybe he fits in well there!
Old 05-20-2004, 02:10 PM
Wet1
Instructor

BTW, I agree that Porsche should not be building SUV's... especially joint venture SUV's.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:05 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

OK we're all sport car people and not SUV people. But the pepper is keeping the company well in the black to fund the 997 and 987. And from what I read the turbo and S are not to be sneezed at-keep me away from the new VW 6. So it was a good business, if not emotional, decision. Wait till the four door comes out-then what, as wagon?? Unfortunately for Porshe the oil prices are putting a major dent in SUV sales.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:05 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Not a sarcastic question - do you really like Porsche's and understand the history of the mark? If you do, then you'd realize that if they don't produce something that makes the company a ****load of money, they'll be gone.

I for one, LOVE the Cayenne! In fact, there isn't a Porsche I've ever seen that I wouldn't love to own. They all have a little heart and soul of Mr. Porsche.

Now to answer your question about Porsche only building supercars - to me, and lot's of folks, the Cayenne IS a supercar. It's a super SUV. So why shouldn't the fastest and best SUV in the world be a Porsche?
Old 05-20-2004, 04:22 PM
SandyI
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you driven a Cayenne?
Nothin' wrong with the Porsche crest on that bad boy.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:44 PM
Wet1
Instructor

Originally posted by SandyI
Have you driven a Cayenne?
Nothin' wrong with the Porsche crest on that bad boy.
Would there be anything wrong with VW putting their name (and logo) on a 911?

I agree Porsche has to make $$$ (which they've done up to this point w/o a SUV), but I just don't agree with them producing SUV's (does Ferarri or Lambo???) when this is not their field. IMO, that's like Jeep or Hummer (when they were private companies) producing endurance road racers!!! And I sure as hell don't agree with Porsche using a VW clone as their SUV!

And yes, I know the SUV was a joint venture...
Old 05-20-2004, 04:52 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

//sigh

Anyone realize that neither Ferrari nor Lambo are indepedent companies? Would you rather Porsche be owned by VW or GM and have no Porsche SUV...or live with the Cayenne and have Porsche remain indepedent?

Easy choice in my mind.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:56 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Kurt - good info!

I wonder what the chatter was when the 924/944/928's came out? I bet it was all the same whining, with different car names inserted...

<END SIGH>
Old 05-20-2004, 05:03 PM
SandyI
Racer

Didn't Ferrari survive for a number of decades on the profits from POS Fiat econoboxes? And doesn't the same company who makes Jeep, also makes the Viper, which is quite competitive on the track? Once you drive the Cayenne, you'll understand the difference between the Porsche and the VW version. The Cayenne is a terrific SUV and unlike previous Porsche joint ventures like the 914 and the 924, the Cayenne is a leader in its category.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:04 PM
Wet1
Instructor

Originally posted by sasilverbullet
Kurt - good info!

I wonder what the chatter was when the 924/944/928's came out? I bet it was all the same whining, with different car names inserted...

<END SIGH>
And what did those models do for Porsche??? Are they still made? Hmmm, wonder why? Because they just about put them six feet under! Don't get me wrong I love the 944 turbos (I've had two) & 928, but I don't think Porsche will every say they were a good business decision.

And... I'm not saying the SUV is not nice, I just question whether they should be making them based on Porsche's history of this type of project. I just think they are diluting their name and repeating their own bad economic choices (see 914, 924...).
Old 05-20-2004, 05:09 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know tomorrow morning I am going to hate myself for taking the bait, but...

You better hope Porsche does not stop production of the Cayenne. It invested millions in the production facility at Leipzig (through debt financing) and to let it go idle would bankrupt the company.

As long as Porsche keeps producing top tier sports cars, why do care if they make an SUV. Looking at the Carrera GT it is obvious the Cayenne did nothing to undermine their ability to design and build the best performance cars in the world.

People blame the Cayenne for Porsche's withdraw from racing, but that's not really the case. It was a business decision and racing has not been demonstrated to be an effective means of advertising or generating sales.

Don't even compare Porsche to Ferrari or Lamborghini. Those two companies are not even close to achieving the success of Porsche. Compare revenues, profits, or any other financial yardstick. Remember, Porsche is a business - it has stockholders - it needs to make money.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:34 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

urgh !!!

Quick Reply: Porsche Future