Notices

Porsche Future

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 08:53 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanna see some pictures that will show you what a Cayenne can do off road?

Then check ou the book by "Delius Klasing" publishing titled "Cayenne" and I think you will be pleasantly surprised and then read this months issue of "Motor Trend" where the Cayenne S outperformed other "PUV's (Performance Utility Vehicles) who are barely able to go off onto a trail!

Oh what am I doing here, I gotta go out and RIDE
Old 05-23-2004, 12:08 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Joe,

Definitely no hard feeling. Just expressing my thoughts.

I am certainly supportive of Porsche offering a full lineup of vehicles. I see Porsche as an independent car company like BMW and Mercedes. Just because Porsche ONLY produced sports cars for its first 40 years doesn't mean it has to stay like this forever. By the way, as most of you know, it also produce bicycles.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:01 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Targa Tim
By the way, as most of you know, it also produce bicycles.
I'm waiting for them to get back to Tractors again!
Old 05-23-2004, 11:11 AM
Joe Anstett
Racer

Originally posted by JFScheck
Wanna see some pictures that will show you what a Cayenne can do off road?
Jeffrey Behr replied to my inquiry in the Cayenne forum, and pointed me here and here. Very scenic. to Jeffrey and "GM Austin" for venturing onto the trails and putting his Cayenne in peril.

However, this picture illustrates the articulation problem that hurts the TReg and ML:

In a vehicle that has open differentials, getting the wrong two wheels in the air means you're stuck and calling for the tow strap. I think the TReg has an optional rear locker, not sure about the Cayenne.

Congrats on the new wheels, JFSheck. Bring that thing up to Paragon (www.paragonap.com) some time and we'll go wheeling. They have open trail rides with professional guides on the first weekend of every month.

Last edited by Joe Anstett; 05-23-2004 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:10 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Joe Anstett
Congrats on the new wheels, JFScheck. Bring that thing up to Paragon (www.paragonap.com) some time and we'll go wheeling. They have open trail rides with professional guides on the first weekend of every month.
Now that sounds like a great ideal! I will have to trade shoes to the 18's for a little more "sidewall"

There is an optional package for the Cayenne (help me out guys) that "unlocks" the control arms and allows for full articulation....
Old 05-24-2004, 09:26 AM
Joe Anstett
Racer

Now that sounds like a great ideal! I will have to trade shoes to the 18's for a little more "sidewall"
If you want to do this more than once or twice, it might not be a bad idea to get a 2nd set of cheap rims that you don't mind scratching and put some good all terrain or mud terrain tires on it. That would also be a good idea for winter driving if you have high performance summer tires on your Cayenne. You might also be able to gain a little ground clearance with bigger tires.

There is an optional package for the Cayenne (help me out guys) that "unlocks" the control arms and allows for full articulation....
Probably a quick swaybar disconnect, that will help allow the front wheels to articulate more independently. I haven't disconnected my swaybar yet but it's supposed to help a good deal.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:37 AM
Joe Anstett
Racer

Toby Pennycuff also has some offroad pictures here
Old 05-24-2004, 10:15 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I ordered my Cayenne with the 19's, but already have a pair of 18 Turbos with the TPS system already installed and ready to go for winter, might throw an agressive Off-Road tire on them, the perfect rims and I won't mind if they get banged up!
Old 05-24-2004, 10:20 AM
Wet1
Instructor

JFS,
I think you are one of only a handful of people that would take your Cayenne offroad... I applaud you.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:57 PM
997GT2
Cruisin'

Hello plz look at my tread
Old 05-24-2004, 08:19 PM
heybiff
Instructor

Default my own .02

I am a relatively new Porsche owner, but according to some fuzzy memories I have my car isn't a real Porsche, it's a 951 btw. I vaguely remember when I was a kid that water-cooled Porsches weren't considered real Porsches and got the same treatment as the Cayenne is getting now.

But the fact is 924's and 944 kept the company solvent. This I assume everyone can agree on. Whether it was good for the company's image or not it kept the doors open.

The Boxster and Cayenne are doing the same thing today. Lots of sheep are getting the opportunity to own a Porsche on their own terms. Most drivers (in the US) never use their car for it's intended purpose, this is a fact. BUT that doesn't stop Joe Average from buying what apparently a lot of people feel are cars too good for him.

Something else to consider is that a lot of us are buying a car that isn't our daily driver. It WILL last for a long time. I personally don't have any plans to ever buy another Porsche. They will never get any more money from me. My car will not wear out. If my Porsche were a daily driver, then perhaps in 5 years or so when it does start wearing, I would go back and try another Porsche daily driver. They get an opportunity to make more money from me.

I'm not from the 356 or 914 era, and I'm not a big fan of the 911's looks. But I do like the looks of my 951, and love the look of the 928 and 968. Outside of the watercooled forums thats enough to get you burned at the stake. We all should be happy when a new member comes into the fold, regardless of what vehicle brings them in. We all can't drive 911's, nor do we all want to. Then we'd be just like THEM, now wouldn't we?

heybiff
-please excuse misspellings and random run on sentences.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:41 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

OK, I'm jumping in too.

When I first heard of the Cayenne, I too was skeptical, but when I saw MB and BMW making SUV's I felt that PAG would be foolish not to make thier own SUV (given they were the first to develop the 4WD)!

Since I live in Northern IL, I can't enjoy my 911 in the winter (the way that I'd like too ), so I was really pumped up about getting one of these new all year/terrain Porsches (especially after reading about the extensive and amazing engineering that was involved in its lengthy development).

Until you experience the Cayenne S or TT (I've never tested the V6) you'll soon be convinced that it is the one for you - similar experience for me when test driving a 911 for the first time IMHO.

Old 05-28-2004, 11:17 PM
beemaze
Instructor

It's called the "Advanced Offroad Tech. Package" which, in addition to unlocking the front and rear stabilizers, also has rocker panel skid plates, engine, fuel tank, and rear axle protection, and an additional tow lug!
Old 05-29-2004, 01:18 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Lambo DOES make SUVs
Old 05-29-2004, 06:18 PM
Joe Anstett
Racer

Originally posted by Mike Markota
Lambo DOES make SUVs
Well, they used to (the LM002). According to their website, the only current models are the Murcielago and the Gallardo.

Quick Reply: Porsche Future