Notices

Long Live ICE

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 09:52 PM
Runner
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Prime
Porsche are targeting a whole new group of customers / buyers with this upcoming platform.

-They will probably outsell the current 718 ICE several times over
-They probably will be at full capacity for years
-They probably don't care for any current 718 customers wants or demands if it brings huge revenue growth for the company
-They probably expect the ICE diehards and brand lovers to transition into 911's

I estimate they are targeting 911 volumes with this. 80,000 units P.A

You're giving way to much credit to the EV world.

How's that going for the Taycan?

Interesting how Tesla tried a sports car and it failed. The most capable EV company doesn't provide a sports car. They know their consumer base well. EV isn't for the sport car enthusiast, rather for the ones that see transportation as a necessity, not pleasure.

Last edited by Runner; 03-16-2023 at 11:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Odin (03-18-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 10:42 PM
slivel
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by greatfox315
TL;DR new things are scary!

In case you weren't aware, there is 5-6 times as much energy stored in your gas tank (a combustible, highly volatile liquid) than there is in the battery of a Taycan. But don't let facts get in the way of your fear.
Somewhat scary:
Teslas Flooded During Hurricane Ian Are Spontaneously Igniting in its Aftermath (roadandtrack.com)

Flooded Tesla EVs From Hurricane Ian Exploding All Over Florida (msn.com)

WATCH: Tesla catches fire in Florida after getting drenched by Hurricane Ian | WFLA

Be careful of the flooded roads in California right now. Actually, I believe you shortchanged the energy density of gasoline compared to Lithium-ion state of the art by volume or by weight. More than 5 or 6 times.

As I said, I might buy an EV if they fix some issues and satisfy my needs for a sporting vehicle. I'm not closed minded on this, just realistic.
IndigoInkTaco (03-20-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 11:15 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,066 Likes on 518 Posts

We have had 100 years on how to make gas tanks and their motors not explode so often or catch fire as easily as battery operated counterparts. I will stay ICE as long as I can, and maybe add a mild hybrid with a like a 200 pound battery for my daily driver.
The following 3 users liked this post by lovetoturn:
Larry Cable (07-11-2023), Z06jerry (03-18-2023), Zhao (03-16-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 02:17 AM
Manual991
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
So the 982 is still going to be sold in 2025 and 2026 is what I read there. Doesn't say what engines though and I read that as there is zero chance the 983? comes withe ICE engines. They're also holding off the 911 EV until 2030. Sounds like they know the EV sports car sucks hard in it's current form and needs a lot more time to get good.
A Panamera GTS 4L twin turbo V8 gets my vote 473HP
Old 03-17-2023, 02:27 PM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 120 Posts

The car manufactures are not listening the Current Driver Base, they are looking at the Future Driver Base. They target those steeped in the new thinking about how great EV's are and ignoring the source of the electricity for those cars.

They will have to mandate EV's to get more people on board with them. Do you know many people who's only car is an EV who commutes to work daily? I don't care about those who take mass transport all week and then virtue signal on the weekend with their 100k EV. Just about everyone I know who has an EV here has another super sedan or two or an huge SUV to drive as well. One person I know who got an EV as her daily found out the hard way more than once that was not a great idea. Fortunately her spouse had a gasoline car to pick her up each time.

Mike

Old 03-17-2023, 03:27 PM
greatfox315
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Aronis
The car manufactures are not listening the Current Driver Base, they are looking at the Future Driver Base. They target those steeped in the new thinking about how great EV's are and ignoring the source of the electricity for those cars.

They will have to mandate EV's to get more people on board with them. Do you know many people who's only car is an EV who commutes to work daily? I don't care about those who take mass transport all week and then virtue signal on the weekend with their 100k EV. Just about everyone I know who has an EV here has another super sedan or two or an huge SUV to drive as well. One person I know who got an EV as her daily found out the hard way more than once that was not a great idea. Fortunately her spouse had a gasoline car to pick her up each time.

Mike
I only have EVs as dailies, it's not hard
Old 03-17-2023, 03:33 PM
greatfox315
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
We have had 100 years on how to make gas tanks and their motors not explode so often or catch fire as easily as battery operated counterparts. I will stay ICE as long as I can, and maybe add a mild hybrid with a like a 200 pound battery for my daily driver.
Unless you're driving around with a puncture-resistant racing fuel cell, your 100 years of development is not going to make your fuel tank any less likely to leak (and catch fire) in the event of an accident. What it will do is expose you to all manner of toxins/carcinogens that will shorten your life slowly.

Last edited by greatfox315; 03-17-2023 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:26 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,789 Likes on 978 Posts

^ Seriously? You don't even have to go back very far to find massive improvements in fuel tank and ICE safety and prove your opinion false.

Larry Cable (07-11-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 11:03 PM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 403 Likes on 186 Posts

EVs have a political mandate driven by the media, politicians and environmental interest groups. Younger buyers and others who considerer themselves socially aware may be more inclined toward EVs as it is the cool thing right now and they think are helping to save the planet not to mention the virtue signaling and peer group pressure. When one tells these folks that there is no such thing as a "0" emission vehicle even if the electricity comes from a nuke because they are very dirty environmental problems with the mining of materials to make these things, you get looks of disbelief or are labeled as some type of "denier. "
EVs are being forced upon people and the companies that make them. It does not appear that the technology is really there to implement this type of transition on a massive scale, yet these points are often glossed over with other problems that the EVs have like excessive weight, range and in some cases problems getting insured. Good grief, an EV Hummer weighs in at 9000# lots of potential energy turning into kinetic energy if one of these things hits a Prius.
Porsche is being forced by the EU to change to EV s to stay in business, yet they will cling to an ICE 911 as long as possible. It will be interesting to see if Porsche's E-fuel idea gets traction.
The following 6 users liked this post by patdonahue:
Bearrun21 (03-18-2023), IndigoInkTaco (03-20-2023), MEM82 (03-18-2023), Randy_B (03-18-2023), virdoc (03-18-2023), Z06jerry (03-18-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-17-2023, 11:07 PM
Manual991
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by patdonahue
EVs have a political mandate driven by the media, politicians and environmental interest groups. Younger buyers and others who considerer themselves socially aware may be more inclined toward EVs as it is the cool thing right now and they think are helping to save the planet not to mention the virtue signaling and peer group pressure. When one tells these folks that there is no such thing as a "0" emission vehicle even if the electricity comes from a nuke because they are very dirty environmental problems with the mining of materials to make these things, you get looks of disbelief or are labeled as some type of "denier. "
EVs are being forced upon people and the companies that make them. It does not appear that the technology is really there to implement this type of transition on a massive scale, yet these points are often glossed over with other problems that the EVs have like excessive weight, range and in some cases problems getting insured. Good grief, an EV Hummer weighs in at 9000# lots of potential energy turning into kinetic energy if one of these things hits a Prius.
Porsche is being forced by the EU to change to EV s to stay in business, yet they will cling to an ICE 911 as long as possible. It will be interesting to see if Porsche's E-fuel idea gets traction.
+1000
patdonahue (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 02:01 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,031 Likes on 552 Posts

Well said.

Most car manufacturers are jumping on the EV band wagon because it is the ‘right’ thing to do. Save the world.

Did we already forget about diesel? Wasn’t that supposed to be the savior?

If you look at the total environmental impact that starts from mining of the minerals to recycling obsolete EV/ batteries. It is not as green as one would think.

There is a lot of wishful thinking out there in response to the aggressive timelines mandated by the governments.

Once we are into solid state battery, the range issue should be much better. But we are not there yet.

Last edited by Dyim; 03-18-2023 at 02:03 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dyim:
patdonahue (03-18-2023), Randy_B (03-18-2023), Z06jerry (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 12:01 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Did you cut and paste talking points from Newsmax?

Tired old arguments and oversimplifications. But I understand, as it must be hard to see with your head buried so deep in the sand.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
Bents (03-18-2023), MaddMike (03-21-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 12:49 PM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 403 Likes on 186 Posts

No I just took a clear eyed view of information that is available. I would be interested in you proving anything I said was wrong or are you just going to make an ad-hominem remark and disappear without adding anything useful?

Last edited by patdonahue; 03-18-2023 at 12:52 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by patdonahue:
BlazinPond (03-18-2023), Dana R (03-20-2023), MEM82 (03-18-2023), virdoc (03-18-2023), Zhao (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 02:15 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,789 Likes on 978 Posts

He'll disappear. He never proves anything he says, it's all just strong opinions pulled from his black and white world.

Case and point: Still waiting to hear how the mission R eats the clubsport for lunch. 1000hp vs 400hp and what are the lap times again?
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
BlazinPond (03-18-2023), patdonahue (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 02:34 PM
slivel
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

My impression of world priorities:
  1. Reduce fossil fuels use
  2. Transition to EV's
  3. Build charging infrastructure
  4. Expand generating capacity (without using fossil fuels)
Seems like it might be a difficult transition without re-ordering the priorities.
The following 2 users liked this post by slivel:
Bearrun21 (03-18-2023), redlineblue (07-12-2023)

Quick Reply: Long Live ICE