Notices

Long Live ICE

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 03:03 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 703 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSPYDER23
There are many issues surrounding EVs, but for mass market adoption, there are two primary issues 1) cost, and 2) charging network. I know. I work in the industry...

Regarding cost, solid state batteries are coming in a few years. When this occurs, the price of an EV Toyota Camry will be less than the equivalent ICE Toyota Camry. This will be a game-changer.

Regarding charging networks, most EV users will finally understand that they mostly use a car for daily comminuting which is well within the EV range, and solid state batteries will 1) increase range, 2) decrease cost, 3) lighter and 4) charge faster. Plus, the federal government is currently vastly increasing the chargers along the interstate highway system over the next few years, which will nicely tie in with solid state battery introduction.

When these two issues are solved, you will see massive EV adoption.

For the record, even though I work in the EV industry, I still love my Spyder that I just bought! And, I will not personally buy an EV until the issues above are solved, which will happen in 2-4 years.
I hope this comes to being.... Yet I still feel forced adoption is not good. Make a better "mousetrap" and it will sell - no need for the Government to mandate them. Give folks the choice.

Old 03-27-2023, 03:05 PM
GTSPYDER23
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
I hope this comes to being.... Yet I still feel forced adoption is not good. Make a better "mousetrap" and it will sell - no need for the Government to mandate them. Give folks the choice.

I TOTALLY agree with you. I live in CA, and I hate the way the state government is forcing this down our throats. Terrible. And to give Newsome my personal middle finger, I bought my Spyder!
Old 03-27-2023, 03:06 PM
rj2014
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 88 Posts

There are many issues surrounding EVs, but for mass market adoption, there are two primary issues 1) cost, and 2) charging network. I know. I work in the industry...

Regarding cost, solid state batteries are coming in a few years. When this occurs, the price of an EV Toyota Camry will be less than the equivalent ICE Toyota Camry. This will be a game-changer.

Regarding charging networks, most EV users will finally understand that they mostly use a car for daily comminuting which is well within the EV range, and solid state batteries will 1) increase range, 2) decrease cost, 3) lighter and 4) charge faster. Plus, the federal government is currently vastly increasing the chargers along the interstate highway system over the next few years, which will nicely tie in with solid state battery introduction.

When these two issues are solved, you will see massive EV adoption.

For the record, even though I work in the EV industry, I still love my Spyder that I just bought! And, I will not personally buy an EV until the issues above are solved, which will happen in 2-4 years.

You are forgetting one more important thing. We currently do not have the grid capacity to support wide spread adoption of EVs. Unless that improves, there is no point building all the charging networks. As someone noted above, California is already facing rolling blackouts. It's only going to get worse as EV adoption grows. A good product never needs forced adoption. TVs, Refrigerators, smart phones, laptops, tablets etc etc never really required mandates to be widely adopted. Govts can always incentivize something via tax breaks but that is different to mandates and I suspect majority of the current mandates will be loosened as time goes on and the ever so "efficient" govts realize that we are not ready for full EV adoption just yet.
The following users liked this post:
kwikit356 (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 03:19 PM
GTSPYDER23
Racer

Originally Posted by rj2014
You are forgetting one more important thing. We currently do not have the grid capacity to support wide spread adoption of EVs. Unless that improves, there is no point building all the charging networks. As someone noted above, California is already facing rolling blackouts. It's only going to get worse as EV adoption grows. A good product never needs forced adoption. TVs, Refrigerators, smart phones, laptops, tablets etc etc never really required mandates to be widely adopted. Govts can always incentivize something via tax breaks but that is different to mandates and I suspect majority of the current mandates will be loosened as time goes on and the ever so "efficient" govts realize that we are not ready for full EV adoption just yet.
Yes, you are 100% correct. That is a problem. But, I think that most folks will be charging at night, and there is more spare capacity. The REAL and ONLY solution is actually nuclear, but the tree huggers won't allow it.

The following 2 users liked this post by GTSPYDER23:
kwikit356 (03-27-2023), sdillon (03-29-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 04:28 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,789 Likes on 978 Posts

People will charge overnight, but they'll plug it when they get home at 5pm, right before they turn on every appliance in their house for peak power usage time. Going to need lockouts during peak hours or something.
Old 03-27-2023, 04:42 PM
rj2014
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 88 Posts

Yes, you are 100% correct. That is a problem. But, I think that most folks will be charging at night, and there is more spare capacity. The REAL and ONLY solution is actually nuclear, but the tree huggers won't allow it.
Sure, if you own a home. What happens to the majority of people that rent? they have to go out in the day and charge it.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:06 PM
GTSPYDER23
Racer

Originally Posted by rj2014
Sure, if you own a home. What happens to the majority of people that rent? they have to go out in the day and charge it.
Sure. Practically speaking, mostly only home owners can afford these EVs so far. But for renters, we are seeing more higher end apartment complexes install chargers.

But true, if your rental complex does not offer chargers, there is no way that I would buy an EV.
The following users liked this post:
rj2014 (03-27-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 08:36 PM
pinion
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 118 Posts

It’s going to be a long road. Here is hoping that Porsche still makes plenty of ICE cars for the years to come. I know I will keep buying them.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/the-ev-tra...ned-2659602311
Old 07-11-2023, 07:31 PM
greatfox315
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
We have had 100 years on how to make gas tanks and their motors not explode so often or catch fire as easily as battery operated counterparts. I will stay ICE as long as I can, and maybe add a mild hybrid with a like a 200 pound battery for my daily driver.
Just following up on this with a recent article I read about EV fires:

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...about-ev-fires

Good to dispel disinformation and FUD like the above.
Old 07-11-2023, 07:44 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,283 Posts

As weather worsens, I won’t be surprised to see world govts seriously clamp down on fossil fuels. It’ll be a knee jerk, panic move, but I bet it will happen. And it’ll be too little too late, anyway.

And for the record, no one hopes I’m wrong more than I do.

Last edited by Adrift; 07-11-2023 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-12-2023, 12:00 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,789 Likes on 978 Posts

Originally Posted by greatfox315
Just following up on this with a recent article I read about EV fires:

Good to dispel disinformation and FUD like the above.
Old news. Already posted info and broke it down into more detail. If you want to 'dispel disinformation' you need to stop being part of the problem by posting tribal misleading info like that that only is the tip of the iceberg on why people care about EV fires. Motortrend will write whatever you want as long as you're willing to pay for it too; they have in the past and it's a proven fact.

EV fires and ICE fires are apples to donuts for multiple reasons but some major factors are: age of the fleets, you're comparing 2 year old cars to decade+ old cars. Severity of the fire. When the fire can happen. What happens when the fire happens.

People saying EV fires are a problem are not morons. You ever wonder why EV's are now getting banned from race tracks all over? It's something big brains and number crunchers have analysed and made decisions on.
Old 07-12-2023, 04:29 AM
skafia
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 295 Posts

Everyone should get an EV so my gas car looks that much cooler on the road.
Old 07-16-2023, 06:34 AM
greatfox315
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
Old news. Already posted info and broke it down into more detail. If you want to 'dispel disinformation' you need to stop being part of the problem by posting tribal misleading info like that that only is the tip of the iceberg on why people care about EV fires. Motortrend will write whatever you want as long as you're willing to pay for it too; they have in the past and it's a proven fact.

EV fires and ICE fires are apples to donuts for multiple reasons but some major factors are: age of the fleets, you're comparing 2 year old cars to decade+ old cars. Severity of the fire. When the fire can happen. What happens when the fire happens.

People saying EV fires are a problem are not morons. You ever wonder why EV's are now getting banned from race tracks all over? It's something big brains and number crunchers have analysed and made decisions on.
I can tell by your post that you didn't read the article. All of what you said was mentioned in a very well-written piece. You should educate yourself and not be afraid of differing points of view.
Old 07-17-2023, 05:42 AM
Declan99
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just about everyone I know who has an EV here has another super sedan or two or an huge SUV to drive as well. One person I know who got an EV as her daily found out the hard way more than once that was not a great idea.
Old 01-07-2024, 08:14 AM
Bmwlovers
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I doubt

Not seeing any changes

Quick Reply: Long Live ICE