Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:02 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

If anybody is interested I have my old XFX Radeon 6970 for sale. Looking through completed listings and current bids on eBay, they're going for anywhere between 210-275 + shipping.

I'll let it go to an RL'er for $200 shipped to the contiguous US. Have the original packaging, works great, never overclocked it. I've also got a couple "active" mini-DP adapters, I'll toss one in if you're interested (one is a mini-DP to HDMI, one is a mini-DP to DVI). You'll need one for triple monitors.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:03 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JustinL
I'm just glad there are other people here who have been banished to the basement or a closet.
Oh yes LOL. Dark dank unfinished basement. And I was double-banished... my original location in the basement still transmitted too much noise throughout the house, so I had to move it to the dark far corner where all the spiders live.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:23 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just glad there are other people here who have been banished to the basement or a closet.
haha yess. i am in the basement as well i dont mind i can blast the surround sound.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:02 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess I should thank my wife for being understanding, I keep my rig in the living room.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:03 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

I have been waiting for the Obutto cockpits to come in. I haven't pre-ordered yet but hate the fact that if I did they would not be shipping for two months.

I have a den upstairs I will relocate to when I get a chassis. I am a bachelor so I will be cranking it up. I also won $1200 on the super bowl board so, in essence, I won the chassis with the 3 monitor set up. Way good for me!
Old 02-04-2014, 01:53 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
I guess I should thank my wife for being understanding, I keep my rig in the living room.
I used to, before I was married. I got sick of looking at it and eventually moved it into my home office.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:06 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ny991
I have been waiting for the Obutto cockpits to come in. I haven't pre-ordered yet but hate the fact that if I did they would not be shipping for two months. I have a den upstairs I will relocate to when I get a chassis. I am a bachelor so I will be cranking it up. I also won $1200 on the super bowl board so, in essence, I won the chassis with the 3 monitor set up. Way good for me!

Volair sim

Not the greatest.

But cheaper and I'm very happy as it has ALL accessories included in on price

Same design as GT omega
Old 02-04-2014, 02:31 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm going to host one tonight at 8pm EST I think for 4 hours. I have a meeting from 8-9pm so I'll be late. It's scheduled. Password is rennlist

Last edited by abqautoxer; 02-04-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:37 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ny991
Well I can see one reason I am slower than Justin!
I'm one of the group who think that the equipment actually does make you faster. Any lag introduced into your perception is going to make you slow to react to what is going on, because the information you are being fed is a few milliseconds old. If your wheel is late giving you forces, your monitor is telling you about what happened a moment ago, and your inputs back into the physics engine are delayed, it's going to slow you down. Some delay is inevitable at every level, but minimizing the delay will let you react faster. If you can perceive what I call micro-slides earlier, you can keep them from turning into real big slides or spins. To be fast you need to be close to these micro-slides without letting them get away from you.

Triple monitors give you the ability to have a more realistic field of view, which gives your eyes a better sense of parallax movement. Again this gives your brain the more subtle bits information that you can't see with a single monitor. Having a wide field of view also lets you run harder in traffic because you know where people are, the big drawback is that I make the mistake of thinking everyone has the same field of view and I'll get too close to people who might have no idea where I am.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:43 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Triple monitors give you the ability to have a more realistic field of view, which gives your eyes a better sense of parallax movement. Again this gives your brain the more subtle bits information that you can't see with a single monitor. Having a wide field of view also lets you run harder in traffic because you know where people are, the big drawback is that I make the mistake of thinking everyone has the same field of view and I'll get too close to people who might have no idea where I am.
What he said. I really feel like when I switched to 3 monitors helped a lot. The reasons above but also I feel like I can judge car rotation a lot better. This is two fold in that 1. I can run the proper FOV since I can see wider so there doesn't have to be a fish eye effect to be able to see more around me and 2. I can more easily judge car rotation to know when the car is rotating too little, too much, or just right and make proper inputs. That allows you to rotate the car better under braking and acceleration and not lose the car. When you see someone carry a lot more speed through a corner, its typically they are able to rotate the car more and then carry more speed in and out and the 3 monitors helps with that IMO.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:57 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tasracer
Volair sim

Not the greatest.

But cheaper and I'm very happy as it has ALL accessories included in on price

Same design as GT omega
Thanks for pointing that out! I like this better than the Obutto and appears to be a better value as I do fly World of Warplanes so I can switch to pilot more pretty easily. Sounds like you are happy with it?

We are about to move to a new house and I'll have much larger mancave and be able to use a sim cockpit like this.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:11 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The volaire comes complete

But the mount for the wheel is not that sturdy

See inside Iracing vid review on you tube

GT omega and others copied design
Or volaire copied them
Any ways many make the same design

GY omega made side braces for wheel desk mount

I just ordered those hope they fit the volaire

But volaire comes complete with keyboard tray
And shift mount and flight throttle mount

But GT u can get speaker mounts not volaire

I should just go to china and design my own and sell it!

GT omega has version 2 that has separate trip monitor mount that can be brought closer or father instead of fixed and they made the wheel mount more sturdy both big improvements

But they omitted keyboard tray! Doh!!!

Why can't someone just build the right one?
Old 02-04-2014, 03:49 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

Arghhh, Volairsim deliveries out to mid-April too. It goes to show you how popular this stuff is getting.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:56 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The GT Omega pro setup looks nice, but after shipping all said and done I'm just shy of $900.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:06 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

It stinks my options are so limited. Since I PC game, sim race, and sim flight, a standard cockpit is very undesirable since they don't do the PC thing very well. I don't have a budget to turn this PC into a dedicated cockpit PC, so something like the Obutto Rev or this Volair Sim some of the few sub $1k options I have other than the wheelstand/desk thing I do now. My only problem with the desk thing is my monitors are too far away and too high. I also screwed up and bought clamp style mounts rather than a stand. Lessons learned.

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread