Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 11:32 AM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Sysgen
I have a strange feeling he's a friend of yours
Nope I don't even recall his name. I've just seen people run off before by such things, that is my one and only point.

I don't have a Daytona setup, I thought of flipping the LRP setup but there are quite a large number of right handers to do that.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:34 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I found my LRP setup was biting too hard and pulling the rear end out at Daytona. Also it did not like the banked sections.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:39 AM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Did you happen to mess with the aero much? That will certainly be a big factor compared to LRP. Who can run trimmed out and thus fast on the NASCAR sections.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:40 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

I did not, I only ran a few laps and called it a night. I'm going to check out some of the setups on the iracing forums tonight or tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:52 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

I have a couple setups that work pretty well. One is from Bedros and one is one I made. The trick is to start with minimum wing angle and leave the gurney on. I've never found that taking the gurney off gets me more lap time.

Lime rock is a very tough track, not from a lapping perspective, but there is really only one place to pass. I had to wait behind people to make a safe pass, some for a couple laps. I'm cool with that because I refuse to do a high risk, low reward move. It really comes down to both people cooperating to make things as smooth as possible if they aren't actually racing for position. Gator let me by super easy and we both save time, then he catches my draft for a few minutes. Other lapped traffic I had to 'put a move on' into T1, and we both lose time.

I didn't have too much trouble with spun cars rejoining, but that comes down to luck. If you see the yellow, hear the warning, or see the cars ahead in trouble, treat it like real life. Don't hammer the brakes, or go in full blast, but back it down to 8/10ths in case you need to change your line. If you find yourself off track, make sure you wait for a safe chance to get back on track. Try not to come back on perpendicularly, but try to blend back in.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:03 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I think the key thing to remember is to NOT overdrive the car. Treat it like you would in real life. Everybody needs to tip toe the start, give room. Bullying your way through the pack at the drop of the green won't work, it will cause pileups. Give MORE room than you would in real life - remember most folks are running with a basic monitor, or even 3, they don't have quite the peripheral vision that they would in real life. And If you are continuously having spins, offs, or rolling your car - you need to tone it down. That's the way to get the most out of it

No Daytona sets yet. But I'm still fairly convinced there are more issues than just the wrong dashboard when it comes to the RUF at Daytona in the dark. Yes, it's definitely the wrong dash.. but there have been times where I've jumped into a Daytona Night session and while the Track skin, motor, trans, were all there... the car handled like a Cup. And I've also done times where I've loaded the Cup, but got the Track motor and gearing.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:20 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

All I'll say about the radio is what I said last night - some people turn voice chat off when they're in the car. If you've ever tried to do an official race in a room full of people who won't shut up, it can sometimes be REALLY distracting.

Up until I started racing regularly with the RL guys here, I had voice chat disabled. We get pretty chatty too... the only reason I've decided NOT to disable it again is because I'm using the Oculus Rift and cannot see the text chat. Voice chat is the only way I have to communicate to everybody.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:28 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

The voice chat can be distracting at times, but usually during the race the only chat we get is a go ahead to pass or a request to pass.

Anyone who needs help with settings whether it's car setup, voice chat, text chat, graphics, sound, etc. Feel free to post and ask, if you're not comfortable with that shoot one of us a PM. Justin, Jim, Sean, or myself are always willing to answer questions. Same thing if you need help with your racing line, braking points, etc.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:38 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe

Anyone who needs help with settings whether it's car setup, voice chat, text chat, graphics, sound, etc. Feel free to post and ask, if you're not comfortable with that shoot one of us a PM. Justin, Jim, Sean, or myself are always willing to answer questions. Same thing if you need help with your racing line, braking points, etc.
Absolutely.

I have a blast with this group and the iRacing service and want to be sure everybody has as much fun as I do.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:12 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I might be able to join up tonight, and if so, if no one already has one set up, I can host a session at Daytona (if we want to start practicing for next week)... or I can pick something else if it's just entirely for fun.

Wife working the late shift tonight so I should have some time. Tough part will be deciding between running some laps or trying to finish up my next paint....
Old 01-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
The voice chat can be distracting at times, but usually during the race the only chat we get is a go ahead to pass or a request to pass.

Always here to help. I cant wait to see a replay from last night. Im really sorry I missed it . Sounds like it was an eventful evening.

During practice I can be a bit chatty at times but during a race we should really use chat sparingly. F3 is the default for the relative box. Use it all the time.

If your a slower car, hold your line and the faster car will pass. If your the faster car, the slow guy probably knows your coming up behind him. There is no need to announce every pass. If you wouldn't do something in a real race, you probably shouldn't do it here either.
Also if you are a lap or 2 down, that's probably not the time to get racy with guys on the lead lap. Yes you might be faster, but chances are its not going to end well for either of you.

I have a really nice setup for Daytona Ill share. I did not make it, so it should work for others
Old 01-16-2014, 01:29 PM
George_B
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi All,

I hope I am not the one who is at fault here, but I did have my chat turned off during qualifying and during the race. I do find it distracting, BUT in the future I will leave it on.

I started 19th last night and got up to 11th, I knew that meant that there were faster cars behind me that would be catching me at some point. I haven't watched the replay yet to see if I cut someone off in turn one, but my steering got slightly damaged and then I made a few errors trying to enter the pits. things went down hill from there and since I knew a points finish was out of the question I dropped out rather than cause any further issues. If I caused any frustration to any one please except my apology .

Looking forward to trying again next week

Best Regards,
George (SpeedBump)
Old 01-16-2014, 01:47 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Don't worry George, no one is "at fault". We're all going to make mistakes through the season and all we can do is try and run as safe as possible within our skill levels. Things should go more smooth next week on the bigger track, taking it easy on turn 1 is very important.

We had our largest turn out last night and I'd like it to stay that way.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:51 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
No Daytona sets yet. But I'm still fairly convinced there are more issues than just the wrong dashboard when it comes to the RUF at Daytona in the dark. Yes, it's definitely the wrong dash.. but there have been times where I've jumped into a Daytona Night session and while the Track skin, motor, trans, were all there... the car handled like a Cup. And I've also done times where I've loaded the Cup, but got the Track motor and gearing.
We were supposed to be in the Track in the Daytona session I hosted directly after the LRP race, and it certainly didn't feel like the track... Hmmmm.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:57 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by baddogz28
We were supposed to be in the Track in the Daytona session I hosted directly after the LRP race, and it certainly didn't feel like the track... Hmmmm.
No - it sure as heck didn't. Felt very much like the Cup.

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread