Help displaying gear # on SmartyCam via Solo DL

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 11:59 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Help displaying gear # on SmartyCam via Solo DL

I am trying to figure out how to get the gear # to show up in my overlays. I've got my CANbus data showing properly but can't get gear # to display -- see the screenshot below.

I see from this post (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post13305551) that there is a calibration procedure but I can't find where to do this -- is this on the SmartyCam or in the Solo menu? Here's a cut-paste from the post:
It's calculated gear based on RPM and speed.

Set Solo DL up in RS2 Configuration by specifying number of gears. Then you will have to run a calibration in your car.

Getting There
Menu>
System Management>
Restart Gear Calib>
Let System Clear, Exit All Menus>

Calibration
Start driving while going through all gears across a reasonably wide rpm range -- smoothly without any hard launches or wheel spins. Note: after calibration, gear position cannot be displayed at low RPM, i.e. < 1,500. Check your gear calibration by setting up a custom screen displaying gear position.
Thanks everyone.

John

Old 09-19-2016, 12:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

John, in the pit lane, crank up the Solo, select Menu, select System Management, Select Gear Calibration, then press select. It's ALL on the Solo. The camera just takes the info from the Solo.

Go through the gears at least five seconds each without letting the car drop back to idle, then, drive normally.

Come back into the pits and shut the car off (remove the RPM signal).

The Solo will then calculate which RPM goes with which gear.

May have to do it a few times to get it right. Once set, you're done.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-19-2016, 12:42 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

Peter, how do you do this for the EVO4? Mine has me constantly in 6th gear Thanks
Old 09-19-2016, 12:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Steve, in the G-Dash, go to menu, system information, restart gear cal. Will send you the link and post it here in a moment.

http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...ce_109_eng.pdf

Last edited by ProCoach; 09-19-2016 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Posted link
Old 09-19-2016, 06:11 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

If it's one of the cars in your signature, you should get the gear on the CAN bus and not have to do the gear calc. Make sure the Gear Sensor boxes on the right of the setup screen show ECU, not calculated. Also, in the Smartycam functions (top(ish) right, make sure the gear channel is selected as PSH_GEAR.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
If it's one of the cars in your signature, you should get the gear on the CAN bus and not have to do the gear calc. Make sure the Gear Sensor boxes on the right of the setup screen show ECU, not calculated. Also, in the Smartycam functions (top(ish) right, make sure the gear channel is selected as PSH_GEAR.
PSH_GEAR doesn't come through on the cars I have tested.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:50 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
PSH_GEAR doesn't come through on the cars I have tested.
To the OP - If it doesn't come through, then you have to make sure the gear channel is calculated and remember to change the Smartycam output.

If you still don't get it on the video, make sure to check your data to see if it's there. If it's not on the video and in the data, then it's the camera config that is not right.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:03 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

Here's a link to the AiM instructions. http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...ce_109_eng.pdf I'm on my third attempt with the GT4. Almost got it, sent info while in the garage at WGI, I believe I did not hold 1st gear long enough and all gears shown on video are one gear too high.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yep, Bill. That is the link posted further up and the latest directions.

A lot of people push the clutch in while they're rolling down the pit lane at 35+ mph coming in from the setup lap(s). When the logger reads speed but few RPM's, it gets confused. Since it does the calculation AFTER the RPM is lifted (cut off), it remembers the last relationship between speed and RPM to set the gears.

The most important thing is to make sure the RPM's track speed in EACH gear with as much fidelity as possible. No zings up during up shifts, not to big blips going down, and NO period where the RPM is close to idle while GPS speed of any kind is being read...
Old 09-22-2016, 01:21 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts

Is anyone else able to get into the menu when their engine is on but with the car stopped? I can't. The only time I can get the menu option is when I have the ignition switched on but the engine is off. Not something I want to do on pit lane.

Here's what the manual says:

How does SOLO work when I race…

Solo behaves differently according to its settings. First of all, we have to know that SOLO starts recording when the speed increases. So, if the vehicle does not move, even with the engine ON, Solo does not do anything, you can normally enter the Menu etc. When Speed reaches 20 km/h, SOLO changes mode and starts recording all the parameters.

Seems like I should be able to get into the menu with the engine idling.

Quick Reply: Help displaying gear # on SmartyCam via Solo DL