Sponsored by:

The first honest 992.2 review?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM
Shem_one
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 15 Posts
Default The first honest 992.2 review?

I'm a big fan of Luke'svideoa, he cones across as a very honest YouTuber.

​​​​​I am looking forward to test driving it but this video has demotivated me a bit.

-annoying electronics
-start stop button
-digital display
-power steering dies on him
​​

Thoughts?
The following 3 users liked this post by Shem_one:
Honza (Today), soguinness (Yesterday), tourenwagen (Today)
Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM
fanboy
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 44 Posts

He mentioned some things like speed monitoring that I'm not sure is active in the US (at least yet). Plus, he wanted to disable LKA, but that's an optional feature I was careful to avoid, so no worries there. The disabling auto start/stop is an ongoing issue with more than just Porsches. I'm hoping to get that coded out. As far as the power steering goes, that is troubling, but there's not enough data yet to determine if it's an anomaly.

It's an interesting video, but one person's experience is just that.

Frankly, if the EU safety "features" are going to bleed into the US (looking at your California), this might be the last new sports car I order. I don't need somebody over my shoulder "keeping me safe from myself".

Last edited by fanboy; Yesterday at 05:54 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by fanboy:
Booth9999 (Today), Butzi (Yesterday), soguinness (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM
Shem_one
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fanboy
He mentioned some things like speed monitoring that I'm not sure is active in the US (at least yet). Plus, he wanted to disable LKA, but that's an optional feature I was careful to avoid, so no worries there. The start/stop is an ongoing issue with more than just Porsches. I'm hoping to get that coded out. As far as the power steering goes, that is troubling, but there's not enough data yet to determine if it's an anomaly.

It's an interesting video, but one person's experience is just that.

I couldn't find any info on the speed limit option, I am hoping it is an option. I have LKA in my Targa and it defaults to off when I start the engine. I manually have to turn it on, it looks like that is not the case with the. 2's.

At the end of the day, I think I'm just going to sit it out the. 2 and wait for the 994.

Cheers
The following users liked this post:
Butzi (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I have watched many of his videos, and agree he appears to be honest, maybe even pro-Porsche? Great post-production.
But here, I think he should have held off posting and given the dealership time to diagnose the issue.
So, what was his motivation? Clicks? If so, it takes away from his "journalistic" integrity...if that exists in social media.
Hope he didn't fill out a JD Power survey.
The following users liked this post:
2SG5 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM
Brad Stinson
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 66 Posts

I’d say the opposite, if he didn’t disclose the power steering issue out of “protecting” the brand, he’d be throwing away his journalistic integrity. It’s very much a US thing where journalists feel this “need” to protect large corporations, I suppose because they don’t want to bite the hand that feeds them. Dangerous situation for consumers.
The following 4 users liked this post by Brad Stinson:
Booth9999 (Today), Butzi (Yesterday), InfiniteSmiles (Today), Larson E. Rapp (Today)
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brad Stinson
I’d say the opposite, if he didn’t disclose the power steering issue out of “protecting” the brand, he’d be throwing away his journalistic integrity. It’s very much a US thing where journalists feel this “need” to protect large corporations, I suppose because they don’t want to bite the hand that feeds them. Dangerous situation for consumers.
Yes, agreed. I was not suggesting he not mention it but include the solution in the original video. Now we have to wait for a Part Deux = more clicks.
Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

991 generation wil be the future 964!
The following 5 users liked this post by Indyxc:
Booth9999 (Today), Butzi (Yesterday), detansinn (Today), incoming992s (Today), soguinness (Today)
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM
MAXFPS
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Pretty sure some of his issues are non-issues. On my ‘24 Cayenne with essentially the same PCM, you have to be logged into the car as a user in order for it to save your settings preferences. Most loaner/press vehicles aren’t set up like this and I’ve seen several reviews where the PCM is in “guest” mode. My Cayenne gave me that speed warning- first day. I turned it off immediately and I’ve never seen it again. LKA is easily defeatable with the small button on the bottom of the left stalk. You hold it in, the LKA icon goes from green to grey with a slash thru it, and will stay that way thru multiple trips unless you re-enable it.

He’s coming from his own GT3, so almost any 911 is a downgrade at that point. If you’re going to hate on digital gauges, you probably shouldn’t review new cars for a living and stick to the classics.

The power steering going it is very concerning, and I’m glad he left that in and also glad he said he’ll update it. The power steering plus option for this car is super cheap because it’s literally just a software enablement Porsche can charge $200 for. Hopefully that means his steering failure is a software glitch instead of a hardware failure.

I have this exact 992.2 in Lugano blue and chalk interior coming in, so I loved the up-close look at it. And I’ll ask the dealer to look for any bulletins on the power steering (which I’m getting).
Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM
McNamara
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by MAXFPS
He’s coming from his own GT3, so almost any 911 is a downgrade at that point. If you’re going to hate on digital gauges, you probably shouldn’t review new cars for a living and stick to the classics.
This is the key here. He's lived with some amazing GT cars for a while now. I'm sorry but especially with the inflated prices these base cars are just not going to impress the same way. What's more, the nannification, while I'm sure not entirely Porsche's fault, is taking us backwards from an enjoyment standpoint.
The following 2 users liked this post by McNamara:
C21ban (Yesterday), soguinness (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 938 Likes on 523 Posts

Why did he order LKA? Everyone disables start/stop by either switching to sport or individual mode. The issue of the speed warning in the EU was mentioned here before, not sure if that is present in the US. Things like that are only going to get worse in the EU as their government basically hate the ICE powered car and personal transportation in general. The US is just a few years behind them, so buy now or stay in the pre-owned market for the rest of your life.
Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nyca
Why did he order LKA? Everyone disables start/stop by either switching to sport or individual mode. The issue of the speed warning in the EU was mentioned here before, not sure if that is present in the US. Things like that are only going to get worse in the EU as their government basically hate the ICE powered car and personal transportation in general. The US is just a few years behind them, so buy now or stay in the pre-owned market for the rest of your life.
It was a loaner from Porsche Switzerland.
Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,694 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Porsche really needs to ease up on the cross platform component sharing with the things that the driver can see and/or feel. Instrumentation and Haptics are a huge part of what has made a Porsche a Porsche for a long time. It's as if Porsche decided that the 914 was the perfect marketing strategy. If Porsche wants to compete with Ferrari or any other super premium cars, this 992.2 is NOT the way to do this. IMHO, the 992.2 is now squarely competing with the Corvette, but at a significantly higher price point and maybe loosing the technological edge as well. If the 911 is going to remain an ICE powered sports car, Porsche needs to avoid adopting the look and feel of a Tesla or a Lucid interior..
The following 3 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
Ray K. (Today), rmb1973 (Yesterday), soguinness (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM
Smoothoperator
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

he said it is the first 911 that will depreciate as soon you drive out from dealership. That is concerning...
The following 2 users liked this post by Smoothoperator:
Booth9999 (Today), soguinness (Today)
Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM
inthesticks
Racer

Received 365 Likes on 129 Posts

Nothing I’ve seen from the .2 has made it more desirable to me than the .1.

I think the changes were more to help Porsche cut costs and increase production efficiency than to benefit the driver.

Did people ask for an all digital dash or a push button start? I cant imagine they did.

There were some nitpicks,(for example the wet warning is telling you to switch to wet mode, so dont expect it to go away when you switch to sport mode.). But God help us in the US if we have that speed monitoring thing…
The following 2 users liked this post by inthesticks:
Bluehighways (Today), soguinness (Today)
Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,070 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by inthesticks
I think the changes were more to help Porsche cut costs and increase production efficiency than to benefit the driver.
Just like everything else, greed is ruining Porsche. It's no longer a scrappy sports car manufacturer with clearly defined values. It's a public company with a fiduciary duty to its shareholders. It's customers are only important to the extent that they can extract value from them. It's evident not just in the cost cutting measures. It's also in the numerous frivolous "special models", the constant and increasingly ridiculous price increases, and idiotic future plans, not the least of which is deciding that its next super car ought to be an EV. Does anyone even remember what it's called?

I swear, I may just say FU to pubco Porsche and buy only pre-997 911s from now on.

Last edited by Wilder; Yesterday at 10:10 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Wilder:
autozero (Yesterday), Butzi (Yesterday), InfiniteSmiles (Today), McNamara (Yesterday), michaelp (Yesterday), soguinness (Today) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: The first honest 992.2 review?