Notices

Lancia Delta Integrale HF 16

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 08:00 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Engine is still not running correctly. The motor cuts out at 4200 rpm. I have been working with the people at Walkers Garage and my friend to try and figure out why. As stated before, I bought a air/fuel ratio monitor and added a 02 port, added a fuel pressure gauge, which I have temporarily moved to the wiper blade so it can be viewed while driving and added a boost gauge.
I pulled the in tank fuel pump to make sure hoses were attached and it had a gap for fuel pickup, all was good, checked the crank trigger gap which was good, Fuel pressure good, coil good, grounds good.
With all that, ran car and it cuts out at 4200 rpm and had 50 psi fuel 18 lbs of boost and was between 13 and 15 on the air/fuel ratio, which is ok. Now I am waiting for the guys to send new ECU chip and any other items to check.

Hopefully we get it figured out soon.

Last edited by Blagave; 12-27-2022 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-04-2023, 06:26 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

While waiting for the new ECU eprom chip, I was given an excellent shop to do the alignment, so I loaded the car in my trailer and off we went to the shop.
As I expected the Lancia did not show up in the computer library for alignment settings. Luckily, I purchased a manual and it had the measurements in it. The new coil overs have camber adjustment, which we needed all of it. I got lucky with getting a guy that has done just about every type of car and was able to get the car within factory settings. The larger wheels and tires don’t leave much clearance, so I will have to keep an eye on that

The following users liked this post:
rutthenut (01-05-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 08:15 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Been in limbo while waiting for my ECU chip, which should be here this week.

I decided to make new rear mud flap mounts. The larger 17” wheels and 215 tires don’t leave a lot of clearance in the wheel well. The mud flaps on the car were mounted on the inside of the wheel well taking up valuable clearance.
I cut the old mounts out and fab up some new mounts that sit outside the wheel well. Now I have the maximum clearance.

Before

After

Last edited by Blagave; 01-17-2023 at 09:26 AM.
rutthenut (01-22-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 02:49 PM
Dinsdale Piranha
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blagave
Been in limbo while waiting for my ECU chip, which should be here this week.

I decided to make new rear mud flap mounts. The larger 17” wheels and 215 tires don’t leave a lot of clearance in the wheel well. The mud flaps on the car were mounted on the inside of the wheel well taking up valuable clearance.
I cut the old mounts out and fab up some new mounts that sit outside the wheel well. Now I have the maximum clearance.

Before

After

Nice mudflaps!
Old 01-29-2023, 06:54 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dinsdale Piranha
Nice mudflaps!
Hello my friend, its been awhile. I hope all is well.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:42 PM
Dinsdale Piranha
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Howdy partner! We're doing well, hope y'all are too. Sweet Little Lancia you got there. We caught the AWD bug too. Just finished a 2002 allroad 6 speed stage 3+ sleeper. Cheers
Old 01-31-2023, 06:10 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dinsdale Piranha

Howdy partner! We're doing well, hope y'all are too. Sweet Little Lancia you got there. We caught the AWD bug too. Just finished a 2002 allroad 6 speed stage 3+ sleeper. Cheers
No surprise that you have another very cool sleeper. My next build might be an Audi.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:32 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Update on the engine. I installed the new stock ecu chip and it did not fix the engine cutting out. Went through another series of tests to eliminate any possibilities and finally hit on the issue. The car has two map sensors, 1 bar and a 3 bar. The 1 bar sensor has been repaired with epoxy where the vacuum hose connects and was blocked. I drilled out the the hole and the engine performed as I hoped, Now I just need to get a new performance chip and find a awd dyno for final tune. The guys at Walkers Garage in the UK have been awesome working with me in trying to figure out the issue.

After finally getting a taste of how the car runs, I now understand what the Lancia owners have been saying about driving one. If you haven't driven one, then you don't know what your missing. Its really fun to drive and handles like nothing else..

Last edited by Blagave; 01-31-2023 at 08:33 PM.
rutthenut (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 04:55 AM
rutthenut
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blagave
After finally getting a taste of how the car runs, I now understand what the Lancia owners have been saying about driving one. If you haven't driven one, then you don't know what your missing. Its really fun to drive and handles like nothing else..
I've had an 8v and an Evo in the past, they were certainly great to drive, steering is so direct and car always feels nimble and responsive.
Can only imagine how great a modified one can feel.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:55 AM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 125 Posts

Hoping you are close to the finish line with the engine tune and thanks again for posting all your progress. I can imagine the frustration for you, but your detailed posts are a fantastic read for us. What a car. The want is strong.
Old 02-27-2023, 02:20 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Just found this thread doing some research as I too am putting back together a 16V. But my setup is very OEM vs yours and came to me from a Tokyo auction with all the parts. Just needed to remove all the worn out rubber items. My pics and info on my light restoration are here:

https://www.instagram.com/rocketjohn/

I wish you were up here in Colorado, would be nice to compare and share notes.
Old 02-27-2023, 02:30 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RocketJohn
Just found this thread doing some research as I too am putting back together a 16V. But my setup is very OEM vs yours and came to me from a Tokyo auction with all the parts. Just needed to remove all the worn out rubber items. My pics and info on my light restoration are here:

https://www.instagram.com/rocketjohn/

I wish you were up here in Colorado, would be nice to compare and share notes.
Looks like a clean car, should be lots of fun when all done
I put some pictures on instagram of my builds as well. https://www.instagram.com/huffman_motorsports/
Best of luck with your project.
RocketJohn (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 03:01 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for documenting and taking pics of your project, Helpful to see some other projects!
Old 03-02-2023, 06:10 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Been traveling a bit and just now getting back to the Lancia.
I sent back the performance chip since the car wouldn’t run with it, which is confusing to the guys in the UK, so just waiting for a new one before I can get the engine tuned properly.

Started making new mounts for the front mudflaps. The old mudflaps were mounted on the inside of wheel well and with bigger wheels and tires, under the right circumstances the tire would rub. I used the two bolt holes where the bottom of the fender mount to the floor pan, which made for a clean connection.

Last edited by Blagave; 03-02-2023 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-04-2023, 07:07 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Since I never got to drive the car before buying, I didn’t know anything about the drive train. I had the transmission rebuilt based on the unknown. I decided to repack the the CV’s with grease hoping for the best. I experienced a clicking noise on the passenger front and ordered a set of main hub bearings and inner and outer CV’s. I replaced both bearing and CV’s and fixed the issue. I will do driver side next. It’s just such a messy job to do, but worth it. My test drive was sooo much fun.

Quick Reply: Lancia Delta Integrale HF 16