Sponsored By:

2024 Homelink in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 09:49 PM
ambitin
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts
Default 2024 Homelink in reverse

I've had my 2024 Cayenne S for almost 6 months now and my biggest complaint remains the inability to close my garage door while backing out of the driveway. Because Porsche ditched dedicated Homelink buttons, you're at the mercy of the PCM to show the virtual Homelink buttons to let you open/close your garage doors. However, when you're in reverse, the surround view takes over the entire screen and there is no way view these virtual buttons or open/close your garage doors. I have to back out of my driveway, put my car in Park, wait 2-3 seconds for the PCM to decide to show the buttons, then carefully depress the button (it's not forgiving if you miss by half an inch) and wait for the garage door to close. Then go back into reverse and drive off.

This seems like a simple software issue to me and one that I hoped Porsche would fix over the 6-months of ownership.

Is anyone else fed up with this? Has anyone found a workaround? I complained to my SA about this loudly while at the dealership a few weeks ago but got blank stares. Has anyone heard if this is on any type of radar for a fix/improvement from Porsche? I'm now actively dissuading friends from buying 2024+ Cayennes because of this and I really hate doing that because I love Cayennes so much and think they would too.

Thanks for any info/updates!
The following users liked this post:
Orca911 (04-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 10:08 PM
Sammersam
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

I’ve had my 2024 Cayenne S Coupe for about the same amount of time. Have not heard of any fixes so I still use the old clicker I received when having my garage door installed. Annoying but don’t see that is a reason not to buy the vehicle. I understand the new ones have the Home Link back on the rear view mirror.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sammersam:
Fahrfun (02-20-2024), off (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 10:10 PM
Gus22
Instructor

Received 170 Likes on 88 Posts

Assign the diamond button to homelink. That’s what I did with my turbo s.
The following 3 users liked this post by Gus22:
bluonek1k (04-06-2024), mdrobc1213 (03-03-2024), stampineer (08-26-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 10:14 PM
Pointbye
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Old 02-05-2024, 10:45 PM
ambitin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gus22
Assign the diamond button to homelink. That’s what I did with my turbo s.
The problem is, I need the diamond view to activate surround view when I’m pulling into parking spaces more frequently than I need the ability to close garage doors when I’m in reverse. Also, I have two garage door openers programmed on Homelink and there is only one diamond button.
Old 02-05-2024, 10:50 PM
off
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

Porsche has heard the complaints and they iterated through '24 production, this time the physical homelink buttons are on the base of the rear view mirror.
donaldm241 (07-28-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 11:26 PM
ThomasWShea
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by ambitin
The problem is, I need the diamond view to activate surround view when I’m pulling into parking spaces more frequently than I need the ability to close garage doors when I’m in reverse. Also, I have two garage door openers programmed on Homelink and there is only one diamond button.
not sure of ur use case but surround view opens automatically even pulling into a space head first once something triggers the proximity rules.

my issue is i have the diamond allocated to turning off auto stop/start…

and I can’t even get homelink to work w my particular commercial building liftmaster opener, so i am using the separate clicker. i wish my 2024 had the buttons below the mirror. if it did i might try harder to get it going.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:55 PM
ambitin
Instructor

Originally Posted by off
Porsche has heard the complaints and they iterated through '24 production, this time the physical homelink buttons are on the base of the rear view mirror.
While I certainly want Porsche to fix this problem, I’m going to lose my mind if I find out that Porsche sold me a nearly $130,000 car that they knew needed this fix. Because, if they’re rolling it out already, that means they knew about it before they even manufactured my car. There is no such thing as a quick fix when it comes to changing this kind of feature.

Has anyone else heard that this change is happening?
Old 02-06-2024, 12:09 AM
ThomasWShea
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 342 Posts

While I certainly want Porsche to fix this problem, I’m going to lose my mind if I find out that Porsche sold me a nearly $130,000 car that they knew needed this fix. Because, if they’re rolling it out already, that means they knew about it before they even manufactured my car. There is no such thing as a quick fix when it comes to changing this kind of feature.

Has anyone else heard that this change is happening?
it has happened. My 2024 doesn’t have the buttons on the mirror, but cars now have the buttons. Someone in another thread knew the date of the switch, my car was made just prior. it is fairly annoying. where is my complementary mirror w buttons?!
Old 02-06-2024, 12:37 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,803 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Yes, bluephil17 took delivery on October 26, 2023 and reported 3 Homelink buttons under his mirror in this thread and posted this picture:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post19079227

ThomasWShea (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 10:04 AM
ambitin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Schnave
Yes, bluephil17 took delivery on October 26, 2023 and reported 3 Homelink buttons under his mirror in this thread and posted this picture:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post19079227

i’m not usually the dramatic type, but I find this outrageous. I am completely steaming right now. This design choice literally makes me choose not to drive the car versus my 2019. I will walk up to my desk and see two key fobs and I grab the 2019 key fobs because I think “I don’t have to screw around in the driveway trying to close the garage door“.

It’s all the more upsetting because I assume they will do nothing to make it right for the 2 to 3 months worth of owners who are stuck with the defective design. The very same loyal owners who took a gamble and ordered these cars sight unseen and paid deposits up to six months before we took delivery.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:07 AM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 580 Likes on 360 Posts

There is no such thing as a quick fix when it comes to changing this kind of feature.
Or is there. Would it be possible to install the mirror version with the HomeLink buttons? Would your Cayenne support it without changing wiring harnesses and coding?

It's pretty straightforward to install mirrors with HomeLink buttons on Toyotas that didn't come with them.

The mirror on my 2022 Cayenne was fairly easy to remove and reinstall when I installed a FITCAMX dashcam.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:14 AM
retom
Burning Brakes

Received 488 Likes on 293 Posts

This is weird. The solution is very simple. Porsche and Audi have the same HomeLink system. In Audi (HomeLink only on MMI screen - no physical buttons) there is a permanent icon on MMI. If you need to open the garage door when the buttons don't pop up automatically you need just to touch this icon to recall the HomeLink menu.
So simple and so obvious to introduce it also in Cayenne.

Old 02-06-2024, 11:18 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
This is weird. The solution is very simple. Porsche and Audi have the same HomeLink system. In Audi (HomeLink only on MMI screen - no physical buttons) there is a permanent icon on MMI. If you need to open the garage door when the buttons don't pop up automatically you need just to touch this icon to recall the HomeLink menu.
So simple and so obvious to introduce it also in Cayenne.

Better yet, why don't the buttons just pop up over top of the camera view with a little "X" in the upper corner to allow you to use the buttons and then close out without ever leaving the camera view?
Old 02-06-2024, 11:23 AM
retom
Burning Brakes

Received 488 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
Better yet, why don't the buttons just pop up over top of the camera view with a little "X" in the upper corner to allow you to use the buttons and then close out without ever leaving the camera view?
In Audi's solution you are not loosing the camera view or other currently display content. The virtual HomeLink buttons are popping up at the top of the screen and the display screen remains unchanged.

Quick Reply: 2024 Homelink in reverse