Sponsored By:

Porsche Export Hold

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 07:19 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 374 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedster
I for one am surprised and glad that Customs is checking cars thoroughly enough to identify sanctioned parts. Or maybe a whistle blower reported them. Regardless, the Ukrainian people are literally fighting for their lives against an invasion by Russia and Belarus has been one of their most supportive allies. I would feel terrible knowing that my new Cayenne was built with parts from suppliers with blood on their hands.

I also think that it is possible that Porsche might not have been aware that a supplier of theirs had shifted sourcing for one part in an assembly they make to meet delivery requirements or cost cutting purposes. There were huge issues with chips post Covid and that may have been the beginning of this issue.
I have seen similar things at my company in the past two years. Assembly suppliers are not always kept unformed by their own component suppliers about all changes. That's why they are audited by smart buyers with the resources. I expect that the people in Porsche's supplier compliance department are getting heat for missing this change or worse ignoring it. If management knew then there will be major repercussions.
if you would feel terrible about this there are probably a many other things going into any modern vehicle that are at least equal to this (if it is even something w belarus or not we don’t really even know), if not worse. just saying.
Old 02-08-2024, 07:29 PM
retom
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 229 Posts

I for one am surprised and glad that Customs is checking cars thoroughly enough to identify sanctioned parts. Or maybe a whistle blower reported them. Regardless, the Ukrainian people are literally fighting for their lives against an invasion by Russia and Belarus has been one of their most supportive allies. I would feel terrible knowing that my new Cayenne was built with parts from suppliers with blood on their hands.

I also think that it is possible that Porsche might not have been aware that a supplier of theirs had shifted sourcing for one part in an assembly they make to meet delivery requirements or cost cutting purposes. There were huge issues with chips post Covid and that may have been the beginning of this issue.
I have seen similar things at my company in the past two years. Assembly suppliers are not always kept unformed by their own component suppliers about all changes. That's why they are audited by smart buyers with the resources. I expect that the people in Porsche's supplier compliance department are getting heat for missing this change or worse ignoring it. If management knew then there will be major repercussions.
It's a pity that the customs office is able to identify this prohibited chip and Porsche's logisticians cannot. IMO there is no excuse for such an oversight.
If this chip is an element of the ECU, the entire controller will have to be replaced. And this is a very expensive game because the ECU costs about $5k.
Old 02-08-2024, 11:04 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by SOLI2D-1
My 2024 Cayenne Coupe arrived in Baltimore 01/05/2024 and now sitting.
I was informed last week - all Cayenne's on hold at port due to a switch interfacing with the PCM. A possible Customs/emission issue holding them up.
They Gave me an expected deliver of 04/15/2024 - so, a 16 week hold on my car. That seems excessive.
Anyone else having similar issues?
I see many are...
New hold due to customs likely will be next encountered...
Originally Posted by SOLI2D-1
I agree SQ8 is the closest for me - but Audi has gone a bit off the rails with their latest interiors, soo. that's out.
Wait is fine for me also.
Family has been surviving on only 1 car for the past couple of months - they all agreed to suffer with me.
What I ordered is the car I want.
After the Port guy rips it apart and slams it back together with the fix, hopefully I'll be able to tolerate the rattles..
Yeah but the fear here or likelihood is that the SQ8 would be subject to the same issues since its a VW product and if its a chip problem...I would not discount same chip has been used multiple platforms so almost any equivalent car one picked at this point may be at risk. So like you..I am okay with the wait as its the car I chose and designed..and ultimately ordered. Just hope that Porsche thru the dealer does offer some remediation for my and others troubles....give the wait and circumstances. When our last Cayenne (2015) was delayed during "Dieselgate" and ultimately denied sale...dealer did accomodate us pretty well; so i have some faith and experience in this situation.
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I saw my sales guy on Tuesday and his story was that there was a three month window in which the import certification of the chip in question had lapsed. So any chip that was manufactured in this three month window had to be replaced with one that had an updated import certification.

Whether this was a clever way to diffuse the issue I have no idea.
Same story but seems we not get a bit more info as it goes along. This was from today...so now at least Porsche has acknowledged that it happened and thus responsibility will likely be taken next for all potential owners..hopefully as it extends across multiple vehicles across the VW brand.

https://www.porschelouisville.com/custom-porsche/

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...ST_EMAIL_ID%5D

Yes agree....supply logisitcs has gone to hell in some cases and others become a lot more difficult during and post Covid19. Ukraine war and Gaza and now Red Sea shipping issues have cause some suppliers to loose that tight oversight of even what would seem like a simple issue as a chip certification and/or approval or sourcing for that matter. So yeah I expect someone at VW Group and across the brands responsible fo this is working overtime to find out how it happened as well as replacement sources that are approved to fix the cars for release. This will take time for sure to include possible production delays and diversions from other cars...but now especially due to the visability it will get fixed for sure! This was today and multiple other car outlets are also noting it..

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...ST_EMAIL_ID%5D
Originally Posted by retom
It's a pity that the customs office is able to identify this prohibited chip and Porsche's logisticians cannot. IMO there is no excuse for such an oversight.
If this chip is an element of the ECU, the entire controller will have to be replaced. And this is a very expensive game because the ECU costs about $5k.
Probably it was an oversight...chips purchased and traced for other purposes from unapproved custom source then ended up in Porsche's...probably may see other things banned from US importation as chips were probably used in tons of other goods like LED TVs, laptops, etc. Look at Apple Watches and the O2 sensor issues...import ban got even Apple to have to stop sale/import for their best selling and most high end Apple Watches right around Xmas time...still working on that but they got a release I hear minus that specific function. Sounds like Porsche's fix offered would be replace with proper certified chips or re-certify if possible what chip is already in the vehicle. Given the time and hold after the other software issue that may be part of the hold/delay previously. Suspect that come to think of it the software fix MAY be what have alerted customs and authorities to the chip problem as they tried to grapple that one...may have inadvertently uncovered the chip problem! Makes some sense as to why it happened now with all of these cars already made and ready to ship and also explain why EU still is getting cars delivered.
The following users liked this post:
Tedster (02-09-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 12:37 PM
jayshi827
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ihbond
so if you put a deposit down and have to wait longer in the United states, i wonder what next steps are to get the deposit back. Im not able to wait an addition 2-3 months..…..
I feel i have been more then patient wait 4 month on top of the additional import issue…..as i need to move out of the Macan and into a bigger suv for medical and dog situation……not mad..just need to make the pieces fit….
its a shame this is happening, to a few folks….
I asked my SA if I can cancel order and take deposit back... was told that is not possible. Do you guys have any suggestions?
Old 02-09-2024, 01:23 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jayshi827
I asked my SA if I can cancel order and take deposit back... was told that is not possible. Do you guys have any suggestions?
in most states they have to give it back. if u used a credit card, just call them and they will get it back to you. ideally the dealer should agree to do it particularly w the changes in timeline etc.
Old 02-09-2024, 01:38 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,581 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
. Look at Apple Watches and the O2 sensor issues...import ban got even Apple to have to stop sale/import for their best selling and most high end Apple Watches right around Xmas time...still working on that but they got a release I hear minus that specific function..
That wasn't an import ban. That's a patent issue. Apple was found to have violated patent law regarding the sensor, which they denied and appealed. And lost.
AVUS (02-09-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 08:22 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,201 Likes on 593 Posts

Regardless, the Ukrainian people are literally fighting for their lives against an invasion by Russia and Belarus has been one of their most supportive allies. I would feel terrible knowing that my new Cayenne was built with parts from suppliers with blood on their hands.
Thank you

Old 02-09-2024, 10:50 PM
ihbond
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Got the letter\email today as my cayenne /s arrived in San Diego today. Called the Porsche NA and they just said chip issue. I asked about Belarus part chip and tried to get more info. I have been following this post since it started, so i was curious to see what they would say. All they said was parts were being shipped, and that i should contact my dealership for updated info. How disappointing they did not have the same info as articles such as jalapolink to provide facts instead of a Politically correct response.I am fuming that i am working with a car company that is in support of Russia in “to Belarusian authorities' human rights abuses and support for Russia's invasion of Ukraine (as has the EU)”..just not sure what to think about the idea of profit over invaded country like Ukraine.. even if this vehicle is available in a day or two..i am not sure in good conscience i can stand by this anymore..i want to hear more info before i make my decision.
Old 02-09-2024, 10:57 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jayshi827
You can ask again and try to see if they will do so...in most US states they have to consider it but I have seen more and more custom order agreements with language that says they can keep your deposit at a certain point OR hold it until vehicle arrives and is sold sometimes with restock fees and such included. Not sure how legal they are or hold up when pushed but can imagine the costs of doing so and time may outweigh most challenges given how the US legal system can work sometimes with civil suits.
Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
in most states they have to give it back. if u used a credit card, just call them and they will get it back to you. ideally the dealer should agree to do it particularly w the changes in timeline etc.
That can work but sometimes the bank aligns with the seller/dealer especially when a signed agreement is presented from the two parties saying no refunds considered past a certain point. Have you considered maybe an offer t switch to another vehicle in stock maybe or CPO vehicle that is readily available? Maybe you can even get a deal to buy and then trade for your vehicle when it arrives for same purchase price. Not saying it will work as it would be purely based on dealer goodwill but hey what you don't ask you don't get so it doesn't hurt.
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
That wasn't an import ban. That's a patent issue. Apple was found to have violated patent law regarding the sensor, which they denied and appealed. And lost.
Yes I know wasn't trying to make a side by side comparison. just that Apple could not import them till fixed or ban lifted which acutely affected supply and surprised customers.
Old 02-10-2024, 11:40 AM
retom
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 229 Posts

However, one thing is strange to me. I have doubts whether Belarus is capable to produce highly advanced chips that can be installed in Porsche ECUs.
As a rule, for countries such as Belarus, Iran, Russia or North Korea, sanctions work the other way around.
ThomasWShea (02-10-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 11:52 AM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

good point something is odd and doesn’t make sense. we are not being provided good information. this is why i am so leery of the conclusion. i get that people r trying to put the pieces together, but holding a massive number of cars for a feel good reason such as “the people making the chip are mean because the country they are in supports another country we don’t like” is dumb. particularly when there would already be many instances of said chip already in cars in the U.S. Whenever something makes no sense it is either politics or we do not have complete facts. I do not think they would play politics w this volume of cars.
Old 02-10-2024, 01:33 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
However, one thing is strange to me. I have doubts whether Belarus is capable to produce highly advanced chips that can be installed in Porsche ECUs.
As a rule, for countries such as Belarus, Iran, Russia or North Korea, sanctions work the other way around.
a quick search brings up the like of https://www.belarusguide.com/industr...iconductor.htm

the page looks well out of date but certainly suggests a desire to have the capability.

and sanctions work in both directions - preventing exports from sanctioned countries is an important aspect
Tedster (02-12-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 10:09 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Well at least my SA reached out yesterday after i asked about the situation...confirmed Porsche NA is throwing in free maintenance with my car and dealer is going to add some items....(tint, all weather mats and cargo mats, ceramic + PPF, and wheel/tire protection since I have 22" for now) so that does help and make me feel a bit better. Car is at MSRP since its a hybrid but they didn't discount an additional "savings" off that at delivery if my date slips any further but they were somewhat optimistic that I'd see my car this summer. We'll see.
ihbond (02-10-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 03:17 PM
ricktu
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well at least my SA reached out yesterday after i asked about the situation...confirmed Porsche NA is throwing in free maintenance with my car and dealer is going to add some items....(tint, all weather mats and cargo mats, ceramic + PPF, and wheel/tire protection since I have 22" for now) so that does help and make me feel a bit better. Car is at MSRP since its a hybrid but they didn't discount an additional "savings" off that at delivery if my date slips any further but they were somewhat optimistic that I'd see my car this summer. We'll see.
Curious what you have on order? I'm wondering if there's a path to getting this kind of compensation for all delayed at port?
Old 02-11-2024, 03:57 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

yes this is an extensive list of freebies. unless someone’s definition of these items differs from mine ur talking about a solid 15k of giveaways.

Quick Reply: Porsche Export Hold