Sponsored By:

Porsche Export Hold

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 07:48 AM
SOLI2D-1
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CT-ref
No deliveries of Cayennes, Taycans, 911s and Panameras in the USA for two-three months might warrant a headline or two - easily 10,000 delayed deliveries with more than $1 billion in capital sitting around various USA ports. Porsche may dodge the headlines for a few weeks but not forever, this has to be causing major headaches throughout the ranks of dealers, Porsche North America and Porsche corporate.
Where is the media help when you need it?

And like MasonRite States, "Like CT-ref stated, PCNA has dodged the headlines so far, but at this point, it is only a matter of time before major media outlets catch wind of what the hell is going on.
Edmunds, Motor Trend, Car Week, The Drive…where are you!?!"

Especially if its a VAG, and not isolated to Porsche, Problem.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:12 AM
B00mer
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It's Not Nice to Fool Mother Nature (or the USEPA)

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
Don’t ever carry out a corporate wide scheme to lie to the USEPA.
US EPA has VERY long memories. How, exactly, did VW Group think that one was going to work out long term? Has anyone spotted the CEO in Washington DC, hat in hand?

And it's like
Old 02-07-2024, 12:40 AM
jayshi827
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Different SA also seems to have different access to information. My SA has no clue what is causing the hold. It is amazing I can find much more clues here on the forum than from my SA.
The following users liked this post:
AVUS (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 01:32 AM
lvlvdou
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jayshi827
Different SA also seems to have different access to information. My SA has no clue what is causing the hold. It is amazing I can find much more clues here on the forum than from my SA.
My SA probably heard something (likely reads from rennlist as well) but “nothing official from Porsche yet” was what he said to me. I would say your SA is simply being more prudent by not releasing any unofficial information.
Old 02-07-2024, 06:05 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SOLI2D-1
Where is the media help when you need it?

And like MasonRite States, "Like CT-ref stated, PCNA has dodged the headlines so far, but at this point, it is only a matter of time before major media outlets catch wind of what the hell is going on.
Edmunds, Motor Trend, Car Week, The Drive…where are you!?!"

Especially if its a VAG, and not isolated to Porsche, Problem.
it’s started - https://jalopnik.com/porsche-cant-se...-no-1851235453
ThomasWShea (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 06:16 PM
retom
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
If it is true that the problem concerns the chips from Belarus, then the question arises: do smart people or idiots work at Porsche? This would partly explain the premium prices of their cars, such a mistakes are costly
Old 02-07-2024, 06:23 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 374 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
If it is true that the problem concerns the chips from Belarus, then the question arises: do smart people or idiots work at Porsche? This would partly explain the premium prices of their cars, such a mistakes are costly
do i assume my 2024 cayenne base coupe has the component that is an issue?
Old 02-07-2024, 08:01 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 214 Posts

Old 02-07-2024, 11:05 PM
jayshi827
Intermediate

Thank you for sharing this. It is amazing Porsche can write such a long letter with so little information. Just empty words...
Larson E. Rapp (02-08-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 11:06 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
Yep that would explain it somewhat. If so likely sub contracted part supplied chips [which were in short supply during COVID19 and may new sources came on line which differed from tried and true normal suppliers] supplied and the used in assembly of said parts (i.e. ECU or control boxes, etc). If identified as such then yes State would put the kabash on imports until rectified. Porsche now is rushing to buy proper chips and ID and swap out said part at port or dealership before delivery. Unlikely affects vehicle function or reliability but just resourced from the wrong zip/country code. SMDH
Originally Posted by retom
. In today's supply chain and all the turmoil in the world...no surprised that a likely cost savings move has had longer term repercussions for us...the customers!

Waiting to see mine in the mail..so I can forward to my SA and dealer to get some added items...say free maintenance and wheel protection packages and such maybe? Anyone made that sort of ask yet?
Old 02-07-2024, 11:20 PM
jayshi827
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Yep that would explain it somewhat. If so likely sub contracted part supplied chips [which were in short supply during COVID19 and may new sources came on line which differed from tried and true normal suppliers] supplied and the used in assembly of said parts (i.e. ECU or control boxes, etc). If identified as such then yes State would put the kabash on imports until rectified. Porsche now is rushing to buy proper chips and ID and swap out said part at port or dealership before delivery. Unlikely affects vehicle function or reliability but just resourced from the wrong zip/country code. SMDH
. In today's supply chain and all the turmoil in the world...no surprised that a likely cost savings move has had longer term repercussions for us...the customers!

Waiting to see mine in the mail..so I can forward to my SA and dealer to get some added items...say free maintenance and wheel protection packages and such maybe? Anyone made that sort of ask yet?
I am more interested to know whether I can cancel my order and get the deposit back, so that I can move on. I need to replace my current car asap.
Old 02-08-2024, 12:14 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by jayshi827
I am more interested to know whether I can cancel my order and get the deposit back, so that I can move on. I need to replace my current car asap.
Go ask your dealer. Am sure they likely have someone else waiting who will be glad to take your car off your hands. Good luck with your replacement and finding similar vehicle performance and quality in the same price point. Audi SQ8 maybe and RSQ8 are your best looking bits...BMW just has some hideous looking things in the SUV dept now a days. There is Mercedes maybe...rest not in same class as the Cayenne likely. But to each his/her own...for me wait is fine.
Old 02-08-2024, 07:52 AM
SOLI2D-1
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Go ask your dealer. Am sure they likely have someone else waiting who will be glad to take your car off your hands. Good luck with your replacement and finding similar vehicle performance and quality in the same price point. Audi SQ8 maybe and RSQ8 are your best looking bits...BMW just has some hideous looking things in the SUV dept now a days. There is Mercedes maybe...rest not in same class as the Cayenne likely. But to each his/her own...for me wait is fine.
I agree SQ8 is the closest for me - but Audi has gone a bit off the rails with their latest interiors, soo. that's out.
Wait is fine for me also.
Family has been surviving on only 1 car for the past couple of months - they all agreed to suffer with me.
What I ordered is the car I want.
After the Port guy rips it apart and slams it back together with the fix, hopefully I'll be able to tolerate the rattles..
Old 02-08-2024, 10:40 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,581 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I saw my sales guy on Tuesday and his story was that there was a three month window in which the import certification of the chip in question had lapsed. So any chip that was manufactured in this three month window had to be replaced with one that had an updated import certification.

Whether this was a clever way to diffuse the issue I have no idea.
Old 02-08-2024, 06:37 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 165 Posts

I for one am surprised and glad that Customs is checking cars thoroughly enough to identify sanctioned parts. Or maybe a whistle blower reported them. Regardless, the Ukrainian people are literally fighting for their lives against an invasion by Russia and Belarus has been one of their most supportive allies. I would feel terrible knowing that my new Cayenne was built with parts from suppliers with blood on their hands.

I also think that it is possible that Porsche might not have been aware that a supplier of theirs had shifted sourcing for one part in an assembly they make to meet delivery requirements or cost cutting purposes. There were huge issues with chips post Covid and that may have been the beginning of this issue.
I have seen similar things at my company in the past two years. Assembly suppliers are not always kept unformed by their own component suppliers about all changes. That's why they are audited by smart buyers with the resources. I expect that the people in Porsche's supplier compliance department are getting heat for missing this change or worse ignoring it. If management knew then there will be major repercussions.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tedster:
Guaji (02-09-2024), MaxLTV (02-09-2024), Talon38c (02-09-2024)

Quick Reply: Porsche Export Hold