Sponsored By:

Porsche Export Hold

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 01:05 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 704 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
since it is clear now that porsche is replacing the chips because of the forced labor, and not because the approval for the part simply expired as some had advanced, then will they replace ALL the forced labor chips even in cars already delivered? it just seem hypocritical to replace the chips in undelivered cars only if they are being replaced solely because of the labor used to make the part, and not because the part itself is faulty.

anyone else have any thoughts on this?
I don't think hypocritical is the right word. I think Porsche wants to follow ethical sourcing practices and when it was notified of the breach was required to take action. I don't think Porsche is saying other manufacturers shouldn't source from forced labour factories and then proceeds to do the same itself (that, in my view would be hypocritical), but rather is trying to do it's best to adhere to ethical (and legal) sourcing practices. Personally, I think it would be better to invest money in more stringent social auditing at the factory level, than using that money to pull forced labour parts out of vehicles that are already on the road. If there was an endless supply of money, I'd be advocating for Porsche doing both, but we all know this is a business.
The following 2 users liked this post by kayjh:
Tedster (02-26-2024), ThomasWShea (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 02:05 PM
donsladek
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by SOLI2D-1
Cayenne Coupe' (Base 6 Cyl) - lots of fun upgrades.
I've seen her with my own eyes.
Look but don't Touch
I'm being told they can't hand her off until fixed.
They do not have parts yet.
They stated could be up to 2 months (end of April)
Ours is on the Wolfsburg, headed for Halifax, then Baltimore Port. Glad to hear they aren't holding at the ports, but hope the delays at the dealer aren't too long.
Maybe I should offer my dealer the option of storing it in my garage - free storage until parts are in and I promise not to drive it!
Old 02-26-2024, 03:44 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 374 Likes on 278 Posts

@kayjh good points. i wonder if true auditing would be needed, maybe just having every facility open for public tours would be enough?
Old 02-26-2024, 04:26 PM
Pat_OD
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Cayenne S showed up at the dealer yesterday in Connecticut after a month at the port in Providence.. TBD chip situation
Old 02-26-2024, 04:57 PM
AVUS
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat_OD
My Cayenne S showed up at the dealer yesterday in Connecticut after a month at the port in Providence.. TBD chip situation
First of all: great! Secondly, hope that module gets replaced quickly and you can enjoy your new car. Did you learn about this from your dealer or did track your dream tell you the car was in transit/has arrived at dealer?
Old 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 704 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
@kayjh good points. i wonder if true auditing would be needed, maybe just having every facility open for public tours would be enough?
I import product from China and Vietnam for major retailers in Canada. All the retailers I sell to have requirements for social audits, (which must be unannounced third party) and the reports must be submitted through secure portals by the third party completing the audit. We can't obtain the report from the third party and forward to the retailer (concern about tampering with the report). A Vietnamese factory we use just had an audit done which generated a 70 page report. The report included verified in person interviews of at last 10% of the workforce with details relating to pay, overtime, rest periods, time off, vacation, health care, lunch breaks, etc.

Having said this, some of the factories that produce raw materials for the factory that assembles my product might not fall under the audit requirements. For Porsche, they must have thousands of parts that are manufactured in possibly hundreds of factories. It must be a nightmare to keep track of it all.
The following 3 users liked this post by kayjh:
Electric Lizard (02-26-2024), Schnave (02-26-2024), ThomasWShea (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 06:06 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

I just got a TYD update as well, it moved to the next stage, as if it's moving from port to the dealer, instead of no date, it's now showing 28 March
Old 02-26-2024, 08:12 PM
AVUS
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
I just got a TYD update as well, it moved to the next stage, as if it's moving from port to the dealer, instead of no date, it's now showing 28 March
That is good news! What port was your car at?
Old 02-26-2024, 11:29 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 452 Posts

Cayenne Coupe' (Base 6 Cyl) - lots of fun upgrades.
I've seen her with my own eyes.
Look but don't Touch
I'm being told they can't hand her off until fixed.
They do not have parts yet.
They stated could be up to 2 months (end of April)
Congrats almost...end of April won't be that bad. So it has arrived at your dealership take it? Mine won't even have left the factory lot yet for shipping port by then. You can let us know how it goes then and we can live and watch vicariously thru your delivery for a held car.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:06 AM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

--
Old 02-27-2024, 12:07 AM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AVUS
That is good news! What port was your car at?
Providence - it's been there roughly since mid Jan - end of Nov was production completion
Old 02-27-2024, 07:57 AM
SOLI2D-1
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey all,
They've installed the part at the dealer.
Pick up my Cayenne up today.
Date moved from End of April to today.
Based on this, maybe the dealers will push these out quickly.
This is good news indeed.

The following 2 users liked this post by SOLI2D-1:
Electric Lizard (02-27-2024), mdrobc1213 (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 08:54 AM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 214 Posts

Hey all,
They've installed the part at the dealer.
Pick up my Cayenne up today.
Date moved from End of April to today.
Based on this, maybe the dealers will push these out quickly.
This is good news indeed.
Good news, indeed! There’s hope that when my hybrid begins building next week, it’ll have the correct chip. Also, this info also shows that Porsche may be padding final delivery dates a bit much.
The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 09:50 AM
SOLI2D-1
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
Good news, indeed! There’s hope that when my hybrid begins building next week, it’ll have the correct chip. Also, this info also shows that Porsche may be padding final delivery dates a bit much.
My SA had stated a few weeks ago that they dates they were providing were very conservative.
so far - apparently so.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:21 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
Agree my original date was end May and then moved to end of June.
My SA had stated a few weeks ago that they dates they were providing were very conservative.
so far - apparently so.
Well since i have a hybrid figure an additional time was added for final EPA approval in US plus this part...so 30 days push to the right isn't that bad. Maybe earlier arrival or on original scheduled date of 28 May 2024 wouldn't hurt but I'll prep for either date as long as the get the build right/correct!

Quick Reply: Porsche Export Hold