Sponsored By:

Porsche Export Hold

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 04:39 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by jayshi827
I am in the same boat. Do you think the dealer allows customers to cancel order and take deposit back?
Most likely but don’t think it’s just Porsche included mostly any high end brand you’re looking for seems to be affected so there is likely that. But yes if vehicle has not locked then usually full refund is ok in US. After that time then I think most dealer contracts allow some remediation to cover time and losses from a cancelled order and deposit minus those costs back to the customer.
Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
Go read about the Audi BSG issues on audiworld, the RSQ8 is included in that.
Yes that is a thing…in that what you get may play a role in this too….so is the delay worth the wait if you cancel your order now? Basically all the equivalent cars likely have a risk of similar problem or delay maybe. Risk in both decisions…do you stay or go? Decisions…decisions! 🤓
Old 02-04-2024, 06:28 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 374 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Most likely but don’t think it’s just Porsche included mostly any high end brand you’re looking for seems to be affected so there is likely that. But yes if vehicle has not locked then usually full refund is ok in US. After that time then I think most dealer contracts allow some remediation to cover time and losses from a cancelled order and deposit minus those costs back to the customer.

Yes that is a thing…in that what you get may play a role in this too….so is the delay worth the wait if you cancel your order now? Basically all the equivalent cars likely have a risk of similar problem or delay maybe. Risk in both decisions…do you stay or go? Decisions…decisions! 🤓
In my case I ordered an audi, waited a year and half, and ended up buying a porsche. as soon as i drove the porsche i knew i didn’t want the audi - and I was fairly dyed in the wool audi - 3 days later bought a porsche. They are better on quite a few nuanced fronts. However if compare value and features you may land with another brand.

Last edited by ThomasWShea; 02-04-2024 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-05-2024, 01:11 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
In my case I ordered an audi, waited a year and half, and ended up buying a porsche. as soon as i drove the porsche i knew i didn’t want the audi - and I was fairly dyed in the wool audi - 3 days later bought a porsche. They are better on quite a few nuanced fronts. However if compare value and features you may land with another brand.
Yep started off with an order for a BMW I4 M50 and a wait then moved to the new Q8 Etron and over to an SQ8 Etron and finally settled on the Cayenne hybrid when announced and over to the S hybrid when allocation opened up last Fall. So as I have really been waiting since what 2022 to upgrade to my next vehicle when you look at it…a few weeks or a month or two doesn’t faze me so…I waited 7 mos from initial order to delivery for my Taycan CT4 (now the wife’s car) so it’s all relative…they arrive when they arrive and the dealer asks me to come fetch them! 😆
Old 02-05-2024, 08:52 AM
SOLI2D-1
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

My 2024 Cayenne Coupe arrived in Baltimore 01/05/2024 and now sitting.
I was informed last week - all Cayenne's on hold at port due to a switch interfacing with the PCM. A possible Customs/emission issue holding them up.
They Gave me an expected deliver of 04/15/2024 - so, a 16 week hold on my car. That seems excessive.
Anyone else having similar issues?
I see many are...

Last edited by SOLI2D-1; 02-05-2024 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-05-2024, 10:48 AM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by SOLI2D-1
I was informed last week - all Cayenne's on hold at port due to a switch interfacing with the PCM. A possible Customs/emission issue holding them up.
They Gave me an expected deliver of 04/15/2024 - so, a 16 week hold on my car. That seems excessive.
I see many are...
If the info in post #30 is correct, then 16 weeks might be aggressive. .
Old 02-05-2024, 11:07 AM
SOLI2D-1
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
If the info in post #30 is correct, then 16 weeks might be aggressive. .
I saw that and have to think this can't be possible.

I prefer Excessive over Aggressive.
The following users liked this post:
AVUS (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 11:17 AM
AVUS
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

I saw that and have to think this can't be possible.

I prefer Excessive over Aggressive.
While I like to think (hope!) this is an excessive date, meant not to be reached/exceeded, it is at the end all speculation on our parts as we have no clue what it takes to fix this, how soon parts and technicians are available, in what order they will process cars, etc.

My Cayenne S Coupe is in Benicia since 1/26 (order placed 6/18/23, pushed back multiple times, presumably because of various exclusive manufactur features, production completed 12/4/23). Was supposed to take possession this week.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:25 AM
drkm3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see many are...
My wife's Cayenne S coupe has been at German port since 1/15. Original EDA was 2/28 but now pushed back to 4/15
Old 02-05-2024, 11:37 AM
lvlvdou
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drkm3
My wife's Cayenne S coupe has been at German port since 1/15. Original EDA was 2/28 but now pushed back to 4/15
Did you see the 4/15 date in track your dream or was you told by an SA?
Old 02-05-2024, 11:49 AM
drkm3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lvlvdou
Did you see the 4/15 date in track your dream or was you told by an SA?
"Not available " in Track your dream. I was at the dealer for the service and my SA showed me their order status screen.
Old 02-05-2024, 12:24 PM
CT-ref
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No deliveries of Cayennes, Taycans, 911s and Panameras in the USA for two-three months might warrant a headline or two - easily 10,000 delayed deliveries with more than $1 billion in capital sitting around various USA ports. Porsche may dodge the headlines for a few weeks but not forever, this has to be causing major headaches throughout the ranks of dealers, Porsche North America and Porsche corporate.
Old 02-05-2024, 01:31 PM
MasonRite
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is affecting more than just Porsche.

My Audi RS7 has been sitting at the Port of Benicia since 1/10 with no ETA on the Customs Hold being lifted. After talking to a few friends at Porsche/Audi, the US Customs Hold started the 1st week of January on all VAG Manufactures as well as Mazda and Toyota.

The company, AM Ports, handles all the Customs, In & Out, Processing and Logistics for VAG, Mazda, and Toyota, as well as a few imported GM models.
Porsche would not say if this is an issue on their end(VAG) or if this is a Customs issue with AM Ports. *After a little digging on a few other Rennlist posts, it's likely a chip issue affecting all VAG cars except models with 4cyl engines.

Like CT-ref stated, PCNA has dodged the headlines so far, but at this point, it is only a matter of time before major media outlets catch wind of what the hell is going on.
Edmunds, Motor Trend, Car Week, The Drive…where are you!?!

One of the questions that needs to be brought up is… What happens when the Port holding areas no longer have the capacity for more vehicles.
Port of Benicia only has space for 42,000 vehicles and processes(Import and Export) roughly 400,000 vehicles per year. Whether the Customs Hold is a chip issue or a paperwork issue, this is going to have a huge impact on VAG and the markets.

Once the Customs Hold is lifted, the logistics to move the enormous volume of vehicles that are backlogged is going to be immense and only further delays. I can’t even imagine the effect this has on Union Pacific rail shipping schedules as well as tractor-trailer delivery schedules.

*(updated from previous post)

Last edited by MasonRite; 02-05-2024 at 03:46 PM. Reason: updated information
Old 02-05-2024, 03:43 PM
ThomasWShea
Burning Brakes

Received 374 Likes on 278 Posts

i wonder if this will affect pricing for vehicles on the lot…
Old 02-05-2024, 04:52 PM
ihbond
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I see many are...
so if you put a deposit down and have to wait longer in the United states, i wonder what next steps are to get the deposit back. Im not able to wait an addition 2-3 months..…..
I feel i have been more then patient wait 4 month on top of the additional import issue…..as i need to move out of the Macan and into a bigger suv for medical and dog situation……not mad..just need to make the pieces fit….
its a shame this is happening, to a few folks….
AVUS (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 07:33 PM
retom
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 229 Posts

This is a common problem with cars imported from other continents. I'm from Europe. Last year I ordered an MB AMG GLE Coupe 63S. The production of this car is in Tuscaloosa USA. After production, the car was stuck at the factory for 3 months without any reason given. I gave up on this car. As far as I know, it finally reached the port of Bremerhaven and has been stuck there for almost 2 months. So the car will be at least half a year old from the moment of production until it is delivered to the customer. But it's not my headache anymore.
In October 2023, I ordered a Cayenne Coupe Turbo e-Hybrid. Like all hybrids, it has a delay and instead of being delivered at the end of January, it will be delivered at the beginning of March. It is already manufactured and updated, just waiting to be transported from the factory. Well, at least the factory is only 500 km from me and I will avoid long transport and problems at the port.
ThomasWShea (02-05-2024)

Quick Reply: Porsche Export Hold