Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 11:44 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts
Default 2023 Cayenne Platinum E-Hybrid Ordering & Mods

Got this email last night:

Been waiting on this for a while! Don’t have an updated status or ship since my SA is out this week but last projected, completion date was 11/18 with delivery to Port Houston 12/23. So, let’s see how this plays out..

A quick backstory….our first Porsche was the 2014 Cayenne Diesel we ordered for my wife in March 2013 and took delivery of at the very end of July 2013. My wife has loved the hell out of that thing for the last 9 plus years and we’ve used it as our family hauler all over TX and as far north as Colorado. It’s been great. My wife hasn’t wanted to switch but it’s getting a bit up there in miles, age, and we have a teenager beginning to drive. Plus, having owned a Tesla for the last 4 years, the electrified experience is really something we both enjoy. My wife’s daily commute is within the range of the bigger battery installed in the newer hybrids. I started reaching out to my SA about allocations given the disaster that the ordering has been. I wanted to try to get the tax credit before it went away. Positive reviews by my electrified cohort @daveo4porsche and an excellent review by @Kyle Conner cemented the desire that this rig was engineered to suit my tastes. Also thanks to @toma nova for the test drive in his air spring equipped model. Our dealership got some allocations in May and we decided to pull the trigger.

Build is here:

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...px?c=/PPXGGGX7

Our build is very specific. No trailer hitch because we’ve had one on the CD for 9 years and never used it. Gotta have that light interior. Wife LOVES the Spyder wheels (again). 4 zone climate to keep the kids happy. Was very happy with the standard PASM and steel springs although I still may regret not ordering the air suspension given our terrible roads. Chose 18 ways over 14 ways plus massage because they fit us better. Got the sport design fascia to get all the painted lower bits and because it looks like the facelift will have it standard. Still. PISSED about not getting the matrix lights. Like PISSED. Oh well.

Psyched to get it here. Can’t wait to start tracking the boat!

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 03-06-2023 at 09:33 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
chassis (02-15-2023), daveo4porsche (11-24-2022), Gwaxman34 (11-24-2022), LDT (11-24-2022), rajatparihar (11-24-2022), Schnave (11-24-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

02-15-2023, 11:51 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Has arrived at dealer, undergoing PDI, tint, PPF soon!

Sneak peak.....

Old 11-24-2022, 11:57 AM
rajatparihar
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Amazing news, congratulations. That's a very nice spec, can't wait to see such an email for our MY23 e hybrid which is coming out from body shop tomorrow and hopefully will be with us by mid/ late December
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 01:16 PM
Ray Tom
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice and Congrats! I received my email for my Turbo S e-hybrid on 11/11. I’m guessing they may be in the same boat over
Old 11-24-2022, 01:29 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray Tom
Nice and Congrats! I received my email for my Turbo S e-hybrid on 11/11. I’m guessing they may be in the same boat over
Congrats! Might be. According to the last tracker, expected completion was 11/18 and supposed to leave port today. But the tracker was out of date so…..we shall see next week.
Old 11-25-2022, 01:34 PM
Defratos
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats on the new car, Can someone help me here, I thought the 2023 models were going to be a completely new design uplift (i.e. completely new exterior look) am I getting this wrong?

There are spy shots and stuff of the new 2023 models and I figured that they weren't released yet? From the pictures above yours looks like the current porsche cayenne design correct?
Old 11-25-2022, 01:59 PM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Received 531 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Defratos
Congrats on the new car, Can someone help me here, I thought the 2023 models were going to be a completely new design uplift (i.e. completely new exterior look) am I getting this wrong?

There are spy shots and stuff of the new 2023 models and I figured that they weren't released yet? From the pictures above yours looks like the current porsche cayenne design correct?
No refresh until MY ‘24 at the earliest. Re-design??? Who knows? Perhaps 2026 or 2027? The last generation was produced for model years 2011–2018 (eight years).
Old 11-25-2022, 02:38 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 580 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Still. PISSED about not getting the matrix lights. Like PISSED. Oh well.
Having bought an in-stock Cayenne Platinum with matrix headlights in August, I understand why my salesman discouraged me from getting them on the Panamera Sport Turismo I spec'ed out with him in early Spring. My salesman's opinion was that Porsche's implementation of matrix headlights for the U.S. wasn't any better than the regular PDLS headlights. I ended up not getting the Panamera due to constraints on features and bought the in-stock Cayenne instead. I ignored my salesman's advice and verified that the in-stock Cayenne had matrix headlights before I bought it.

In my opinion, the Cayenne's matrix headlights aren't as effective overall as the OEM LED headlights on our Prius v wagon or the OEM HID headlights on the Toyota Sienna minivan that the Cayenne replaced. BTW, the Prius v LED headlights were the first to earn the IIHS highest rating for headlights.

IMO, the main positive aspect of the matrix headlights is the extraordinarily wide beam pattern. The description of the matrix headlights says that they include "Dynamic Cornering Light". I can't detect any movement of the beam left or right during corning. I haven't tried selecting Sport mode which "allows for greater swivel angle depending on steering input" to see if that makes it noticeable.

The main problem with the matrix headlights is the short range of the low beams which is exacerbated by the razor sharp beam cutoff. There is no spurious light escaping from above the beam cutoff that can help illuminate features further in the distance if only by a little.

The high beams seem acceptable but they could be brighter to better illuminate features in the distance.

The auto high beam function works sluggishly. After an oncoming vehicle has passed or a vehicle ahead in my lane has disappeared by rounding a corner or topping a hill, it seems to take seconds for the high beam to switch on. The automatic switch to high beam on the Sienna was instantaneous.

The minimum speed limitation for high beam use is irritating. When I'm on dark rural country road, I don't want to wait until I'm at 30 to 35 MPH for the high beams to light up. The owners manual says it should happen as low as 20 MPH but that's not the way it works on my Cayenne. Or maybe it seems like the threshold is much higher than 20 MPH when I'm accelerating out of a low speed turn or curve. There was no speed limitation on the Sienna's auto high beams.

A positive aspect of the matrix headlights is the fog light function. I've had front fog lights on most of the vehicles I've owned since the 1960's. The fog lights on the Cayenne light up the road edges better than any other fog lights I've experienced.

I wouldn't be so sensitive to this situation if I wasn't used to better headlights. I wasn't expecting miracles from the Cayenne's matrix headlights but I was expecting them to be at least as good and a little better than what I've become accustomed to. I was hoping that the matrix headlights would allow me to more easily see deer. Maybe the Night View Assist feature will help avoid deer but that only functions under 77 degrees Fahrenheit which at least covers typical nighttime temperatures from fall to spring. I doubt that Night View Assist will detect animal carcasses lying in the road. I've hit several resulting in damages.

I wanted the matrix headlights mainly because I thought there was a possibility that the U.S. NHTSA would eventually allow unlocking their full capabilities to function as they do in Europe and Canada. That is not obviously not going to happen based on the NHTSA's published "Final Rule" on the matter which can be viewed at https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.go...1-2022-web.pdf

I wouldn't blame Porsche if it didn't bother to implement the NHTSA's lame "Final Rule" on existing matrix headlights..
The following 3 users liked this post by Woofman:
daveo4porsche (11-25-2022), Needsdecaf (11-25-2022), Schnave (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 02:50 PM
Defratos
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LDT
No refresh until MY ‘24 at the earliest. Re-design??? Who knows? Perhaps 2026 or 2027? The last generation was produced for model years 2011–2018 (eight years).
Thanks mate, so I have gotten it completely wrong and there is no new design changes expected in 2023?
Old 11-25-2022, 02:57 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks mate, so I have gotten it completely wrong and there is no new design changes expected in 2023?
No refresh for 2023. 2024 earliest.
Defratos (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 03:07 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,982 Likes on 1,933 Posts

I think the most we can expect before 2025 is perhaps maybe if they feel like it a migration to the fully digital dash a'la Taycan for the Cayenne - but no major changes otherwise…

but even that is unfounded speculation.
Old 11-26-2022, 08:30 AM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 217 Posts

Good to know. Last month I ordered an E-Hybrid Coupe in Platinum trim that’s blue with sports facia like yours. My SA (Rodger at PoNH, an old friend from the LSRPCA) tells me that as of now I’m looking at a March delivery. Mrs. Lizard and I will hopefully be flying to H-town then to visit friends and then learn all about it on the drive home.
Needsdecaf (11-26-2022)
Old 11-26-2022, 06:09 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
Good to know. Last month I ordered an E-Hybrid Coupe in Platinum trim that’s blue with sports facia like yours. My SA (Rodger at PoNH, an old friend from the LSRPCA) tells me that as of now I’m looking at a March delivery. Mrs. Lizard and I will hopefully be flying to H-town then to visit friends and then learn all about it on the drive home.
Sweet! Rodger is awesome!
Old 02-02-2023, 10:20 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Woofman

I wanted the matrix headlights mainly because I thought there was a possibility that the U.S. NHTSA would eventually allow unlocking their full capabilities to function as they do in Europe and Canada. That is not obviously not going to happen based on the NHTSA's published "Final Rule" on the matter which can be viewed at https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.go...1-2022-web.pdf

I wouldn't blame Porsche if it didn't bother to implement the NHTSA's lame "Final Rule" on existing matrix headlights..
Want to unpack this statement a little more. I read the executive summary but haven't read the whole (300 plus page) paper. Could you expand more on what you were saying here?

Old 02-02-2023, 11:14 AM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 580 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Want to unpack this statement a little more. I read the executive summary but haven't read the whole (300 plus page) paper. Could you expand more on what you were saying here?
LOL, my memory is such that I'd have to go back and reanalyze the massive document to get much out of it.

Here is a link to my post in which I provided excerpts from comments made by a lighting industry expert in emails about the NHTSA's ruling: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post18458468

I was surprised that the guy was still as optimistic as he is about the possibility that the U.S. will eventually get much better headlights but he is relatively young and likely has a lot of years left in the business. As I said in the other post, I'm not comfortable disclosing his name but he is associated with the organization that runs the Driving Vision News website: https://www.drivingvisionnews.com/

I may try again to get my matrix headlights fully enabled if forum member runbuh's procedure that is documented in the Cayenne coding thread can be successfully repeated by others. My first attempt to have it done at an independent Porsche workshop did not go well.

Old 02-02-2023, 11:30 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Woofman
LOL, my memory is such that I'd have to go back and reanalyze the massive document to get much out of it.

Here is a link to my post in which I provided excerpts from comments made by a lighting industry expert in emails about the NHTSA's ruling: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post18458468

I was surprised that the guy was still as optimistic as he is about the possibility that the U.S. will eventually get much better headlights but he is relatively young and likely has a lot of years left in the business. As I said in the other post, I'm not comfortable disclosing his name but he is associated with the organization that runs the Driving Vision News website: https://www.drivingvisionnews.com/

I may try again to get my matrix headlights fully enabled if forum member runbuh's procedure that is documented in the Cayenne coding thread can be successfully repeated by others. My first attempt to have it done at an independent Porsche workshop did not go well.
Interesting, thanks. I do see that there are tons of testing procedures and standards which I have not read through yet. But the document does approve of the use of ADB's.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 02-02-2023 at 11:34 AM.
daveo4porsche (02-04-2023)

Quick Reply: 2023 Cayenne Platinum E-Hybrid Order..