Sponsored By:

Night vision - almost no view to right of car

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 09:41 AM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Night vision - almost no view to right of car

Picked up used 2022 cayenne with night vision assist. Did some searches but couldn’t find what I was looking for…

the location of the camera and lens blocks a lot of the right side view, due to camera being set so deep on left front of car and grill location. To the left the view is pretty good for a small camera but seems anything within a wide angle to the right or within 10-15 feet can’t be seen to the right.

anyone know any fixes, a longer lens extension to bring it out farther, or move it to a central location?
Cool tech but seems to have blind spots to the right.
Old 11-11-2022, 10:31 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,803 Likes on 1,442 Posts

The camera has a Field of View of only 24° with a resolution of 320 x 240 pixels. It is designed to detect distant objects to the front (not the sides) of the vehicle that may pose a hazard. The system is designed to detect objects beyond the reach of the headlights. Here’s more info on the technology:
https://moscow.sci-hub.se/2167/73207...?download=true
More here:
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/inside-...ision-cameras/

Here’s a graphic representation of just how narrow that view is.

Many dismiss the utility of the optional Night Vision Assist. It’s easy to see why; when you look at the night vision screen it is difficult to see objects. But that’s not the point. The system works in the background, whether the night vision screen is displayed or not. It detects people and animals beyond the range of the headlights. When the system detects a pedestrian or animal, it automatically switches the right instrument cluster to the night vision display and highlights the hazard in yellow.

The system immediately primes the brakes to be ready for an emergency stop. If the object is classified as a hazard, the highlight changes to red and the left instrument cluster shows a large warning indicating a pedestrian or animal.

Now here’s the really cool part. In vehicles equipped with fully functioning PDLS+ (maybe soon here in the US) the lights will flash a narrow beam highlighting the pedestrian. This alerts the pedestrian AND points out the pedestrian to the driver. Even cooler part — the system is smart enough to NOT flash an animal, since that may cause the “deer in the headlights” freeze response. How cool is that?
Read all about it here:
https://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutpor...iew/article05/

Last edited by Schnave; 11-11-2022 at 10:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Woofman (11-11-2022)
Old 11-11-2022, 10:45 AM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the field of view reference.

Problem is it isn’t center. I was driving in my neighborhood last night and didn’t see the pedestrians on the right side on the side walk at all…dark clothing not well lit streets. If they’d been on the left side it would have seen them. Seems like they should have put it in the middle of the car. The auto priming of the brakes and everything is cool, but with such a small field of view it’ll miss a lot especially not being center.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:07 AM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 147 Posts

That 24 degree cone, extended out a bit further, should show everything in or near the road on both sides, with things on the right disappearing from the camera's field of view before things on the left as you approach them but letting you know they're there well before that point. Are you not experiencing that?
Schnave (11-11-2022)
Old 11-11-2022, 12:54 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 580 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnave
Now here’s the really cool part. In vehicles equipped with fully functioning PDLS+ (maybe soon here in the US) the lights will flash a narrow beam highlighting the pedestrian.
Don't hold your breath regarding "maybe soon here in the US".

Shortly after buying the Cayenne with PDLS+ matrix headlights in August, I emailed a recognized authority on automotive lighting asking when to expect adaptive beam headlights to be allowed in the U.S.

I had zero expectation of getting a reply and was stunned that he emailed me back later in the day. We exchanged several emails over the next few days about the issue. I don't feel comfortable with disclosing his name and he asked me not to disclose specifics in copywritten materials that he sent to me for my own education.

I think it's safe to tell you that he said that the NHTSA has rejected both the SAE J3069 and U.N. specifications that allow effective adaptive beam headlights and has proposed its own much more limiting standards that he described as "a giant gap between U.S. and rest-of-world-including-Canada". The only other direct quote from him that I will provide is "whatever ADB systems do reach U.S. roads will be hobbled".

It will be interesting to see how auto makers handle the situation - particularly those that manufacture vehicles in Canada for sale in the U.S., e.g. will Toyota produce Lexus RX vehicles with ADB headlights for Canada or will Lexus RX vehicles for Canada get the same non-ADB headlights that U.S. customers get.

This situation sucks.
Old 11-11-2022, 01:47 PM
LDT
Burning Brakes

Received 531 Likes on 380 Posts

I suspect that these decisions are made by “regulators” who either drive a Prius or are chauffeured around at taxpayer expense.
Old 11-11-2022, 02:13 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

A zoomed-out view puts it in another perspective. The NVA camera is two feet left of center (yes, I measured it). At the distances the system is designed for (beyond the range of the high beams), the offset is negligible. If anything, the offset is actually beneficial since it moves the camera closer to center of the roadway.

The video display should not be used to detect hazards. In fact, it provides too small a screen, and out of the driver’s line of sight, to accurately view hazards. Algorithms process the video feed and provide advance warning to the driver. Once detected, the screen will highlight the hazard and provide a visual alert in the left instrument display.

Old 11-11-2022, 02:39 PM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

A zoomed-out view puts it in another perspective. The NVA camera is two feet left of center (yes, I measured it). At the distances the system is designed for (beyond the range of the high beams), the offset is negligible. If anything, the offset is actually beneficial since it moves the camera closer to center of the roadway.

The video display should not be used to detect hazards. In fact, it provides too small a screen, and out of the driver’s line of sight, to accurately view hazards. Algorithms process the video feed and provide advance warning to the driver. Once detected, the screen will highlight the hazard and provide a visual alert in the left instrument display.

I hadn’t thought about the “beyond the headlight”distance. Guess that makes more sense. Still think the right side is being blocked (set too far back in the grill) and not getting a true 24 degree field.

Originally Posted by icemang
That 24 degree cone, extended out a bit further, should show everything in or near the road on both sides, with things on the right disappearing from the camera's field of view before things on the left as you approach them but letting you know they're there well before that point. Are you not experiencing that?
I wish it was extended out (not set as deep) in the car. The lens is set so deep I think it’s blocking a good portion of the right side of the field of view. The camera view shows a lot more to the left than it does to the right, even when looking at objects 100+ feet away. Doesn’t cover the right side of the road where deer will be likely to be hiding.
Old 11-11-2022, 03:40 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Once detected, the screen will highlight the hazard and provide a visual alert in the left instrument display.
According to a thread on a Taycan forum, there is also a collision alert displayed in the HUD but I don't know if it works the same on the Cayenne.

I realized a couple of days ago that I had driven the Cayenne only once in darkness since buying it in August other than a few dawn drives to meet up with my cycling buddies.

I would like to see for myself how Night Vision Assist works in a test situation but invoking it on purpose would probably be difficult. For some reason, my wife declined to participate in a test by standing beside a dark rural roadway as I approached in the Cayenne.
Old 11-11-2022, 03:49 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Woofman
I would like to see for myself how Night Vision Assist works in a test situation but invoking it on purpose would probably be difficult. For some reason, my wife declined to participate in a test by standing beside a dark rural roadway as I approached in the Cayenne.
I tested mine in a parking lot. I parked at the back of the lot and pointed my car at pedestrians walking in the lot. The system correctly identified the person about 75-100 meters to my front and highlighted him in yellow. Here’s what it looked like. I suppose I could have punched it and roared off towards the unsuspecting person (à la Christine) to see if it changed to red and gave me an alert. But I thought that would be a bad idea. 🤪

Last edited by Schnave; 11-11-2022 at 03:56 PM.
Woofman (11-11-2022)
Old 11-11-2022, 04:19 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 194 Posts

I suspect in low visibility (rain, snow, fog) night vision is even more effective. We all need to start lobbying for the full implementation of the matrix headlights.
Old 11-11-2022, 04:47 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

I tested mine in a parking lot. I parked at the back of the lot and pointed my car at pedestrians walking in the lot. The system correctly identified the person about 75-100 meters to my front and highlighted him in yellow. Here’s what it looked like. I suppose I could have punched it and roared off towards the unsuspecting person (à la Christine) to see if it changed to red and gave me an alert. But I thought that would be a bad idea. 🤪
Great Idea! Made me realize that there are a variety of places within three blocks of our house that are perfect for testing Night Vision Assist ... will involve driving towards inebriated patrons stumbling out of bars. Or maybe it would be safer to use patrons of the Black Dog Coffeehouse that shares a parking lot with one of the bars since they would likely be more alert due to caffeine.

You get bonus points for the Steven King reference.

Schnave (11-11-2022)

Quick Reply: Night vision - almost no view to right of car