Cayenne Turbo - Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 04:05 PM
blackpearl2015
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Cayenne Turbo - Advice

Hi

i am in the market for a Cayenne Turbo. I am looking for a 2020 or 2021 certified vehicle as prices are starting to come down a little. I wanted to get some thoughts as there are a number of options out there but not one that has my complete wish list which may be a needle in the haystack type of search. With that said, if a car has PTV+ and PDCC but it does not have rear axle steering is that a deal breaker? I have seen a few options like this as well as seeing a few with rear axle but not the other two. From your opinion, how must have is rear axle? Or, the other two? As background, I do have a Panamera Turbo S and pretty sure it has all three - drives like a dream.

Lastly, went to a BMW dealership this weekend and there was an X5M. Looked great. Anyone have X5M experience that can comment on that vehicle versus Cayenne Turbo? I know it isn’t apples to apples and from what I can tell most compare the X5M to the GTS which I get from a price perspective but I also think there is some comparison to the turbo. Assuming the ride will be stiffer in the X5M. I like the infotainment system and layout much better in the Cayenne as it is cleaner but the v-8 sound of the X5M was excellent and the price is certainly better.

Appreciate the thoughts.
Old 07-31-2022, 04:21 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 288 Posts

Can't compare to X5M but I don't personally find any performance options to be dealbreakers for my Turbo, but there are definite dealbreakers on some other options IMO

I've had 2 of them now without any performance options other than sport chrono and love it

I'm sure many will say nice to have, but would be surprised to hear anyone say it's a "must"
The following users liked this post:
blackpearl2015 (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 06:15 PM
supershaft
Pro

Received 312 Likes on 166 Posts

This was me 2 months ago. I had a tuned 992 4s and was looking for consolidating. I was thinking of getting the X5M and I could keep the 992 but then I realized I hate having a car sitting doing nothing. I am an all in one car guy so I was still debating just the X5M but US made BMWs are total junk. My 2021 X3M Comp was probably the worst made BMW in my 20 year history of BMWs. My wifes X3 m40i is OK however.

The dealer had a used 2020 cayenne turbo coupe but it did not have PDCC or RWS. They did have a fully loaded 2022 with literally every option and the difference with PDCC was stark so I went with the new one.

In the end I wasn't totally swayed by price and at near 200k sticker for my cayenne turbo coupe I still don't have any regrets over the X5M which frankly are everywhere and don't even look that great. The interior, features, and just being great out of the box at everything is why the cayenne is the first car I'm keeping long term. Usually I get a new car every year or two.

Last edited by supershaft; 07-31-2022 at 06:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by supershaft:
blackpearl2015 (07-31-2022), OncPorsche (07-31-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 08:27 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 230 Posts

I have PDCC but no rear axle steering. I don't miss it.
blackpearl2015 (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 09:53 AM
Silververtu
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 175 Posts

I have PDCC and RAS but without PTV+ and drove a Cayenne Turbo without any of the 3. I found RAS is very useful and obvious, I felt it right away getting out of the dealer lot and tight parking. PDCC is harder to distinguish (to me relatively) because I wasn't too sure if air suspension is doing the work or PDCC is doing the work. The 4D chassis system blends in so well that everything is so seamless and feels more proactive than reactive..

@Schnave can chip in more since he has 2 Cayenne Turbo with different performance options.

Last edited by Silververtu; 08-01-2022 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:09 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

I have all of the performance options on my GTS except PDCC. Before my '21 GTS, I drove an 06 CS for 15 yrs and found the air suspension, when in sport mode, did a great job of handling body roll. My GTS is not a track car and I don't drive it on the street at speeds where PDCC would be useful. Hence, I passed. YMMV.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:34 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,803 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by Silververtu
@Schnave can chip in more since he has 2 Cayenne Turbo with different performance options.
Thanks Silververtu.

Regarding performance options. Each will enhance the handling and performance, with the exception of PSE (Sport Exhaust). Just look at the options on the press vehicles; they’re loaded up with all the options because Porsche wants to impress the reviewers with the best possible performance. Of course, cost is no factor here.

In another recent thread, the OP was criticized for not reporting the handling performance of his new GTS. That puzzled me. Firstly — it’s a Porsche — of course it handles well! Second, and more importantly, it wears the GTS badge; good handling is a given. Which brings me to my point.

Let’s take a look at how Porsche configures a bare-bones GTS. I wonder which options Porsche considers necessary before they bestow the GTS badge?

Let’s see . . . it comes with Air Suspension and Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM). Good call. But that is also standard equipment on the e-Hybrid and the Turbo.

But which Performance options come standard? Only one:

How about that? Porsche won’t let a GTS leave the factory without PTV+. In fact, the GTS (and Turbo GT) — models renowned for exceptional handling — are the only Cayennes that come standard with PTV+.

The Turbo GT is the biggest, baddest, fastest-around-the-ring Cayenne ever built. In addition to PTV+ the engineers saw fit to add Sport Chrono and PDCC to the standard equipment list. Draw what conclusion you may.

Below, I’ve updated my original post from this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...s-turbo-2.html

Both my wife’s and my Cayenne Turbo suspensions are nearly identical; equipped with 22” P Zero’s inflated to 39/41psi, Rear Axle Steering, PDCC, and PCCB. The only difference is mine has PTV+. I’ve driven about 1,500 miles in hers and about 8,000 miles in mine.

The PTV+ seems to keep the rear end more planted (for want of a better term) when accelerating through a bumpy, decreasing radius, off-camber corner I frequently enjoy, pictured and annotated, below. The PTV+ provides crisp turn in and amazing cornering for a 5,000 lb SUV — like it’s on rails. The Cayenne just rotates faster with PTV+. My wife’s Cayenne (sans PTV+) is not as crisp and likes to wag the tail on power application in the turn.

I thought I had this corner mastered after driving it for 20+ years in my analog 993. I’m relearning it in the Cayenne, with its higher CG, huge horsepower, and portly curb weight. Oh, and the engine is mounted on the wrong end too.😀 Therefore, I can use all the help I can get from electromechanical gadgets to save me from myself.

Is PTV+ a must have? If you drive it like you stole it — you betcha.

Last edited by Schnave; 08-01-2022 at 01:30 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Schnave:
Bablo (08-01-2022), blackpearl2015 (08-01-2022), OncPorsche (08-01-2022), pinion (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 02:15 PM
blackpearl2015
Instructor

Wow, thanks everyone. Really appreciate the thoughtful responses and replies. @Schnave very insightful and helpful write up.
OncPorsche (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 03:45 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

@blackpearl2015 I applaud your decision to purchase CPO vs new. I purchased both my Cayennes used and saved $65K and $50K ($115K total) over the sticker prices. (No disrespect to those who buy new. I’ve purchased a couple new cars and I get it — that new car feeling is hard to beat!)

It took about six months of searching until we found the perfect Cayennes. From what I hear, that’s about the same time it takes to order one new. If you want one with a black interior (seems like half of them were black), your search should be even shorter.

Additionally, both Cayennes were properly sorted and mine came with full PPF. CPO also adds an additional two years to the factory warranty and has unlimited mileage vs 50K miles.

Last edited by Schnave; 08-01-2022 at 04:55 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Schnave:
blackpearl2015 (08-01-2022), i386_64 (09-09-2024), JArnald (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 08:13 PM
blackpearl2015
Instructor

Originally Posted by Schnave
@blackpearl2015 I applaud your decision to purchase CPO vs new. I purchased both my Cayennes used and saved $65K and $50K ($115K total) over the sticker prices. (No disrespect to those who buy new. I’ve purchased a couple new cars and I get it — that new car feeling is hard to beat!)

It took about six months of searching until we found the perfect Cayennes. From what I hear, that’s about the same time it takes to order one new. If you want one with a black interior (seems like half of them were black), your search should be even shorter.

Additionally, both Cayennes were properly sorted and mine came with full PPF. CPO also adds an additional two years to the factory warranty and has unlimited mileage vs 50K miles.
Thanks for the note. I don’t think I will do quite as good as you given the used market right now but there are definitely deals out there particularly if you are open to your search being regional or even national. By the way, I get the CPO advantage and definitely will buy CPO but if my mileage goes above 50k after 3 years versus 4 does CPO kick in at 3 years or does CPO mean 6 years from in service date unlimited mileage regardless? I think I am asking that right.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:13 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Yes, I conducted a national search from Virginia. Bought one in Alabama and the other in Oklahoma. Neither was CPO, so I asked the owners to have the local Porsche dealer conduct a pre-purchase inspection at my expense. Once I received the satisfactory inspections, I flew out, conducted a thorough test drive, and purchased the vehicles. I then drove them home. Great road trips through the Appalachian Mountains!

Check your state’s vehicle sales tax laws. Some states have sales tax reciprocity. On a six-figure car, a few percent difference will be thousands of dollars.

Regarding the CPO warranty. Porsche states the coverage is: “2 Years / Unlimited Miles Warranty after the expiration of the new vehicle limited warranty . . .”
https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/certified-preowned

Regarding your question about when the CPO begins if your Cayenne currently has a factory warranty: Porsche provides this example for clarification:

Purchasing a Porsche Approved CPO (PACPO) vehicle with an active New Vehicle Limited Warranty
In-service Date: 10/12/2020
Mileage: 35,000 miles
The PACPO limited warranty coverage commences at the expiration of the new vehicle limited warranty. In this example, the start of the CPO limited warranty would be 10/12/24 or 50,001 miles, whichever comes first.

Two year extended warranty not long enough? You can purchase a 1-year extension of the standard 2-year/unlimited miles CPO coverage. It’s called CPO+1 Warranty Extension Program. Read all about it here:
https://digital-sales-cdn.slatldisal...ranty_Info.pdf

Of course, you could also purchase an extended warranty through Fidelity or other third party.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-warranty.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...nne-turbo.html

Last edited by Schnave; 08-01-2022 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:15 PM
blackpearl2015
Instructor

Originally Posted by Schnave
Yes, I conducted a national search from Virginia. Bought one in Alabama and the other in Oklahoma. Neither was CPO, so I asked the owners to have the local Porsche dealer conduct a pre-purchase inspection at my expense. Once I received the satisfactory inspections, I flew out, conducted a thorough test drive, and purchased the vehicles. I then drove them home. Great road trips through the Appalachian Mountains!

Check your state’s vehicle sales tax laws. Some states have sales tax reciprocity. On a six-figure car, a few percent difference will be thousands of dollars.

Regarding the CPO warranty. Porsche states the coverage is: “2 Years / Unlimited Miles Warranty after the expiration of the new vehicle limited warranty . . .”
https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/certified-preowned

Regarding your question about when the CPO begins if your Cayenne currently has a factory warranty: Porsche provides this example for clarification:

Purchasing a Porsche Approved CPO (PACPO) vehicle with an active New Vehicle Limited Warranty
In-service Date: 10/12/2020
Mileage: 35,000 miles
The PACPO limited warranty coverage commences at the expiration of the new vehicle limited warranty. In this example, the start of the CPO limited warranty would be 10/12/24 or 50,001 miles, whichever comes first.

Two year extended warranty not long enough? You can purchase a 1-year extension of the standard 2-year/unlimited miles CPO coverage. It’s called CPO+1 Warranty Extension Program. Read all about it here:
https://digital-sales-cdn.slatldisal...ranty_Info.pdf

Of course, you could also purchase an extended warranty through Fidelity or other third party.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-warranty.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...nne-turbo.html

Thanks, very helpful. You must have had a fun drive back. When I purchased my F10 M5 I flew to Corpus Christi to pick it up and drove 16 hours back to Georgia. Had a blast as some of the speed limits in Texas is 80. Sold that car to get my Panamera. Question for you or anyone else. I see lots of info on the battery drain in the Cayenne. How worried should I be about that? Anything I should look for in service records, etc before purchasing?
Old 08-02-2022, 05:59 AM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 250 Posts

I have a 2021 Cayenne Turbo Coupe (I ordered and built the car). After driving a few in stock cars, I decided that air suspension, along with Rear Axle Steering and PTV were the perfect combination. Not saying the Dynamic Chassis Control can’t improve the car more, but remember this is a 5,000lb SUV and not a sports car.

Whatever you decide, do be aware of the rear axle alignment campaign and make sure the car you choose has been corrected and re-aligned, and that Porsche outfitted 2 new rear tires as they tend to wear quickly and on the outside edges prior to the recall being addressed. This also impacts the handling of the car.
blackpearl2015 (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 09:36 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 194 Posts

I don’t have very much time behind the wheel of the new GTS, only about 900 miles. Early assessment is this thing has a great suspension, PDCC and RWS. Going down the highway the ride is so stable. No side to side sway over rough roads it just absorbs the bumps in the roads and keeps the cabin comfortable. There is a road that I have used for 30 years to test suspensions and rides, it has dips in the right lane for storm drains. The last GTS handled ok but always caused side to side bounce in the vehicle. Not in this GTS, no side movement. Right dips but doesn’t rock the passenger. Now I haven’t driven a non-PDCC new GTS on this road to compare but there is no doubt that PDCC is involved. Whatever Porsche has done with the suspension I have to say so far I am very impressed. As far as RWS I am still learning. Our garage is on a tight alley plus I park under the 4 post lift. The new GTS makes backing into the space much easier than the previous GTS. So when thinking about PDCC and RWS is more than just taking it to the track or the occasional run on a curvy highway, it’s about the overall package as a daily driven SUV. So far I have zero regrets about spending the money on PDCC and RWS.

edit: My thought when ordering PDCC is this is a 5000 pound SUV so anything to help stabilize the weight is a good thing.

Last edited by rdboxster; 08-02-2022 at 09:39 AM.
blackpearl2015 (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 12:21 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera-T
Whatever you decide, do be aware of the rear axle alignment campaign and make sure the car you choose has been corrected and re-aligned, and that Porsche outfitted 2 new rear tires as they tend to wear quickly and on the outside edges prior to the recall being addressed. This also impacts the handling of the car.
First time hearing about this recall! Is this for Turbo only, or all Cayenne? Your 21 Turbo was impacted?

Quick Reply: Cayenne Turbo - Advice