Sponsored By:

Opinion about my GTS build

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 11:36 AM
Selpo
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Opinion about my GTS build

New member here and introduced myself in the new member area. Always looked upto Porsche and finally decided to buy one. Currently driving a 2020 M5 and the lease expires June 2023, thought I will get a leg up and start the process now. Have never owned a Porsche or Range Rover and was debating between the new RR or the Cayenne, even though they are miles apart in the driving experience. I love the plush ride of a Mercedes and am slowly getting used to the M5 ride- in comfort mode!

Local RR dealers wanted anywhere from $5000 over MSRP with 12-18 month wait to $25-50K over MSRP!!

I was able to find a Porsche dealer who will order me a GTS at MSRP with no add on's at the time of delivery, new dealer in Central Texas. I have asked him to put my order in for a Q4 2022 build or a Q1 2023 build, as I do not need the vehicle till July 2023.

My build code is PPNLN7V3.

I would love to get your opinion about the timing of the order as well as my build- I was assured that the next allocation is mine to refuse but obviously no guarantees on when that might be.

Thank you all and looking forward to the collective forum expertise and advice.
Old 07-09-2022, 12:53 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist!

As you probably learned, Porsche nickels and dimes you for features such as dimming mirrors, comfort access, lane change assist, and rear cross traffic alert. Those are standard equipment on one the cheapest cars in America, the $19,135 Nissan Versa SR.
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...-drive-review/

You probably assumed your $140K Porsche would have locking wheel bolts. Up until this year, you would have been correct. If you want them, however, you must add them as an optional $60 extra. 😀 I recommend you add them — cheap insurance to keep the good guys honest.

You have a great build and a fine looking GTS. You’re going to love it!

Last edited by Schnave; 07-09-2022 at 02:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Selpo (07-09-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 01:08 PM
armanslr
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 122 Posts

Welcome!

Few thoughts, in my opinion one of the reasons the GTS is a great choice is the GTS interior package, your basically getting deviated stitching through which normally cost 5K, GTS on the headrest, colored seat belts which again is normally a $600 option and just makes the interior more special in my opinion. White on Red is nice, but BMW offered this for years, the race-tex interior just takes the interior up a few notches.

HUD is not that great right now from Porsche, Innodrive is another option I don't think is worth it, it's not anywhere near as good as Tesla Auto Pilot. ACC is good for traffic situations but I would drop the HUD and Innodrive.

Either way you go your going to love the handling of the GTS with PDCC & RAS, the rest is just personal preference.
Selpo (07-09-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 01:34 PM
Selpo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Schnave
Welcome to Rennlist!

As you probably learned, Porsche nickels and dimes you for features such as comfort access, lane change assist, and rear cross traffic alert. Those are standard equipment on one the cheapest cars in America, the $19,135 Nissan Versa SR.
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...-drive-review/

You probably assumed your $140K Porsche would have locking wheel bolts. Up until this year, you would have been correct. If you want them, however, you must add them as an optional $60 extra. 😀 I recommend you add them — cheap insurance to keep the good guys honest.

You have a great build and a fine looking GTS. You’re going to love it!
Thank you @Schnave , yes, one of the reason I have not owned a Porsche yet is their option pricing structure but finally decided to kick my right brain to the curb!

Appreciate your input, will add the wheel locking bolts.
Old 07-09-2022, 01:42 PM
Selpo
Advanced

Originally Posted by armanslr
Welcome!

Few thoughts, in my opinion one of the reasons the GTS is a great choice is the GTS interior package, your basically getting deviated stitching through which normally cost 5K, GTS on the headrest, colored seat belts which again is normally a $600 option and just makes the interior more special in my opinion. White on Red is nice, but BMW offered this for years, the race-tex interior just takes the interior up a few notches.

HUD is not that great right now from Porsche, Innodrive is another option I don't think is worth it, it's not anywhere near as good as Tesla Auto Pilot. ACC is good for traffic situations but I would drop the HUD and Innodrive.

Either way you go your going to love the handling of the GTS with PDCC & RAS, the rest is just personal preference.
Thank you @armanslr , I was going back and forth between the black/ red Race Tex GTS specific interior but finally decided on the full leather as I have always wanted a white exterior/ red interior combo. I am glad you agree with the PDCC and RAS, I will look into the technology package. In my M5, when I use Apple Maps on CarPlay, I get directions in my HUD as well, Is it available in the Cayenne?

Appreciate you all!
Old 07-09-2022, 01:57 PM
armanslr
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 122 Posts

To my knowledge HUD only works on the PCM nav. I only had a brief demo of the HUD on a Cayenne test drive but I think you'll feel the BMW HUD is better.

Porsche is all about quality materials and the drive qualities, the tech part they are still behind other manufacturers.

Go check out the race tex interior if you can, for me that would the the must have option if I was getting a GTS.
Selpo (07-09-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 02:10 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Selpo
Thank you @armanslr , I was going back and forth between the black/ red Race Tex GTS specific interior but finally decided on the full leather as I have always wanted a white exterior/ red interior combo. I am glad you agree with the PDCC and RAS, I will look into the technology package. In my M5, when I use Apple Maps on CarPlay, I get directions in my HUD as well, Is it available in the Cayenne?
When you order the Premium Package Plus, you get the 14-way seats and you can upgrade to the 18-way seats for just a few hundred more. That's what I did and I recommend it. I like the HUD and yes, if you use the PCM navi system, you'll see the directions on the HUD. However, if you use the CarPlay navi system, either Apple or Google, you will not see the directions on the HUD. If I'm on the road trip, I use the PCM navi and keep Google Maps on CarPlay for traffic.

In a post above, it's recommended to drop InnoDrive but if you do, you will lose Active Lane Keep which is very good at keeping the car in the center of the lane. The Lane Change Assist in the Perf Package is a lane departure system and will bump steer you back in the lane but does not keep you centered. When driving on the freeway, I use ACC and ALK and the system works well.

I also recommend the roof rails because they are cheap and cannot be easily installed after the fact. If you don't, one of these days you might need a roof box to transport skis and extra luggage and you'll be kicking yourself.

Nice Build, GL.
Selpo (07-09-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 02:32 PM
Selpo
Advanced

Originally Posted by armanslr
To my knowledge HUD only works on the PCM nav. I only had a brief demo of the HUD on a Cayenne test drive but I think you'll feel the BMW HUD is better.

Porsche is all about quality materials and the drive qualities, the tech part they are still behind other manufacturers.

Go check out the race tex interior if you can, for me that would the the must have option if I was getting a GTS.
Good idea, I will ask my SA to let me know if a GTS comes in with Race-Tex.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:38 PM
Selpo
Advanced

Originally Posted by dasams
When you order the Premium Package Plus, you get the 14-way seats and you can upgrade to the 18-way seats for just a few hundred more. That's what I did and I recommend it. I like the HUD and yes, if you use the PCM navi system, you'll see the directions on the HUD. However, if you use the CarPlay navi system, either Apple or Google, you will not see the directions on the HUD. If I'm on the road trip, I use the PCM navi and keep Google Maps on CarPlay for traffic.

In a post above, it's recommended to drop InnoDrive but if you do, you will lose Active Lane Keep which is very good at keeping the car in the center of the lane. The Lane Change Assist in the Perf Package is a lane departure system and will bump steer you back in the lane but does not keep you centered. When driving on the freeway, I use ACC and ALK and the system works well.

I also recommend the roof rails because they are cheap and cannot be easily installed after the fact. If you don't, one of these days you might need a roof box to transport skis and extra luggage and you'll be kicking yourself.

Nice Build, GL.
Thank you @dasams , I do like the look of 18 way seats but cannot get it with the massage function, unfortunately. I also read somewhere that the back seats will not fold completely flat with the 18 way while it will do so with the 14 way- not sure if that is correct.

Good call on the ALK and the roof rails, although I have a trailer hit carrier which I have used once or twice to lug stuff around. I agree that having options on ways to carry stuff is always good.

Thanks again!
Old 07-09-2022, 02:43 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

I also read somewhere that the back seats will not fold completely flat with the 18 way while it will do so with the 14 way- not sure if that is correct.
My back seats do not fold flat but I wasn't aware that they did if you have 14-way eats.
Old 07-09-2022, 03:46 PM
Selpo
Advanced

Originally Posted by dasams
My back seats do not fold flat but I wasn't aware that they did if you have 14-way eats.
I am pretty sure I read that somewhere in this forum discussing 14 vs 18 way seats, I will try to find that post but again, not sure if it is true.
Old 07-09-2022, 06:20 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Appreciate you all!
Nope, sadly CarPlay/Apple Maps etc doesn't integrate with the HUD

I still opted for it on my Turbo, but I would say it's not necessary. The only use for me is to keep eyes on the road rather than glance down at the dash for speed/RPMs, that's really it and the projection itself is small
Old 07-09-2022, 06:24 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

You have an awesome build, love the metallic white on red GTS is a very attractive trim for the Cayenne

Since you asked for opinions:

- Personally not sure how the dark walnut trim goes with the very sporty GTS spec you have with the black wheels and red interior, I'd do CF or some sort of aluminum trim

- I love having CF or wood on the steering wheel, vs all leather. I've opted for wood wheel on my last 2 Cayennes

- 14 vs 18 way seats, you'll find people in both camps. I'm in the 18 way camp as a far more comfortable seat for me, but best bet is for your SA to get you into 2 different Cayennes to feel for yourself what suits your body type and feels better

Old 07-09-2022, 07:16 PM
Selpo
Advanced

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Nope, sadly CarPlay/Apple Maps etc doesn't integrate with the HUD

I still opted for it on my Turbo, but I would say it's not necessary. The only use for me is to keep eyes on the road rather than glance down at the dash for speed/RPMs, that's really it and the projection itself is small
Thank you for the info. It is unfortunate that CarPlay Nav does not show up on HUD but I am like you, I think the info there will keep me looking down less often.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:28 PM
Selpo
Advanced

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
You have an awesome build, love the metallic white on red GTS is a very attractive trim for the Cayenne

Since you asked for opinions:

- Personally not sure how the dark walnut trim goes with the very sporty GTS spec you have with the black wheels and red interior, I'd do CF or some sort of aluminum trim

- I love having CF or wood on the steering wheel, vs all leather. I've opted for wood wheel on my last 2 Cayennes

- 14 vs 18 way seats, you'll find people in both camps. I'm in the 18 way camp as a far more comfortable seat for me, but best bet is for your SA to get you into 2 different Cayennes to feel for yourself what suits your body type and feels better
Thank you @sampelligrino for your opinion- I really wanted the heated wood and leather steering wheel but the configurator removed the Assistance package. I can add the individual options in the assistance package but it is $2700 more! I will look into it and see if I can convince myself that it is necessary! I have had the wood and leather AMG steering wheel in the past and one thing I noticed was the wood parts got extremely hot when I was parked in the sun for any length of time. Have you noticed the same with your steering wheel?

I agree with CF but am a big fan of the warmth of wood and convinced myself that it will look better with the full leather interior.

I love the look of the 18 way seats but unfortunately cannot get it with the massage function.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Opinion about my GTS build