Sponsored By:

Opinion about my GTS build

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 09:33 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Selpo
Thank you @sampelligrino for your opinion- I really wanted the heated wood and leather steering wheel but the configurator removed the Assistance package. I can add the individual options in the assistance package but it is $2700 more! I will look into it and see if I can convince myself that it is necessary! I have had the wood and leather AMG steering wheel in the past and one thing I noticed was the wood parts got extremely hot when I was parked in the sun for any length of time. Have you noticed the same with your steering wheel?

I agree with CF but am a big fan of the warmth of wood and convinced myself that it will look better with the full leather interior.

I love the look of the 18 way seats but unfortunately cannot get it with the massage function.

Thanks again!
So on my latest I added most assistance features but didn't want lane keep or innodrive, but for me having the wood wheel was a big priority for me (might not be for you or others)

It definitely gets warm when parked in the sun, but never to the point of discomfort. For what it's worth I always put ceramic tint on my windshield and front windows for heat rejection purposes anyways which probably helps...

Old 07-09-2022, 09:47 PM
Selpo
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Good to know, thank you. Stupid question- I have considered ceramic tint for my windshield but always wondered how and where to place the registration sticker annually?

I definitely do not need night assist and will look into innodrive. I agree that the wood and leather steering wheel looks amazing.
Old 07-10-2022, 01:28 PM
othertbone
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 209 Posts

I agree the 18 way seats should be considered as well as the gts racetex interior. Both suit the gts with it's much sportier trim.

Most people get the gts for a more aggressive look and driving experience. I feel your build, while great looking, is trying to be two different builds in one. You are taking the sportiest trim and making it extra comfortable, trying to have the best of both worlds, but doing neither to their best potential. For example, you want PDCC and sport chrono, but not the more bolstered seats. You're doing soft close doors, puddle lights, premium door sills, but not club interior. It's just a bit confusing to me, I don't mean to be rude, you asked for opinions and everyone's got on right? Just trying to be helpful.

If I were looking for all that comfort, I wouldn't do it in a gts, I'd get a turbo or an S platinum depending on budget and spend your money on a complete set of comfort options..
The following users liked this post:
Selpo (07-10-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 02:38 PM
Selpo
Advanced

Originally Posted by othertbone
I agree the 18 way seats should be considered as well as the gts racetex interior. Both suit the gts with it's much sportier trim.

Most people get the gts for a more aggressive look and driving experience. I feel your build, while great looking, is trying to be two different builds in one. You are taking the sportiest trim and making it extra comfortable, trying to have the best of both worlds, but doing neither to their best potential. For example, you want PDCC and sport chrono, but not the more bolstered seats. You're doing soft close doors, puddle lights, premium door sills, but not club interior. It's just a bit confusing to me, I don't mean to be rude, you asked for opinions and everyone's got on right? Just trying to be helpful.

If I were looking for all that comfort, I wouldn't do it in a gts, I'd get a turbo or an S platinum depending on budget and spend your money on a complete set of comfort options..
Thank you @othertbone for your opinion, you hit the nail on the head! As a background, I really like the ride in a Mercedes and comfort mode in my M5 is stiff for me.

I love the GTS exterior look and stance but like wood, leather and comfy stuff on the inside. I did not do 18 way seats as they do not come with massage function and I did not choose club leather as I want the Red interior.

I thought PDCC makes the ride more comfy in the turns. I have been thinking about the sport chrono as well as I may only use it once in a blue moon.

Are there options to make the Turbo look like a GTS exterior? I could not find it in the configurator. No hard budget limit but just like most people, would like to keep it reasonable.

What would you recommend if comfy ride is my goal with a V8 under the hood- remove sport chrono and PDCC, keep the RAS? Go Turbo with possibly a sporty exterior package if available and add RAS?

I really appreciate your thought process and your opinion.
Old 07-10-2022, 03:16 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,354 Posts

PDCC actually makes your ride more comfortable.

Torsion anti-roll bars are a compromise between cornering behavior (stiffer is better) and poor ride when driving over bumps (softer is better). Additionally, front and rear roll bar balance affects over and understeer. This balance is fixed at the factory. (More on this below).

PDCC solves all that. It has a soft anti-roll setting when traveling over straight, bumpy roads. A bump on one side won’t affect the other side. In fact, it can work in reverse to provide large wheel articulation for off-road performance. When needed, the PDCC motor will provide instant counter force to maintain a level chassis up to 0.8 G.

And here’s a great, added benefit of PDCC: The system can vary the front-rear roll bias to instantly correct for under and oversteer. 👍🏼👍🏼

Here’s a video from Porsche with animations and cut-aways explaining PDCC on the Cayenne:

Regarding Sport Chrono Package: Let me reiterate from an earlier post questioning the need for it:

The Sport Chrono package gives you much more than a fancy Mode Switch on the steering wheel:
  • Sport Plus Mode — Even more aggressive throttle and transmission mapping than Sport, along with sportier PASM and spring rates.
  • Launch Control — Porsche calls it Performance Start; available when Sport Plus Mode is selected. This will make you giggle like a teenager! 😀
  • Sport Response Button — Many call this the Fun Button. Push the button to get 20 seconds of very aggressive engine and transmission mapping that will put a smile on your face.
  • PSM Sport Mode — The electronic nanny is more relaxed and allows you to wag the tail and slip the wheels a little more before it saves you from yourself. PSM Mode is selectable: Normal, Sport, and OFF.
You get none of these fun-filled features unless you spec the Sport Chrono Package.

Last edited by Schnave; 07-27-2022 at 09:14 AM.
SilverSteel (02-02-2023)
Old 07-10-2022, 03:20 PM
Selpo
Advanced

Okay, I configured a Turbo with the sport exterior package and same options as my GTS and the total came to 160K whereas my GTS came to 132K with removal of PDCC, sport chrono, night vision and Innodrive and adding the wood and leather steering wheel. Do you think the ride will be that much more comfortable in the Turbo @othertbone ?

Thank you.

Old 07-10-2022, 03:24 PM
Selpo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Schnave
PDCC actually makes your ride more comfortable.

Torsion anti-roll bars are a compromise between cornering behavior (stiffer is better) and poor ride when driving over bumps (softer is better). Additionally, front and rear roll bar balance affects over and understeer. This balance is fixed at the factory. (More on this below).

PDCC solves all that. It has a soft anti-roll setting when traveling over straight, bumpy roads. A bump on one side won’t affect the other side. In fact, it can work in reverse to provide large wheel articulation for off-road performance. When needed, the PDCC motor will provide instant counter force to maintain a level chassis up to 0.8 G.

And here’s a great, added benefit of PDCC: The system can vary the front-rear roll bias to instantly correct for under and oversteer. 👍🏼👍🏼

Regarding Sport Chrono Package: Let me reiterate from an earlier post questioning the need for it:

The Sport Chrono package gives you much more than a fancy Mode Switch on the steering wheel:
  • Sport Plus Mode — Even more aggressive throttle and transmission mapping than Sport, along with sportier PASM and spring rates.
  • Launch Control — Porsche calls it Performance Start; available when Sport Plus Mode is selected. This will make you giggle like a teenager! 😀
  • Sport Response Button — Many call this the Fun Button. Push the button to get 20 seconds of very aggressive engine and transmission mapping that will put a smile on your face.
  • PSM Sport Mode — The electronic nanny is more relaxed and allows you to wag the tail and slip the wheels a little more before it saves you from yourself. PSM Mode is selectable: Normal, Sport, and OFF.
You get none of these fun-filled features unless you spec the Sport Chrono Package.
Thank you for the great explanation @Schnave . I will keep the PDCC and the sport chrono package.
Old 07-10-2022, 06:22 PM
othertbone
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 209 Posts

Okay, I configured a Turbo with the sport exterior package and same options as my GTS and the total came to 160K whereas my GTS came to 132K with removal of PDCC, sport chrono, night vision and Innodrive and adding the wood and leather steering wheel. Do you think the ride will be that much more comfortable in the Turbo @othertbone ?

Thank you.

Schnave is the resident expert so you can feel very confident in his explanation. I would just find out if the the GTS tuned suspension will be to your liking since you are not fond of the M5 with the tight suspension.
Selpo (07-11-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 07:36 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Okay, I configured a Turbo with the sport exterior package and same options as my GTS . . .
So the Turbo caught your eye, did it? Lots and lots of threads and magazine articles comparing the two. Great reading if you’re on the fence!

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-vs-turbo.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...k-to-back.html

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ne-gts-review/

Last edited by Schnave; 07-10-2022 at 07:42 PM.
Selpo (07-10-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 09:31 AM
Selpo
Advanced

Originally Posted by othertbone
Schnave is the resident expert so you can feel very confident in his explanation. I would just find out if the the GTS tuned suspension will be to your liking since you are not fond of the M5 with the tight suspension.
Good idea, will look for a GTS close to me to test drive
Old 07-11-2022, 09:32 AM
Selpo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Schnave
So the Turbo caught your eye, did it? Lots and lots of threads and magazine articles comparing the two. Great reading if you’re on the fence!

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...k-to-back.html

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ne-gts-review/
Thank you, lot of good info… now I am getting paralysis by analysis!!
Old 07-15-2022, 04:05 PM
RothMayzor
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I bought my car, I went for a long time and chose a dealer. It was important to me that there was a test drive service, and no matter how it sounds, so that I could buy exactly the car I drove. I just had the experience when they told me that this one is already on order and we will sell you an identical one. But she was not identical
Old 07-19-2022, 09:38 AM
Rischey
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for sport chrono explanation. I have 280 miles on my 22 GTS. Will forget about these details for another 1700 miles I suppose??
Old 07-19-2022, 02:48 PM
Selpo
Advanced

Originally Posted by RothMayzor
Before I bought my car, I went for a long time and chose a dealer. It was important to me that there was a test drive service, and no matter how it sounds, so that I could buy exactly the car I drove. I just had the experience when they told me that this one is already on order and we will sell you an identical one. But she was not identical
Good idea... planning on test driving both a GTS and a Turbo before finalizing my build
Old 07-19-2022, 02:48 PM
Selpo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rischey
Thanks for sport chrono explanation. I have 280 miles on my 22 GTS. Will forget about these details for another 1700 miles I suppose??
That would be the smart thing to do before you try out the Launch control

Quick Reply: Opinion about my GTS build